Walkie Talkies

annestis

We have 2 kids and I'm sure will want to part ways at some point. I don't like being disconnected. What about cell service?
Depends.....

• If you are near land and the signals are able to penetrate the ship's metal. They are great when you are not in a dead zone.
  • Are you prepared to get a ship wifi package when you are away from land? Love the Disney $89 1/gb package. No experience on Carnival.

Edited by xlxo

We tried them. Found them to be extremely noisy and disturbing to other passengers. A lot of squawking and beeping. Then I could never hear my daughter very good over all the normal din of the ship. ( music, voices etc). Would end up screaming into the thing and still not able to hear each other. Worked great while in our cabin testing the things where it was quiet, not so much while actually out and about. Gave up trying to use them very quick!! This was a $70 pair I bought on the ship. Maybe there is a better one that isn't so loud and intrusive that you can purchase before getting on the ship.

We wanted to keep track of kids too but didn't find them very helpful.

For $5 pp for the entire cruise you can just text each other on board using the new system.

I agree, communication technology has come so far as to make walkie-talkies a quaintness from a bygone era. Our kids wouldn't want to be seen holding a walkie-talkie much less trying to use one. Come to think of it, neither would we. :)