Carnival's enhanced Internet access offer

cruza

It's likely coming.

On the investor call they noted how onboard revenue growth has been driven primarily by he VOOM! internet on their 2 biggest ships.

So since it's growing revenue, they are going to want to get it out to as many ships as they can.

I think that the delay in implementation may be due to existing term contracts with the current provider and equipment, and that change will happen as those leases expire over time.

I also read some where (maybe with was the Live chat with X CEO) that they realize social media is important, and are looking to add a "social media" package for access to FB, twitter etc only, but have yet to see anymore talk about that.

The biggest issue is existing equipment and bandwidth and being able to handle more users.

As they are starting unlimited packages on X, and giving suite free internet, I think they are watching to see how to enhance the service and what kind of "pickup" rate they are getting.

I can say on my Connie TA this spring, I was happy with the service even mid-Atlantic.

There's already some sort of "social" package on the site (I booked my first cruise on X last week and was poking around). But it's obvious things are in flux, for example there is a 90 minute package that is $59 ... And a 24 hour package ...that is also $59. O.o (This is for the sailing in my sig, prices on website as of last week.) There was a social package that referenced FB etc but didn't spell out what that entailed.

Meanwhile, in June I paid $179 for unlimited internet for the week on NCL GA, so I hope X brings prices down from what I see currently (almost twice that for my upcoming five day).

Edited by perditax

Sadly the day is coming that people on cruise ships will be glued to their smart phones, texting and looking down instead of all the wonder around them.

Don't get me wrong, I understand the need for being connected. My wife must have internet while we cruise as she teaches Online university courses, it's great that we can be halfway across the world and her students never know it. But there's a line between being connected and staying on the darn things. She does what she needs to do early in the morning and in the late evenings, and then the device is turned off the rest of the time.

Don't get me wrong, I understand the need for being connected. My wife must have internet while we cruise as she teaches Online university courses, it's great that we can be halfway across the world and her students never know it. But there's a line between being connected and staying on the darn things. She does what she needs to do early in the morning and in the late evenings, and then the device is turned off the rest of the time.

I fall to the side of your wife. Internet at sea allows me to untether from the ground and cruise more often.

God bless the internet!

Sadly the day is coming that people on cruise ships will be glued to their smart phones, texting and looking down instead of all the wonder around them.

Unfortunately, it already happens when in Alaska or Key West, or any other U.S. port. The phones immediately come out! :( I swear some people are going to end up with their heads permanently at a 30° angle - looking down. 'Tis sad.