Considering NCL and have a few ??

sunnysask

We're looking at NCL Spirit for Nov 2016 because it looks like a great itinerary and we also like the idea of a more casual atmosphere.

We have cruised HAL ,Carnival and mostly Princess, preferring the "anytime dining". Reading this forum has been quite confusing.

I know food is a personal preference (we've never eaten at specialty restaurants on other lines and have been satisfied) but are the meals in the MDR so bad that most people get the ultimate dining?

It seems if you do get the UD that you have to prebook all your meals? How successful would you be showing up around 8 pm for a meal?

If we don't get the UD and we want to eat in one of the extra pay restaurants what chance to we have for making a res. (is priority given to those with the UD pkg.)

If we drink a few of glasses of wine each per day and the occasional beer for my DH is the UB package a better deal than the UD?

Ive also read that some people seem to get more than one "perk", are there times when NCL puts on promos for Europe?

Thanks in advance for your responses. :)

Welcome to NCL!!!!

Yes, food is pretty subjective, but if the food were so bad in the MDRs they would not be packed every night. Everyone does not get the UDP. In fact, most don't and find the food just fine. I can't say I have liked everything I have had in the MDR, but I have always found something I liked and some things I liked very much! And if I didn't get enough for dinner, I can just go to the buffet or OSheehans later and fix that.

They only set aside so many tables in the specialty dining rooms for reservations. It seems they leave some available for walk ins. I think it is sort of hit or miss with that. There are typically boards throughout the ship letting you know how crowded the restaurants are and if tables are available, so you don't have to wander around, but if there is definitely something special you want at a specific time, then I would recommend a reservation. I know last December when i was on the Epic, I was told by the reservations person that no tables for reservation were available at the time I wanted, but she also said that I could just show up at that time and there would likely be room. I did and she was right.

It doesn't seem UDP gets priority, and it is more first come first serve. Again, they limit the preboarding reservation times as well as reservations once you are on board. The exceptions to that might be Teppanyaki because of the limited seating and Le Bistro, but really I don't know.

It's easy to do the math regarding drinks and various people have done it here. Seems like it was something like 7 or 8 drinks a day to break if you purchased it outright. For us we would not even drink enough to make it worth only paying the gratuity on the "free" perk. Again you will have to do your own math based on how you drink.

It did seem that two perks was the promotion in Europe early on, but someone who has more experience would need to answer that for you.

I really don't know why some people slam the food the way they do. I didn't have to cook it or clean up the mess. That's great!!! None of the restaurants seem to be liked by true foodies, but the people cooking are cooking for thousands every night. Keeping that in mind, I think they do a remarkable job. But that just me.....and it's all really subjective.

Edited by drvalo

I am about to head out for my 26th Norwegian cruise. I have had to purchase either the dining or beverage packages. Most of my meals are in the main dining rooms. I have to watch my diet very carefully and always find things I can eat. I would not worry about it. If you would like to eat in a Speciality, you can always make a reservation on that day or go ask, might have short wait but if they can, they will serve.

The Spirit is a wonderful ship with a great staff. Have fun.

We're looking at NCL Spirit for Nov 2016 because it looks like a great itinerary and we also like the idea of a more casual atmosphere.

We have cruised HAL ,Carnival and mostly Princess, preferring the "anytime dining". Reading this forum has been quite confusing.

I know food is a personal preference (we've never eaten at specialty restaurants on other lines and have been satisfied) but are the meals in the MDR so bad that most people get the ultimate dining?

You don't have to eat specialty to get a good meal, but people are willing to so NCL offers the option.

It seems if you do get the UD that you have to prebook all your meals? How successful would you be showing up around 8 pm for a meal? Seems people have commented about easy seating late, though I can't recall reading a lot of comments on the Spirit. I've only sailed the Sky and about to sail the Getaway in a few weeks, so I've read more on those and the ships out of the NE.

If we don't get the UD and we want to eat in one of the extra pay restaurants what chance to we have for making a res. (is priority given to those with the UD pkg.) Pkg shouldn't make a difference, book as you see fit.

If we drink a few of glasses of wine each per day and the occasional beer for my DH is the UB package a better deal than the UD? I don't drink alcohol at all, but NCL has a wine package, if that is your drink of choice you may want to consider that package. Depending on how hubby likes his beers on of the bucket of beers packages might be helpful.

Ive also read that some people seem to get more than one "perk", are there times when NCL puts on promos for Europe?multiple perks have been part of the deal for higher cabin levels, just check the terms of the current offers. The current promotion is for all itineraries, so Europe is included.[/COLOR]

Sounds like you have a good idea of what you want and what you value in a cruise experience. Keep your wits about you, build the trip you want and have a blast!

Edited by Nola26

Thanks to all of you for your replies, you've certainly cleared up some of the confusion I felt when I first started browsing this board and im sure we can figure out what will work for us next fall. Ive read some great reviews of the Venice to Barcelona cruise in the Spirit!

Don't panic too much about being able to get into the speciality restaurants. Both times I've been on the Spirit, there has generally been good availability most nights everywhere other than Teppenyaki.

Personally, I wouldn't even consider the dining package on the Spirit (not that I would on any ship, but especially not here). There are only 4 speciality restaurants. A family we are with got the package and are basically fed up of Cagneys and Le Bistro. They have started using the complementary places instead now.

If we drink a few of glasses of wine each per day and the occasional beer for my DH is the UB package a better deal than the UD?

If "a few" means THREE, then your best bet from the promo perks is probably the UBP. If less than that, you are probably better off with the free DSC. Assuming you don't adjust DSC, that perk is worth about $94 pp. The dining package is worth $74 pp (4 nights of specialty dining), and you have to pay 18% of that amount, too. UBP costs you $70 pp for the service charges, so you'll need to drink $70 + $94 (opportunity cost of the free DSC) = $164 pp over the 7 days to make it "pay." This is between 2 and 3 drinks per day, pp, which most any drinker(s) should be able to handle.

Right now the dining package is only second (and probably only third) best, no matter what. The free DSC beats it easily. If you drink at all, UBP easily beats dining package, too. The shore excursion credits and/or internet minutes are both inferior to the other choices. Pax 3+ sail free is the best option, but only for specific low demand cruises, and only if you have others you want to cram into your stateroom.

If "a few" means THREE, then your best bet from the promo perks is probably the UBP. If less than that, you are probably better off with the free DSC. Assuming you don't adjust DSC, that perk is worth about $94 pp. The dining package is worth $74 pp (4 nights of specialty dining), and you have to pay 18% of that amount, too. UBP costs you $70 pp for the service charges, so you'll need to drink $70 + $94 (opportunity cost of the free DSC) = $164 pp over the 7 days to make it "pay." This is between 2 and 3 drinks per day, pp, which most any drinker(s) should be able to handle.

Right now the dining package is only second (and probably only third) best, no matter what. The free DSC beats it easily. If you drink at all, UBP easily beats dining package, too. The shore excursion credits and/or internet minutes are both inferior to the other choices. Pax 3+ sail free is the best option, but only for specific low demand cruises, and only if you have others you want to cram into your stateroom.

This is a 12 day cruise we are looking at and "a few" can easily turn into a several over the course of an evening, and then there are the sea days, so its looking like the UBP might be the best value.

thanks again for the explanation

This is a 12 day cruise we are looking at and "a few" can easily turn into a several over the course of an evening, and then there are the sea days, so its looking like the UBP might be the best value.

thanks again for the explanation

And a 12 night cruise only gets you five specialties with the dining package as your perk, so it's only another $15 in value over the 7 night cruise package (four specialties), while that UBP keeps on chugging, day after day!

It seems if you do get the UD that you have to prebook all your meals? How successful would you be showing up around 8 pm for a meal?

If we don't get the UD and we want to eat in one of the extra pay restaurants what chance to we have for making a res. (is priority given to those with the UD pkg.)

Ive also read that some people seem to get more than one "perk", are there times when NCL puts on promos for Europe?

ok, let me give you my response to your quesitons and no one will agree 100%.

Absolutely no reason to eat in specialty dining rooms all the nights or any, if you don't want to. We have sailed Princess, HAL and Carnival plus other lines. Yes, food is subjective, but we haven't found Princess food better than NCl. If fact, for us, we enjoy NCL a little better and we enjoy Freestyle more than Personal Choice, because we can get a table for 2 or 4 easier. People choose UD often because it is part of the perks offered. It is nice and satisfying to choose a specialty dining room once or twice. We have done this on all lines, but not something you need to worry about.

Do you have to make reservations ahead of time, if you choose the UD package or just decide you would like to eat in restaurant XTZ some night? No, not really, but if you normally dine at the popular dining times you might have to wait. This is something you can decide. We do happen to choose to make our reservations the day we get on the ship.

Whether the drink or the dinner perk is better is up to individual. We like our wine with dinner and usually a couple more drinks throughout the day, but not constantly. We are looking forward to having it taken care of before we cruise. We will enjoy a drink before dinner, maybe one during the show, or even while we enjoy the activities in the morning. It is just nice to know we don't have to worry about the bill when the cruise is over.

Whether the drink or the dinner perk is better is up to individual. We like our wine with dinner and usually a couple more drinks throughout the day, but not constantly. We are looking forward to having it taken care of before we cruise. We will enjoy a drink before dinner, maybe one during the show, or even while we enjoy the activities in the morning. It is just nice to know we don't have to worry about the bill when the cruise is over.

For those considering taking the SDP as their promo perk, the relevant comparisons aren't with UBP but with the free DSC. That gives you $13.50 pppd, while on a benchmark 7 day cruise you get just four specialty dinners with the SDP perk. NCL will sell a four-night SDP for $79 (plus 18 percent). You don't have to be a math whiz to see that (7 x 13.50) > (4 x 19.75). In other words, take the free DSC as your perk and if you want specialty dining, buy your SDP and you are definitely ahead on the game. (And the longer the cruise, the better is the free DSC deal vs. SDP.)

Just to throw in my quick two cents..

I greatly enjoyed the food in the MDR and at the buffet on NCL. We ate specialty dining a couple of times on Epic (Le Bistro and Moderno). I would absolutely love eating at either of them because it's a more unique experience for us (we can eat at a great steakhouse or hibachi, etc. at home but a Brazilian food fest and French restaurant aren't common). We enjoyed the MDR as well with plenty of options. I spent every night finding a new favorite (their soups were fantastic)! That being said, we will be getting UBP on our upcoming cruise because we will more than get our value out of that option. We will book Moderno because we enjoy it so much and think our DS will love it as well.

I have sailed Princess and I am thinking of trying NCL. Can you tell me why, if I sailed Princess I would not like NCL?

We have sailed both, and were not unhappy with Princess (in fact we're looking at an itinerary they have for 2017). But we prefer NCL.

So it depends on what "floats your boat" so to speak. Princess has larger cabins, I think, and larger balconies. NCL has slower service in the dining room, and while the food isn't presented as well as it was on Princess, it tastes about the same to us. Princess still has "formal nights" where you have to eat in the buffet if you don't want to break out the dressy clothes, even if you choose their any time dining plan (at least that was the case last time we sailed them).

So in that mix of differences we noticed the thing that tips us in favor of NCL is the Freestyle dining. Not only no set dining times, but no formal nights, so if we want to eat in the MDR every night we can.