Bora Bora excursion help

olesiabr

Yay! It's finally time to pick excursions!

In Bora Bora, which ship sponsored snorkeling tour is better: "Rays and snorkeling by jetboat" or "stingray ballet and snorkel safari"?

We have plenty of OBC but I wouldn't be opposed to a private tour if anyone has any suggestions.

Thanks so much!

Hi, I've done both on Moorea, and there is little similarity.

The catamaran trip is on a, uh, catamaran, with a max of about a dozen people. Very nice boat, they provide cocktails. You sail out of the bay towards the barrier reef and then they anchor and everybody gets to snorkel if they wish. Deep water, but no current as I remember. I can't remember if they provide flotation devices if you need them. Very nice and relaxing. My husband just stayed on the boat and enjoyed the view.

The lagoon discovery is in a typical small group boat. They take you to an area where they feed stingrays and you can watch (can't remember if you get in the water with them or not), then they take you to an area near a motu where you can snorkel. We saw a pregnant ray, that was a treat.

On Bora Bora the Stingray Ballet is similar, but much better, in my opinion. They take you to an area where there are stingrays and small black-tipped sharks. You get out of the boat and can walk in chest-deep water. They feed the rays and you can participate. Then they take you to some nearby coral heads where you can snorkel--again, no current to speak of, but deeper water, and you have to be careful snorkelling around coral heads since sometimes they are very shallow.

Haven't done the jetboat version.

I also recommend the Stingray Ballet. My husband and I went on a few snorkeling excursions when we were in Bora Bora last December, and this was by far, our favorite. We have not tried Pure Snorkeling but is sounds like something we may want to when we return next year.