Smoking on balconies

Joanandjoe

We have a hold on a Signature Suite for an Oosterdam cruise on 3/11/16, and had been leaning toward making our deposit. However, when we checked CC for HAL's smoking policy, we were shocked to learn that HAL allows smoking of cigarettes, cigars, and pipes on stateroom balconies. It's been about 10 years since we last sailed on a cruise line that allowed smoking on balconies.

This could be a deal breaker for us. I (Joe) am hyper sensitive to smoke, and only book rooms in smoke free hotels. I'm afraid that a smoker nearby could result in smoke on our balcony, or even in our room. That would make the room or balcony uninhabitable for me.

I would appreciate thoughts from nonsmokers who have been near smokers on a HAL cruise. Can the smoke become a major irritant? This is not meant to be a pro or anti-smoking diatribe, but merely information gathering from someone whose allergies have already caused him to cancel a cruise on another cruise line. I don't want to book this cruise, and then have to cancel it.

We have a hold on a Signature Suite for an Oosterdam cruise on 3/11/16, and had been leaning toward making our deposit. However, when we checked CC for HAL's smoking policy, we were shocked to learn that HAL allows smoking of cigarettes, cigars, and pipes on stateroom balconies. It's been about 10 years since we last sailed on a cruise line that allowed smoking on balconies.

This could be a deal breaker for us. I (Joe) am hyper sensitive to smoke, and only book rooms in smoke free hotels. I'm afraid that a smoker nearby could result in smoke on our balcony, or even in our room. That would make the room or balcony uninhabitable for me.

I would appreciate thoughts from nonsmokers who have been near smokers on a HAL cruise. Can the smoke become a major irritant? This is not meant to be a pro or anti-smoking diatribe, but merely information gathering from someone whose allergies have already caused him to cancel a cruise on another cruise line. I don't want to book this cruise, and then have to cancel it.

Please go and check our threads.

We have exhausted this subject. Since cruise lines have changed smoking policies last year HAL is soooooo slow to change! We thought by our last big cruise in March it would of been handled. Nope!

So we will see if next year in Oct for our big Europe cruise if it will happen!

Do not count on it!

Bummer.

Denise:)

Anywhere smoking is allowed, there is a risk you might be affected.

We have not been subjected to balcony smoke on most of our HAL cruises, but the risk does exist and there is nothing we could do about it if it happened as it is allowed. We would do the best of a bad situation.

Only you can determine the effect on your vacation such a situation would cause and how you could deal with it.

If you see it as a serious problem, do yourself a favour and book on another cruise line.