bringing liquor bought in port on to Carnival ship

Ubaldo

I've read the policy that states that any prohibited beverages will be confiscated and not returned. I have also read some older threads on these fora that seem to state that liquor can be purchased in port and stored on the ship until debarkation. I'd like to purchase a few bottles of tequila from Mexico when we stop there this fall. If this is allowable, would someone please explain the process.

I've read the policy that states that any prohibited beverages will be confiscated and not returned. I have also read some older threads on these fora that seem to state that liquor can be purchased in port and stored on the ship until debarkation. I'd like to purchase a few bottles of tequila from Mexico when we stop there this fall. If this is allowable, would someone please explain the process.

When you re-board the ship with your purchase there is a table, where it is collected, labeled and taken to be stored. You either pick it up on the night before you disembark or that morning. The location will be announced on the ship.

The prohibition about bring it on board at all is when you originally board the ship.

As zqvol stated, any alcohol you purchase while in port is collected and stored until either the last night (for luggage express passengers) or you will be notified of where to pick it up on the morning of disembarkation (for everyone else).

One other thing to be aware of is that you are only allowed one liter per person duty free. Any more than that and it is possible that you may be charged a duty once you get back to port. I say it is possible because the customs officer may just wave you through if you don't appear to be trying to stock a liquor store.:p I have brought as many as 10 liters back to Port Canaveral and Tampa and was waved through, but I brought back 8 to Jacksonville and the officer made me pay the duty. It is based on the proof of the liquor and mine was $11 and change for the extra 7 liters.

As zqvol stated, any alcohol you purchase while in port is collected and stored until either the last night (for luggage express passengers) or you will be notified of where to pick it up on the morning of disembarkation (for everyone else).

One other thing to be aware of is that you are only allowed one liter per person duty free. Any more than that and it is possible that you may be charged a duty once you get back to port. I say it is possible because the customs officer may just wave you through if you don't appear to be trying to stock a liquor store.:p I have brought as many as 10 liters back to Port Canaveral and Tampa and was waved through, but I brought back 8 to Jacksonville and the officer made me pay the duty. It is based on the proof of the liquor and mine was $11 and change for the extra 7 liters.

The highlighted is true, UNLESS you purchase in St. Thomas, or San Juan and then you can bring up to five liters back duty free.

Also remember that it is not number of bottles but number of liters that you count.