Jacket shopping in Faurbanks.

NewSalt

I planned to pick up a windbreaker-type jacket and also a fleece while we were in Alaska since I need new ones and they would make useful souvenirs. Some reviews have mentioned how plentiful they are.

But now I'm panicking. We arrive in Fairbanks Saturday night and have a free day on Sunday, but the forecast is for rain almost every day at the beginning of our trip, so I won't have time to shop around too much.

Any suggestions as to where I should look for these? (And I'm kicking myself for not biting that cute rain jacket I saw on Royal Caribbean last week.)

I'm assuming you will have a car? I would suggest you just head to Walmart or Fred Meyer. Would be the largest selection of jackets. IF you were expecting the cheap "Alaska" jackets- those are far more plentiful on the inside passage ports.

but the forecast is for rain almost every day at the beginning of our trip, so I won't have time to shop around too much.

Why would the rain prevent you from shopping?

Here's the key to Alaskan weather:

• hope for the best
  • plan for the worse
  • get out and have fun no matter what!!

Why would the rain prevent you from shopping?

Here's the key to Alaskan weather:

• hope for the best
  • plan for the worse
  • get out and have fun no matter what!!

No, no, no! Bad weather has never prevented me from shopping, but if it's raining as soon as we arrive, I'll need to get my jacket ASAP and will have to buy something immediately.

I agree that you can have as much fun wet as dry. :)

NewSalt: Throughout the years there have been a number of posts regarding folks purchasing what they describe as high quality jackets for $19.95 in Ketchikan. For what it is worth -- several years ago early in the cruise season we were in Ketchikan and so I looked at the $19.95 "on sale" jackets there; signs in more than one store had the jackets "marked down" to $19.95 from an original price in the $50.00s to mid $60.00s and as I remember. While I have no idea what others purchased it was my opinion that the jackets I saw were of minimal quality. So hitting the mall before you leave may be a good idea.

We bought some nice fleece jackets with Alaska logos on them in Anchorage. Our ship was docked near the hotel we stayed at and their was a flea market right across the street. We negotiated a good price because we bought 4 of them.

http://www.alaska.org/detail/saturday-market

I also bought a very warm hoodie sweatshirt for myself in Ketchikan at a really good price. I love it because it is extra heavy and very warm. There are many shops located near the docks in Ketchikan.

I planned to pick up a windbreaker-type jacket and also a fleece while we were in Alaska since I need new ones and they would make useful souvenirs. Some reviews have mentioned how plentiful they are.

But now I'm panicking. We arrive in Fairbanks Saturday night and have a free day on Sunday, but the forecast is for rain almost every day at the beginning of our trip, so I won't have time to shop around too much.

Any suggestions as to where I should look for these? (And I'm kicking myself for not biting that cute rain jacket I saw on Royal Caribbean last week.)

Have you looked at the temperatures for Fairbanks?

Here is a link

Fairbanks, AK 10 Day Weather Forecast - weather.com

There hardly seems to be any need to go rushing out shopping in Fairbanks as any old jackets or sweaters/sweatshirts you already have should be sufficient there.

If you live in New Jersey, whatever you have for cold weather in Jersey should be fine.

So you can take your time about shopping until later in your trip and have no need to panic.

It is likely that you won't even need the fleece until your glacier viewing day, if then.

If I were in your place, I would certainly bring along an old jacket to wear, figuring I can always throw it away or give it away if I find something new along the way to replace it.