Ncl jade

hummy0605

Just booked 11 of us on the jade sailing from venice 27/8/16. Have always sailed rci traditional dining and just wanted some info on the freestyle. Our parents want us to eat early (about 6.45pm) would we be able to book a time so we know or would we need to turn up each night to get a table?

Also do ncl do any formal nights or would we stick out loke sore thumbs if we got dressed up?

Yes, you can book a time for MDR but for such a large group you might not be able to do so online - IIRC the limit you can book online is 8 ppl. There are no separate queues for walkups and reservations though, so you need to queue still among those who are truly Freestyling it.

There are no formal nights like on some other lines but there are some dress up or not nights (now called Norwegians' night out) that is mostly just a marketing event for better picture taking opportunities.

You will not stick out whenever you choose to dress up, especially not on those "special" nights. There are some people dressing up every night but also people not dressing up at all - that's the beauty of Freestyle cruising, dress however you like within the relaxed dress code and you'll be fine.

We dress up every night. We don't feel like we are the ones that stand out like a sore thumb

I love seeing people all dressed up. Having fun and doing their thing.

I am usually dressed somewhere in the middle. But have been known to pack the little black dress and my Louboutons.

Excellent - will still pack the outfits as tis is one of the things we love about cruising:)

This is one of the great things about NCL.

Dressing up is one of the things I hate about cruising (or at least I would if I was on a cruise where I have to). On NCL both you and I can do what we enjoy without breaking any rules, being excluded from anywhere or standing out.

When we did B2B cruises on the Star last September/October, we could only book in the MDR if we had a large group, like 8. Otherwise, we had to take our chances and just show up.

Of course, for specialty restaurants, you can book ahead.

Pretty informal on the Jade, even in their formal dining restaurant. The food we had was pretty good. See this video for some examples.

[YOUTUBE]xOimIZW3xEw[/YOUTUBE]

Hi,

Many thanks for the video..oct 2016 will be our first time on NCL. I am wondering due to health issues and allergies can one contact MDR before hand . It is necessary for me to eat at the same time and diet is somewhat a little restricted. CCL and the other lines we have sailed with are quite helpful. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Christine

Montreal, Canada

I am wondering due to health issues and allergies can one contact MDR before hand . It is necessary for me to eat at the same time and diet is somewhat a little restricted.

Yes, first contact NCL's accessibility desk before the cruise, more info here:

http://www.ncl.com/about/accessible-cruising

And they will give you instructions on who to meet after you get onboard to talk about your requirements with.

Just booked 11 of us on the jade sailing from venice 27/8/16. Have always sailed rci traditional dining and just wanted some info on the freestyle. Our parents want us to eat early (about 6.45pm) would we be able to book a time so we know or would we need to turn up each night to get a table?

Also do ncl do any formal nights or would we stick out loke sore thumbs if we got dressed up?

I know you've probably gotten all the responses you need, but I just wanted to chime in to say we'll be on that sailing too (we're actually doing B2B cruises and this is the first of the two). We plan to dress up for two of the Norwegian Nights and then once for our anniversary. See you there! ;)

I know you've probably gotten all the responses you need, but I just wanted to chime in to say we'll be on that sailing too (we're actually doing B2B cruises and this is the first of the two). We plan to dress up for two of the Norwegian Nights and then once for our anniversary. See you there! ;)

Feel free to 'chime in' - we are looking forward to trying NCL. The cost was a big factor with the rest of the family that are going but we were more interested in the ports of call. We love sailing from Venice. See you next year (just packed for this years and leave in the morning):)

We sailed on the Jade March 2015 in the Med (Italy, Greece and Turkey). We usually sail on RC also. We hadn't been on an NCL cruise for over 10 years. The food was very good - comparable or better than RC. We did not eat in any specialty restaurants. Service was very good. Sometimes a little slow in the MDR. We generally went to dinner at the same time and never waited very long (only 2 of us though). Our room steward was great. The entertainment was good. We did notice that NCL does not have as many activities as RC and a lot of repeats - so bring some good books to read.

The gym is pretty small. Never got in the morning stretch class because of lack of space. I like RC better because you can use their steam rooms and saunas for free. NCL Jade you have to buy a package deal.

We had a very good time and liked NCL enough to book another cruise to the Panama Canal next year.