Best bet for cell phone use ? Very confused !!

jf3284

So i've read different things about cell usage in Bermuda, and on the way to Bermuda on the Breakaway. (I use ATT) I'd love to be able to text, as well as be able to possibly use the phone. I've heard there is an app, and don't know what exactly this can be used for.

Can someone please clear things up for ATT usage, and what i need to do, and not do for the best usage without a big phone bill ???

Thanks much,

Joe

As far as what your phone company charges I would ask them and get the name of who you spoke with.

Best alternate - really depends on how much you will use it and for what. If its a few calls for short time just suck it up and pay. If you are planning on using it away from Dockyard area you can ask your phone company to unlock your phone ( they may or may not do this) and then when you get to Bermuda go to the phone store in the Dockyard and buy a Sim, the below link are the rates.

https://digicelbermuda.zendesk.com/attachments/token/9n87JibqUwieTLEvZzW5aebUh/?name=Freedom_Bundles.jpg

Pop the sim in your phone and make sure to save the old one for when you get home and you are good to go.

If you just need data at the dockyard they have a wifi plan you can purchase, but depending on where you are on the ship reception may be spotty

If you're calling to another cell phone, both you and the recipients could download Viber, a free app available on both Android and Apple, that allows you to text, speak, and I THINK video-chat via Wi-Fi.

This won't help unless OP has international data roaming with AT&T which I believe it's very pricey. Tmobile is great for international calling and data, which is included in all month-to-month plans. Unfortunately, though, tmobile coverage is outright awful in the States. Go figure.

I've never been out of the country and used Viber myself, but I've been the recipient of a Viber-call. I'm pretty sure as long as you have Wi-Fi, which the ship has, you don't need to worry about data roaming, since you aren't using data. As I said, I can't verify because I've never used it to MAKE calls, only receive them.

And just so I can be as contradictory as I can in one post :p, I have T-Mobile and it works much better for me than Verizon, particularly indoors. :)

I've never been out of the country and used Viber myself, but I've been the recipient of a Viber-call. I'm pretty sure as long as you have Wi-Fi, which the ship has, you don't need to worry about data roaming, since you aren't using data. As I said, I can't verify because I've never used it to MAKE calls, only receive them.

And just so I can be as contradictory as I can in one post :p, I have T-Mobile and it works much better for me than Verizon, particularly indoors. :)

Hehe no problem. T-Mobile is like that. Feast or famine signal.

I believe OP meant on the ports (and not necessarily near the ship). And the ship's WiFi data is pricey too -- and by the minute on most NCL ships except Breakaway. Having been on several cruises in the Caribbean and outside the country quite a bit in the last 3-4 years, tmobile has been fantastic and is the only reason I've kept them as our carrier in spite of horrible coverage where we live.

AT&T has a program called Passport which is International data/voice roaming. AT&T is more reliable than VZW International package.

If you are looking at texting mostly that is your best bet. I would stay away from other suggestions like FB Messenger, Viber etc as they all need an internet connection and will run higher than AT&T's passport or even VZW Global package. Needless to say those apps do not work most of the time (lack of bandwidth) and are really dependent on where you are on the ship.

WiFi on ships is not free. It's not Starbucks.

For those Bermuda bound, sailing on the BA, Gem or Dawn, etc. please see the dozens of excellent threads/posts written previously about using the free iConcierge App (works on current ver. of iOS & Android) pre-installed on smartphone before cruising.

There is no "free" WiFi on these ships within the NCL fleet, none - only paid WiFi. Same is true at Dockyard & the rest of Bermuda, unless you stand under the tree at xxyyzzz and/or the Hamilton pubic library (or a few other places island-wide that offer "free" access, without or with a purchase) - the WiFi pass on the pier is inexpensive, for 1 or 2 or 3 days (or longer)

iConcierge will grant you access to ship's secured inTRAnet only for the basic & onboard guest account management functions, but not the texting or calling or inbound/outbound calling that is behind firewalls/ports for inTERnet access (that's in most simple lay-person's terminology) The overall system is 90% plus to 95% plus reliable and worked for most users, YMMV.

Go to NCL dot com as there is a link to iConcierge and once you install the APP on your device, open it & there's help & FAQ - once activated ONLY on the ship with the SSiD, the full App will be clickable with the option to sign-up & authorize any & all the charges to your OnBoard Account.

If you have something like a Nexus 6 for Google Fi or iPhone 5x or higher running iOS 8.x - you can do WiFi calling, in addition to Skype/Hangouts or Facetime calling - at very low rates to almost free (as you need PAID WiFi, or, cellular data access that's far more expensive/pricey). It might work - or not.

As for the definite answers on AT&T Mobility & what options are for OP, depending on your plan details & (corporate ??) discounts, etc. - you need to speak to CSR at AT&T via 611 and speak to someone trained for global/int'l calling.

On the ship, the speed of the satellite data connection is the same whether it's via NCL or as billed by AT&T, it pass thru the same satellite "globe" on top of the ship - whether at sea or docked at the island pier (as the signal remained on/active)

Off the ship, you will need paid coverage of some sort once you step off the gangways. Keep in mind that Twitter is NOT SMS or texting, it uses MB's of data (a lot more than some users realize) - depending on what OP "like" to do for texting or calling, there is a price tag for it.

One of my nephew uploaded some "cool" FB photos across the border in Canada only a few years ago on his iPhone and got billed in the hundreds (USD) afterward for roaming data.

Edited by mking8288

We have AT&T also , and what we do is, call forward all calls to either our daughter, or home, turn off wi-fi, turn off data- that leaves the phone open for text messages...free to receive, 50cents to send.

Safe sailing

That has to be the most important piece of info that I have gleaned on here in 8 years. Thank you.:)

And is that true globally ?

Edited by davesgirl51

Or buy the ships wifi...it is very good on the ba.....and use a wifi only gadget....like an iPad or your now wifi enabled cell phone to audio FaceTime and message those that you absolutely must keep it touch with

This works best when leaving kids behind as they usually have their phones in their hands

I audio face timed my 14 yo every night while she was doing homework

If we had free wifi in ports I video facetimed in the afternoon

Using video FaceTime on the ship will eat up the wifi package

Btw the ba wifi was $39 for 300 mg which equals about 300 minutes of audio and email surfing

Fb will eat up lots of time though

Also latitudes gets extra minutes for free but you need to remind them to add it on....what a surprise. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Btw the ba wifi was $39 for 300 mg which equals about 300 minutes of audio and email surfing

Fb will eat up lots of time though

Also latitudes gets extra minutes for free but you need to remind them to add it on....what a surprise. Lol

In the BA they sell internet packages based on bandwidth, not time (many cruise lines are moving to this model that makes much more sense). So, you can be connected 24/7 and so long as you don't go over your allotted bandwidth, you're fine. In other NCL ships Internet is sold by the minute. In that case you can use as much bandwidth as you can in the allotted time. That is to say there's no correlation between bandwidth and time. Or vice versa.

In the BA they sell internet packages based on bandwidth, not time (many cruise lines are moving to this model that makes much more sense). So, you can be connected 24/7 and so long as you don't go over your allotted bandwidth, you're fine. In other NCL ships Internet is sold by the minute. In that case you can use as much bandwidth as you can in the allotted time. That is to say there's no correlation between bandwidth and time. Or vice versa.

That is exactly why I said EQUALS ABOUT 300 minutes

Which is correct btw....1 minute of audio did use up ABOUT 1 mg of bandwidth

That is exactly why I said EQUALS ABOUT 300 minutes

Which is correct btw....1 minute of audio did use up ABOUT 1 mg of bandwidth

No, it does not. It depends on many factors including quality, codec, compression factor, etc. Some VoIP apps might use 1mb way faster, sometimes in couple seconds. Some others might use it way longer by sacrificing quality and aggressive compression.

No, it does not. It depends on many factors including quality, codec, compression factor, etc. Some VoIP apps might use 1mb way faster, sometimes in couple seconds. Some others might use it way longer by sacrificing quality and aggressive compression.

Again that is why I said ...equals about

Btw....I was told this by the crew member in charge of helping the pax get online....and for me with my iPad wifi only mini...it worked out to be just that...1mg...for about 1 min of wifi time....for emails and audio FaceTime

But whatever....you can win and I learned long ago to not argue with people about computers because for some people it is like religion to them.

I have no horse in this race.

Edited by luvtheships

my wife and I got a phone from ekit.com that allows for texts on ship and land for .15 cents each, not a great deal but better than trying 800 ways to work around it. btw call rates are 3.50/min on board and i think .95cents a minute in bermuda.