Bag for excursions?

Iggipolka

I'm traveling solo in a couple months and am not sure what to do about bringing stuff and keeping it safe on excursions. I'm doing 2 beach excursions and one horseback riding trip. I'd like to bring a tote with my digital camera, a change of clothes, a bottle of water and some money. I'm just not sure what to do with my stuff when I'm off snorkling or riding. Any ideas?

Also, can anyone recommend a cute, not overly large bag?

Thanks!

If I were you, I would find the lightes weight tote I could find, perhaps something from a dollar store or Target, not too expensive. I would then leave the expensive camera onboard the ship and take along a disposable. Keep your money and seapass card in your pocket, in a waterproof pouch that can go swimming with you. Only take off the ship what you may be willing to lose.

...lightweight may not be waterproof. If you're going on a snorkeling boat, that might be a consideration. I am talking a lightweight backpack and will put anything that shouldn't get wet in ziplocs. If possible, consider hitching yourself to a group once or twice, if you meet some people that enjoy the same things you do. It's possible that one or more of the group will keep an eye on belongings while the others are off elsewhere.

Have fun!

On a swimming beach I saw a couple of bags someone had padlocked over a sizeable branch of a tree. The bags were substantial and you would have to cut off the branch or razorblade through the bag to get to the contents. Either way it would have been very noticeable and taken some time. The bag gathered at the top and padlocked over the branch with a cable.

Get a Magellan's catalog or search their website (magellans.com), I think they still sell a small pouch with a belt that holds some very well made water proof ziplocks that come with it.

Regardless, it's a great catalog with LOTS of nice travel related stuff:)

...lightweight may not be waterproof. If you're going on a snorkeling boat, that might be a consideration. I am talking a lightweight backpack and will put anything that shouldn't get wet in ziplocs. If possible, consider hitching yourself to a group once or twice, if you meet some people that enjoy the same things you do. It's possible that one or more of the group will keep an eye on belongings while the others are off elsewhere.

Have fun!

Lightweight, as in, don't take a big, heavy bag off the ship, make your day easier and your load less cumbersome. I don't think anyone would want to take a tote bag in the water with them.

Have fun!

Lightweight, as in, don't take a big, heavy bag off the ship, make your day easier and your load less cumbersome. I don't think anyone would want to take a tote bag in the water with them. The last time I had a fellow traveller watch my bag for me, he tossed it onto the floor of the boat, breaking my expensive camera.

Not sure where you are travelling to --- and all these are good ideas -- but..

alot of beaches have an area of lockers that you can rent for a small fee.

You can put all your stuff in there (if you don't take too much) and not have to worry.....

I would go to the ports of call forums and for each island you are going to, ask "what beaches have lockers?" You will probably be amazed at the response.

Just a suggestion.

IMO ...I have a pretty expensive camera. (Nikon D100) My pictures that may be on the memory card in that camera mean way more to me than the camera itself. I suggest if you are bringing a digital camera, be sure an empty (or close to empty card is in that camera). My clothes, money and camera mean less to me than my pictures :)

Bobbie

I have a cheap mesh backpack that I use for shore excursions, and a plastic lanyard case designed to hold valuables that is waterproof for snorkeling or swimming. Cash, credit card and sea pass stay on me so I don't have to worry about those things. The backpack usually has my snorkle gear, some sunblock, a towel and a drink and sometimes a waterproof disposable camera. When I'm in the water, all that is left on the beach in the bag are the clothes I had on over my swimsuit, sunblock and the towel all tucked into the bag. I can throw that bag out in the open on the beach and never worry.

If I'm going to be doing a land activity, I bring my nice digital camera. I have a waistpack that is designed to hold it and some extra batteries. I use the same mesh backpack to hold purchases I make and anything I bring ashore. Cash, credit card, and seapass stay in my pocket. Backpack stays with me, everything is safe. Really no problem.

Leave jewelry and expensive watches onboard and wear a cheap watch ashore. No need to flash that stuff around during a day trip.

• 2 weeks later...
IMO ...I have a pretty expensive camera. (Nikon D100) My pictures that may be on the memory card in that camera mean way more to me than the camera itself. I suggest if you are bringing a digital camera, be sure an empty (or close to empty card is in that camera). My clothes, money and camera mean less to me than my pictures :)

Bobbie

I'm hoping if you had a credit card in your bag you'd guard that more than your memory card. don't forget that identity theft is running rampant these days. all they need is a little info on you & it's all over...

I have a cheap mesh backpack
Mesh makes sense because the would-be thief can easily see that the bag contains only a towel and suntan lotion (not worth stealing). On the other hand, if you have a nicer bag, he might just grab-and-go, hoping that you have a nice camera inside.

I'd suggest you skip the change of clothes and carry a disposable camera. Your money and ID should be on your person -- not in a bag.

Archived