Snorkel excursion for beginners on St Thomas

cowboygene

I've been snorkeling one time on an NCL excursion from St Thomas. It was early March and we went just off of Buck Island. There was not a lot of instruction but everyone said they had been snorkeling before so there was no reason to instruct, I suppose. The water was very choppy and probably wouldn't be a lot of fun for beginners. I doubt it's choppy all the time. Hopefully others will chime in. It was a great excursion overall.

If you're even just a decent swimmer, snorkeling will be a piece of cake.

They give you a vest, which is inflatable. You also get a mask, snorkel and flippers. (I usually bring my own snorkel and mask.) On every excursion they will basically tell you to inflate the vest, make a good seal with the snorkel, etc.

A boat takes you out to a location, you climb down a ladder into the water and swim around.

I've been snorkeling at Grand Turk, Belize, Aruba, Bermuda, Castaway Cay, St. Thomas (Coki Beach), Roatan...

The biggest impact is going to be whether or not the water is choppy, as it will determine how much effort you're going to have to expend, and may also make less experienced swimmers nervous. The snorkeling I did off Castaway Cay was the choppiest, but there were several inexperienced swimmers in the water and they did fine. It sometimes takes a few minutes to get your bearings once you're in the water. If you don't like it, you can always climb back up on the boat for a breather or just to get out of the water for good.

I snorkeled for the first time in April at Grand Cayman. I was a little nervous at first being in the open ocean. I just got my bearings, floated around a little bit, and then I was fine.

I plan on taking my DD7 on an excursion through NCL while on the Escape in St. Thomas - Twice As Nice Catamaran. Check that one out. It goes to two spots - sea turtles at Buck Island and a shipwreck.

My 2nd snorkel was at Coki Beach St Thomas on a ship shore excursion. Very nice water, no boat to climb in and out of, just tromp in the water from the beach. Tons of fish to see. I'd recommend Coki Beach for beginners.

I always get an inflatable vest but that means I don't go diving down to anything, I just dog-paddle around on the surface with my face in the water in awe! I don't bother with flippers, I find them too much trouble to walk in and out of the water or especially on and off the boats but I do wear aqua shoes to protect from the rough coral or rocks on shore.

I wear a T-shirt over my swim suit which helps keep my back from getting sunburned. Do NOT put sunscreen on your face before you snorkel as it will get in your eyes and be problematic, put it on went you come out of the water so you are protected the rest of the day.

If it's possible for you to bring an underwater camera, (some cheap disposables are available for about $25 or go for a real one from Amazon or Costco for about $150 Fuji or Olympus are popular) it makes the adventure SOOOO much more fun and the memories will be with you forever.

Hope you have a fantastic time! m--