Sewer Smells

kruisey

Have now read about 2 of the Princess Ships ,one older,the other spanking new having had sewer smells for several days.

All I can say is that my tummy would go into HEAVE HO mode .One mentioned was near the dining rooms icon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_eek.gif

We got the occasional whiff while walking on the Promenade deck on the Island Princess. It was on the starboard side, about midships. It was quite windy on that cruise and we figured it was coming from a vent pipe and being blown downward to the deck. It wasn't strong but it was unmistakable.

Island Princess Feb. 2004

Grand Princess Feb. 2002

Norwegian Sky Feb. 2001

Think daWoods is right. Also on the Island in Feb. and also noticed a smell on the Promenade. Have noticed it on other ships as well.

All sewage systems must have venting so that is understandable to occasionally notice the smell on the outer decks, depending on the wind direction.

Sewer smells inside, now that's another matter.

Island Princess - Hawaii, Nov.5/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;11;5;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Just off Sun Princess on 3/30...no smells.

-------------------------

Sun Princess, 03/2004; Pacific Princess, 07/2003; Star Princess, 05/2003; Grand Princess, 10/2002; Grand Princess, 10/2002; Sun Princess, 05/2001; Sun Princess, 04/2001; Sun Princess, 09/2000; Sun Princess, 09/2000; Regal Princess, 10/1999; Sun Princess, 08/1998; Holiday, 05/1998; Westerdam, 09/1997; Regal Princess, 11/1996; Royal Odyssey, 09/1995; Starward, 11/1993

We have experienced this, too. I was told that sometimes when they fuel up, the fuel will put off a bad odor that smells like a sewer. It last a few days and goes away. (This was on the Sun Princess January of 2001. The "stench" hit us full in the face in the Atrium when we boarded. It lasted for probably 6 days of a 10 day cruise. After repeated visits to the Pursers desk - the odor was detectable in our room too - I got the story about the fuel. This was a better response than, "Stench? What stench?")

Cruisin' Chris

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=dc143c&cdt=2004;5;19;17;0;00&timezone=GMT+0000  5/19/04 Grand Princess Baltic Heritage

<center>

<a href="http://www.escati.com/counter98/free_time_codes.htm">

time98.gif</center>

Do hope the powers that be at princess read Cruise Critic it certainly would be in their best interest icon_cool.gif

One should not have to ensure a sewery smell for 6 days......unless one lives on a farm and is spraying the land with manure,that blown around in the breeze.

WE do not endure that kind of smell in our homes,so we should not have to while on vacation .Imagine a hotel having that smell hanging around for 6 days what would happen.?

I'd sure like to know what they're using for fuel if that's the case. Sounds like a story line to me, one they came up with after being bugged for 6 days.

Island Princess Feb. 2004

Grand Princess Feb. 2002

Norwegian Sky Feb. 2001

I also had this in my bathroom on the Coral Princess when the ship was about 6 months old. I only seemed to smell it in the mornings. I wanted to gag in the mornings when brushing my teeth. I called and reported it several times and they sent several people to the cabin.

Interesting was that the plumbing crew can access the pipes to the cabin's bathrooms from the hallway. They removed a panel and was able to work on it with out entering the cabin.

Coral states could only smell it in the mornings (plural) That was dreadful.Once is enough.This seems to be a problem on many of the ships.Wonder if this is also the same with other cruise lines.????

The engineer and his maintenance staff should always be checking around the ship so that these smells do not get the better of the passengers noses icon_cool.gif

Archived