In 10 years RCCL ships will have...?

Researching for my family's first Royal Caribbean cruise this October it really seems to me that RCCL innovates and experiments and is willing to try new things. Examples of this are The Flow Rider, Ice Skating, Bowling, Broadway shows, Neighborhoods, Aqua-Diving Show, Sky Diving at Sea, the North Star Capsule, it goes on and on...

RCCL, I would imagine, wants to stay on the cutting of cruising innovation and experience. How will they do this when they have already introduced so many modifications and shifts into the paradigm of what cruising is and what it could be.

So my question is, 10 years from now in 2025 you are booking a RCCL cruise. What are you looking forward to doing on the cruise? Will we see our first on board roller coaster? How about snow skiing on board?

What other fun and fascinating features will be be looking forward to on our RCCL cruise in 10 year?

Looking forward to other people's brilliant ideas! Thanks!:confused:

I honestly don't know, I guess we'll continue to see more and more choice in the dining offerings. That seems to be a trend.

Personally I'd like to see RCCL adopt more and more energy friendly policies and decisions. Like adding more solar panels, or even under-water turbines etc. I know that moving to all LED lighting has saved a LOT of energy.

It seems that most of the industry is very much waiting with baited breath to see what Sir Richard Branson does with his two 'boutique' (110k GWT) cruise ships that are due to be like nothing else.

I would love to have true high-speed wireless internet at a reasonable price.

We're already seeing that rolled out in various places, look at Majesty OTS - they're giving her high-speed and completely free WiFi.

Carnival are adding lower cost packages to theirs.

The industry is headed that way.

Being from Colorado, I'm quite interested in seeing an onboard artificial ski slope come to fruition. I know there's been talk of it happening, but logistically I don't see it happening.

Don't see why not. You'd need a minimum of two floors (maybe three) but Studio B (ice rink) already takes up that space sort of sized space - so it's doable.

As for making the snow, if they can build one in Saudi Arabia where the average heat is about 50c (122f) I'm pretty sure they can do it aboard and air-conditioned cruise ship.

The question would be about whether it would give good value for money / return on investment for the space given over to it.

All the menus on your stateroom TV so you can pre order what you want before heading out for your evening meal.

An all inclusive price (for those that want to pay) that could include drinks, SR's, unlimited WiFi, tips, LV, certain excursions, mini bar, etc.

A dedicated elevator for HC, fore and aft

Live shows shown on the big TV or your stateroom tv for those that don't want to go to the theater

New questions for the L&M game:rolleyes:

Longer hours for the LA

Two or three floors? Have you ever skied? Even stretched out half the length of the ship, nobody could gather enough speed to actually make turns. For example, you used Ski Dubai to make your point. It's 280' high and has a run length of 1300'. And it's not just about building it in air conditioning. The temperature during the day is held steadily in the upper 20s. Logistically, to build something even half that size on a ship would be a nightmare. Does anyone actually think RCCL will put a snow making machine on board?

Most likely, if an artificial ski slope were to ever happen, it would be an artificial slope made out of the same material that Olympians use to train in the summer in Utah. That said, that material isn't conducive to turning and it hard as bricks.

Realistically, I don't see it happening unless a CEO is willing to take a massive risk in making it a destination ship of sorts. A ski slope will just take up too much room on board IMO. Not to mention the environmentalists will come out of the woodworks.

Edited by TomAceEsq

That would spell the end of cruising for me.

And...I'm a dog lover!

Ditto. As much as it pains me to say it, those two weeks a year we don't have to feed, water, play, and just generally mind our three dogs is so relaxing, I would never book a ship with dogs onboard.

If you think every single person would pick up after their dog...

Two or three floors? Have you ever skied? Even stretched out half the length of the ship, nobody could gather enough speed to actually make turns. For example, you used Ski Dubai to make your point. It's 280' high and has a run length of 1300'. And it's not just about building it in air conditioning. The temperature during the day is held steadily in the upper 20s. Logistically, to build something even half that size on a ship would be a nightmare. Does anyone actually think RCCL will put a snow making machine on board?

Most likely, if an artificial ski slope were to ever happen, it would be an artificial slope made out of the same material that Olympians use to train in the summer in Utah. That said, that material isn't conducive to turning and it hard as bricks.

Realistically, I don't see it happening unless a CEO is willing to take a massive risk in making it a destination ship of sorts. A ski slope will just take up too much room on board IMO. Not to mention the environmentalists will come out of the woodworks.

Did you know, RCCL is rolling out a 10 story water slide? Anything is possible in the future

Ditto. As much as it pains me to say it, those two weeks a year we don't have to feed, water, play, and just generally mind our three dogs is so relaxing, I would never book a ship with dogs onboard.

If you think every single person would pick up after their dog...

For me, it's not as much about my own dog, but others. I just have horrible visions of dogs running through Central Park and going to the bathroom in the elevator lobbies. :eek:

But, honestly, a dog-friendly cruise line would never work. Where would they go to the bathroom? What if one brought fleas on board? It would be a disaster.

I think in 10 years, we will see pricing structure changes. For example, today, RCCL is "all inclusive a la carte", meaning you can prepay everything just about, and not worry about your on board account. My last cruise I had trouble spending $100.00 OBC. So, I think we will see more packages like the cruise fare including all food and drinks, and possible an "upgrade cruise fare" for all specialty restaurants.

I also think eventually, RCCL will consider a "tipless" cruise, where all tips, are included in the fare, and not at each item. This is mainly do to the fact that RCCL has moved world wide, and the tipping culture is so different, that it hurts the staff, and confuses the customers. So I would think at some point, they will change this process out.

For me, it's not as much about my own dog, but others. I just have horrible visions of dogs running through Central Park and going to the bathroom in the elevator lobbies. :eek:

But, honestly, a dog-friendly cruise line would never work. Where would they go to the bathroom? What if one brought fleas on board? It would be a disaster.

Totally. On top of norovirus and the flu, everybody would be worried about kennel cough and fleas. We're lucky that fleas are few and far between in Colorado, but I remember the battle all too well while living in FL.

All the menus on your stateroom TV so you can pre order what you want before heading out for your evening meal.

A dedicated elevator for HC, fore and aft

Live shows shown on the big TV or your stateroom tv for those that don't want to go to the theater

LOVE these ideas! Pre-ordering your meal could cut the dining time down considerably, and also lessen entertainment conflicts. A dedicated elevator would be great for everyone, those who need it and those who do not. There are a few in my family who are sometimes too tired by the end of the day to go to the show, I know they would appreciate being able to watch it live from their cabin. Think of the seating that would be freed up if this were an option.

...honestly, a dog-friendly cruise line would never work... What if one brought fleas on board? It would be a disaster.

About the same disaster that occurs when someone brings on a couple bed bugs!:eek:

Dogs and pooper scoopers.:eek:

They are allowed on planes and in hotels now, so I am guessing cruises will be next.

Sorry all dog lovers, IF it should happen, no more cruising for me. :(

On my last cruise there were at least 6 dogs on board, and 2 of them at least were not service animals (the others all claimed to be, but I had my doubts about 2 of the others as well). So, for those saying you wouldn't cruise with dogs - watch out, they're already on board! I didn't go looking for it, but one of the owners told me there was a special "sandbox" hidden away discreetly on an outside deck somewhere.

Wait till people start bringing their service ponies if you're worried about poop :) http://www.guidehorse.com/

In terms of future enhancements - they've already taken a good step with RoyalIQ. I haven't tried it out yet, but it sounds like a good start.

For ships with RFID doors (Quantum?) that use the bracelets, the next logical step (for me) would be to allow you to use your phone on the door instead.

A two storey swimming pool where people can learn scuba diving is doable.

A Big Wheel (London Eye type of thing) could fit on the back of the aqua theatre area on the Oasis class ships - it would be one step on from the North Star.

On a less grand scale, plumbed in-room coffee/tea makers wouldn't be a big stretch.

Most balconies could be fitted a roll top style clear cover (think of a garage door, or a bureau) that would turn the balcony into a kind of sun room during less great weather. Either have it work by key, and ask your cabin steward to raise/lower it, or allow customers to operate it themselves with a button (more likely to lead to damage).

The one thing I always think they're missing are those old machines that would print out x business cards for €5 (or whatever). Towards the end of cruises you always see people scrabbling for bits of paper to exchange contact details. Have one of those near customer services and I'd say people would pay for it.