What to do while on port (Grand Cayman & Cozumel) with a toddler & an infant?

FLIP FLOP GAL

I am just stumped on what to plan for our days in port at both Grand Cayman & Cozumel. We are traveling with our 2.5yr old & our 7 month old. We will NOT have car seats with us, so, finding "safe" transportation will be key on both ports.

In Grand Cayman, we were thinking maybe the semi-sub tour following by some beach time. Is this possible considering our transportation issues? Has anyone ever done stingray city with a toddler (the infant will stay on the boat under the shade)?? We (the adults) have already done stingray city, so, we honestly don't feel compelled to do it again...more curious because the rest of our group is planning on doing it.

As for Cozumel, we are thinking a beach day. Well, to be more specific, beach club/resort day. We were thinking Playa Mia, but, I'm concerned about the transportation there. Anyone have any experiences with this?

Can someone recommend a viable method of transportation...hiring a driver with car seats? Renting a car? etc.

Any thoughts/suggestions/ideas welcome!

With young kids, I'd opt to just stay on the ship and enjoy the ship with smaller crowds. Walk around in port with the kids in strollers to do some shopping.

At most, I'd do a taxi/trolley to the beach (unless one was walkable).

My kids are 8/9 and the above is still our planned course of attack. When they are older we'll spend more money on tours/excursions.

Hi, we've done both, a few times with dd. and are doing it again in a few weeks.

In Grand Cayman we take the bus/van to the free beach. The van doesn't go fast enough, nor did any other cars, to cause me worry. The water is nice, not rocky, but sandy, there's showers, bathrooms and changing area. Plus a few people selling food and renting water stuf/umbrella/chairs. We do bring her umbrella stroller. There is always someone waiting to take you back to the ships, when you are ready, more later in the day.

DO NOT attempt to walk to the beach, the beach areas you can access are full of rocks that hurt, it's not fun, the sand sucks. (course, this may depend on which pier your at? idk). Paying the van fee is well worth it, imo.

transportation, we don't travel with a carseat, because there's no where to use the carseat. If you take a van/bus, you'll be fine.

I personally wouldn't do the semi sub and beach with mine. My kid needs a nap and downtime, She's not a sleep anywhere baby/kid.

I also wouldn't do sting ray. I'd pay for it, then me/kids have to stay on the boat, or swtich off of dh. Not really fun, imo. We did sting ray BEFORE dd, and LOVED it.

you can check the excurstion, many meet at the pier/port within walking distance, then you walk to the boat/sub, that's your best bet if you aren't ok with car/bus/van.

I'd let the rest of your group do thier thing, you do yours. Unless someone wants to stay on ship with kids. You may be able to leave the kids in the nursary/club, if that's something you do.

We've done the walking and shopping, but honestly, it's not fun and a pita. The vendors will target the small kids, to get you to buy something, toy, shirt, ice cream, snack, depending on your kid, this could lead to many melt downs. Once, the vender handed dd the toy, then turned to us and us '5 dollars please'. Uh, no. (she did get the thing, but for $1 further down).

Now, dh goes shopping/exploring, has a few $1 beers after bringing us back to the ship for nap/quiet time. (I once went through myself, Cozumel, left dh to go shop, me & dd went back to ship. NEVER AGAIN. for the first time they checked her sipping cup, and made me take her out of her stroller (she was three, completely freaked out they took her water and were opening it. THEN while she was OUT of her stroller they had me unload everything and searched through everything. dd was freaking out, I was stressed because my attention wasn't on my crying kid. Anyway, nope. new rule, dh has to get us back to the ship first.

Tip. bring boxed cereal from buffet and/or pouches from home for a snack for your kid(s). perfect to munch on the way back to the ship after a long day, prevents you from having to buy more food.

We walked to the sub in Grand Cayman, we really enjoyed it. It's a good walking around port. I believe some were swimming right there, but I don't recall sand there. I think the nearest sand was cemetery beach, great snorkeling, but no chairs, bathrooms etc. neither of those are probably good beach situations for you.

Playa Mia is great in Cozumel, most cruises do a tour there and probably in a motor coach.

In GC, the bus is not as small a regular van, but not as big as a Trailways-type bus....no seat belts, so no carseats. That's the best way to get around.

this explains it better than me! Plus, while everyone, imo, drives crazy, there's so much traffic, it seems we never really go fast.

The swimming within walking of the pier is not good swimming for kids/not sandy.

Oh, in cozumel, there is a starbucks, within walking, depending on which pier you're at. We were at the 'wrong' one last time and all mixed up, it was a $$ cab/taxi to the right area. (more than we wanted to pay to go get our over priced coffee.)

When we went with our 10 month old we did the duck tour in grand cayman since it was only about an hour and we figured he would think the boat/bus was cool (although he ended up sleeping through the whole thing in the ergo, which was great) and in Cozumel we just walked around the shops in the port area.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Don't stay in the ship. In Grand Cayman book Captain Marvins to go to Stingray City. The water is about thigh deep on the average adult. Put a life vest (puddle jumper is awesome for both kids depending on weight) and hold the baby and get pictures of everyone petting the sting rays. We took my 2-year-old and it was great. There were lots of little ones, even babies, on our tour every time we have gone.

In Cozumel, get a cab to Chankanaab park. Bring a parachute beach blanket and play in the beach. There is a little inlet perfect for little ones to splash in. There is also a pool and a sea lion show and walking trails. Not sure how little your baby is, but put him/her in a sling or carrier and have fun.If you look online, you can even book a dolphin encounter with kids under 2 free at Chakanaab. You have to lie and say you are staying at a hotel, but it is just to cover themselves with the cruiselines, they don't care and will happily take your money!!

Edited by denas
Add

The turtle farm in Grand Cayman is also excellent for children if you can arrange transportation. We booked private transportation in all of our ports, and brought a car seat with us. Have you considered a bubble bum for the older child? Some of our drivers asked us if we would need a car seat, so it might be possible to find transportation with a car seat, but there is no guarantee the car seat would be the right size for your child.

Also, we learned on a speed boat excursion that it is really important to make sure kids have life vests that fit - if their life vests are too small, they will be uncomfortable and whine about needing to wear them. We were lucky in Guatemala that the excursion operators had packed two kid life jackets - my son was about to melt down in the first (too tight) one. After he put on the one that fit him better, he was thrilled and really enjoyed the entire excursion.

I am just stumped on what to plan for our days in port at both Grand Cayman & Cozumel. We are traveling with our 2.5yr old & our 7 month old. We will NOT have car seats with us, so, finding "safe" transportation will be key on both ports.

In Grand Cayman, we were thinking maybe the semi-sub tour following by some beach time. Is this possible considering our transportation issues? Has anyone ever done stingray city with a toddler (the infant will stay on the boat under the shade)?? We (the adults) have already done stingray city, so, we honestly don't feel compelled to do it again...more curious because the rest of our group is planning on doing it.

As for Cozumel, we are thinking a beach day. Well, to be more specific, beach club/resort day. We were thinking Playa Mia, but, I'm concerned about the transportation there. Anyone have any experiences with this?

Can someone recommend a viable method of transportation...hiring a driver with car seats? Renting a car? etc.

Any thoughts/suggestions/ideas welcome!

We're taking our kids and grandkids, just about the same ages as your kids are, on a cruise in a few months. I don't even know how to get them from the airport to the cruise port with only one car seat they're bringing. So many questions about the cruise and how to handle the babies of that age. Would love any info/hints you can give me on what you did, how you handled the restaurants, sitters??, etc., etc. They're staying in a suite because they'll need more room for the crib.

Thank you in advance for any help you can give me.

I agree do not stay on the ship, get out and have a blast. We sailed to the Bahamas last April my daughter was 2 year old. I packed her umbrella stroller, and we used it both on and off the ship. I did not book any excursions that would require us to ride in a car/van/bus due to the car seat debate. This actually worked out because its rained most of the time and many excursions were cancelled.

We are sailing to Cozumel, Honduras, Grand Cayman, and Bahamas in March 2016. My daughter will be 3 by then. I have booked several excrusions that required ground transportation. From what I read many of the buses and vans are safe. We are going to do the Pirate Ship, its a ride on a boat with a pirate show for the kids. I saw a video online any there were lot of smaller kids onboard. We are also going to do the dolphin swim, and tour the Mayan Ruins.

I agree do not stay on the ship, get out and have a blast. We sailed to the Bahamas last April my daughter was 2 year old. I packed her umbrella stroller, and we used it both on and off the ship. I did not book any excursions that would require us to ride in a car/van/bus due to the car seat debate. This actually worked out because its rained most of the time and many excursions were cancelled.

We are sailing to Cozumel, Honduras, Grand Cayman, and Bahamas in March 2016. My daughter will be 3 by then. I have booked several excrusions that required ground transportation. From what I read many of the buses and vans are safe. We are going to do the Pirate Ship, its a ride on a boat with a pirate show for the kids. I saw a video online any there were lot of smaller kids onboard. We are also going to do the dolphin swim, and tour the Mayan Ruins.

Thank you so much for your help. Our kids will be coming to Florida from California for the cruise. Wish it were the other way around which would be so much easier for them. Do you always sail out of Florida? My other concern if the 1 year old. The three year old is old enough to enjoy things. The baby is another story. Any other things you can think of to help would be appreciated. Thanks again.

We hit the beach ourselves. No excursion needed. We walked out of the port area and easily found a cab - with seatbelts - and headed to the free beach. Found a spot in the shade and relaxed for a few hours.

I wouldn't walk to the beach with the kids and I wouldn't stay on the ship in Cayman. It's much too beautiful. We meander around the port in Cozumel and then quickly get back on board there to enjoy an empty ship.

Thank you so much for your help. Our kids will be coming to Florida from California for the cruise. Wish it were the other way around which would be so much easier for them. Do you always sail out of Florida? My other concern if the 1 year old. The three year old is old enough to enjoy things. The baby is another story. Any other things you can think of to help would be appreciated. Thanks again.

We live in Los Angeles and we sailed out of Fl last spring and will do so again in March 2016. The only sailing options from California are to Alaska, Hawaii, or Mexico. I personally love the Atlantic Ocean because its much warmer than the Pacific Ocean (We've lived both in California and the East Coast)

The baby will have a blast, there will be so much for him/her to see and engange in. Just strolling around or playing on the beach will be tons of fun for the smaller kids. I purchased this portable beach mat from Big Lots. Its made of this straw like material and folds up into what looks like a tote bag. I took that with me when we got into the ports for my little one to play with. I also packed sand toys and a blow up floating ring that I snagged at the Dollar Store, it was heaven sent. The beach was very calm and my 2 year old kicked her way up and down the beach in the little ring. I found lots to do walking around at all of the ports. I plan on a few excursions this time since my daughter will be 3 years old and according to her a " Big Girl". Have fun and take lots of pics!!