Club O2, can 18 year old high schoolers get in ?

stormgrey11

I remember reading that 18 year olds got into Club O2 during a summer cruise if they just graduated high school. I am looking on carnival.com and it seems to explicitly state that this is not possible.

Can anyone confirm if this is a new policy or if it has always been the case ?

"Exclusivity – 15-17 year olds Only

Club O2 is designed specifically for 15-17 year olds, which means no kids and no adults. The lounge creates a safe and comfortable environment for our teen guests, with activities teens enjoy doing with their peers. There is no smoking or alcohol allowed in these lounges. It is all about fun and entertainment. Note: 18 year olds are not permitted to participate in or use the Club O2 facilities even if attending high school."

Technically they can't.

But my daughters tell me there isn't that much hanging out in Club 02 anyway. At least with the groups they've hung around with. They may use the club as a meeting point and that's it.

Also, early in the cruise at least, I've seen 18+ hanging out near the entrance of the Club playing card games, etc... If your ship has a Sports Square, that's also a good spot for meeting others.

Edited by fuddrules

Last year our 18 YO was entering his senior year (as we like to say, he enjoyed 5th grade so much he did it twice:rolleyes:). We did one Alaska cruise and one Caribbean cruise. He wasn't planning to ask about Club O2 on either cruise, but on the Alaska cruise he met some Club O2 kids and they asked the counselor whether he could participate. Since there weren't a lot of kids in that age group, the counselor was fine with it. On the Caribbean cruise, there were a lot of kids in Club O2 and son didn't even ask.

Post #4 is about as close as you might get... very few people and someone still in high school.

18-20 is an awkward age on Carnival... you can gamble onboard, can drink in most ports but not onboard. Many do drink onboard but it can get you (and family) thrown off the ship.

When our kids hit that age we did one cruise and then did land based vacations... now we cruise without them!

Where specifically did you read it was different and when?

Post #4 and exactly 1 minute prior to your post, perhaps? It's a common answer.

Kids aren't typically as rigid as adults. Rigidity is apparently a learned trait.

I was wondering about this too. We are cruising next June and our daughters will be 18(almost 19) and 16. My younger daughter won't want to go to the club by herself and her sister is too old. It's a shame they don't offer anything for the over 18 but not 21 group. I'm sure they will find plenty to do together regardless.

I was wondering about this too. We are cruising next June and our daughters will be 18(almost 19) and 16. My younger daughter won't want to go to the club by herself and her sister is too old. It's a shame they don't offer anything for the over 18 but not 21 group. I'm sure they will find plenty to do together regardless.

I have read this ten times and I still can't figure out what your point is.

Are you saying if the older one had a group to go to the 16 yr old would go to her group? Because even if there was an older group, they would not be together.

I have read this ten times and I still can't figure out what your point is.

Are you saying if the older one had a group to go to the 16 yr old would go to her group? Because even if there was an older group, they would not be together.

Geez sorry I wasn't more clear for you to understand, basically it's just too bad they don't have anything for my girls to do together since they are only 2 1/2 years apart.

Read on John Healds page on FB about 2 weeks ago that Carnival will begin having activities for the 18-20 group and that cruisers in this age range will receive an invitation in their cabins at the beginning of the cruise.

carnival has tried a time or two to have stuff for this group but only put a notice in the Fun Times and participation was poor.

I no longer have kids in this age range. We sailed in 2012 when my DD was an 18 year old HS Senior. We went to the first night activity in Club 02 to ask if she could join and she was allowed. As were 2 other girls and a 14 year old just a few weeks shy of 15. This spring break sailing did not have many in the 15-17 range and had an overload in the 12-14 range.

I understand rules are in place for a reason and appreciate flexibility when possible. While many 18 YO girls may have jumped at the chance to play with adults in the Clubs, my DD was not interested in getting hit on by 'drunk old dudes' on a cruise.

I hope the new program Carnival is rolling out will remain as 18-20 is a touh age for cruisers.

Edited by Normal 1

Two weeks ago my 18 year old son was sitting in his cabin after dinner. He said he couldn't find anyone his age without club O2. I told him to go get some pizza at 2am. From my experience, every 18 year old is hanging out there. Sure enough, he met a big group of 18-19s and we hardly saw him the rest of the cruise.

I hope they do make exceptions! We have the opposite problem. My daughter is 17 but she starts college next month. She will turn 18 in November. She does not want to go to the 15-17 year old club. Hopefully they will let her be part of the 18-20 group if the ship has the program up and running. I plan on bringing paperwork that shows she is in college.

I remember reading that 18 year olds got into Club O2 during a summer cruise if they just graduated high school. I am looking on carnival.com and it seems to explicitly state that this is not possible.

Can anyone confirm if this is a new policy or if it has always been the case ?

"Exclusivity – 15-17 year olds Only

Club O2 is designed specifically for 15-17 year olds, which means no kids and no adults. The lounge creates a safe and comfortable environment for our teen guests, with activities teens enjoy doing with their peers. There is no smoking or alcohol allowed in these lounges. It is all about fun and entertainment. Note: 18 year olds are not permitted to participate in or use the Club O2 facilities even if attending high school."

You answered your own question with the Carnival policy. An 18 YO high school graduate absolutely should stay out of the kids club.

Just got an email from John that is his "blog" and someone stated:

This morning, I am thrilled about the new club for the 18-20 age group. I had emailed you about needing something like that a while back.

He responded:

I know this is something you have been wanting for some time and I am glad to see we have it up and running.

So I guess there is now a place for 18-20 year olds?

We took our kids this past spring break. My oldest was a senior and 17. She did a few club activities. Several friends she met were already 18 but also seniors. They were not allowed in the structured activities but were able to hang out when things weren't structured since they were in high school. My daughter met people in club activities but for the most part hung out with the 18 year olds. She is now a college freshman but still 17 and she would still go to the club to see if she clicked with anyone but not spend tons of time there.

I would hope they wouldn't allow my child in the club at 18, because that means they don't allow any 18 year old's in the club. If they did I for one would lose trust in the safety of the club and it's structured activities. The age limits are reasonable and should be followed.

I would hope they wouldn't allow my child in the club at 18, because that means they don't allow any 18 year old's in the club. If they did I for one would lose trust in the safety of the club and it's structured activities. The age limits are reasonable and should be followed.

Did you have an 18 year old in highschool? I think the age limitations are ok but I also think it would be reasonable to just say that Club O2 is for high school students with a current school ID. I have 2 Juniors in high school at home currently. They are 12 months apart. My DD will be 18 this next summer therefore spending her entire high school senior year as an 18 year old....totally not uncommon where I'm from for summer birthday kids. Her brother will spend his senior year as a 17 year old. If we were to cruise during their senior year it would be odd that one could attend club O2 and one could not.

And it would have nothing to do with me not letting her grow up. They'll both head off to college or move out at the same time....after they graduate high school.

Did you have an 18 year old in highschool? I think the age limitations are ok but I also think it would be reasonable to just say that Club O2 is for high school students with a current school ID. I have 2 Juniors in high school at home currently. They are 12 months apart. My DD will be 18 this next summer therefore spending her entire high school senior year as an 18 year old....totally not uncommon where I'm from for summer birthday kids. Her brother will spend his senior year as a 17 year old. If we were to cruise during their senior year it would be odd that one could attend club O2 and one could not.

And it would have nothing to do with me not letting her grow up. They'll both head off to college or move out at the same time....after they graduate high school.

Actually yes two. Their birthdays were in August and turned 18 before 12th grade and I still say if those are their rules than they should enforce them. As a parent I see the rule and this is what I am expecting. If they change the rule to say High School students with verification, then I know there could be 18 (actually in PA it could mean up to the age of 20, as they could still be in 12th grade up to the age of 20) year olds in the Club and I can make an informed decision based on accurate information and I am fine with that.

I feel the same way about other rules posted on the ship. Either enforce the rule as stated, change it to what you will enforce, or get rid of it. This is all I ask.

I respect your opinion, I understand it, I have been there, this is just my humble opinion. :D

Edited by vlynn
to add information

I'm confused as to why anyone would think that it would matter what grade their child was in. And I'm really really surprised that any of the staff would ever "make an exception" to the Club O2 rules. At 18, a person is a legal adult, and the liability risk of letting an 18 year old into a group of 15-17 year olds is staggering.

Some rules, such as a child being just under the minimum age threshold for the little kids club but already being potty-trained and so allowed in, is one thing -- But when it comes to mixing legal adults and minors together that's a whole other serious thing.

Actually yes two. Their birthdays were in August and turned 18 before 12th grade and I still say if those are their rules than they should enforce them. As a parent I see the rule and this is what I am expecting. If they change the rule to say High School students with verification, then I know there could be 18 (actually in PA it could mean up to the age of 20, as they could still be in 12th grade up to the age of 20) year olds in the Club and I can make an informed decision based on accurate information and I am fine with that.

I feel the same way about other rules posted on the ship. Either enforce the rule as stated, change it to what you will enforce, or get rid of it. This is all I ask.

I respect your opinion, I understand it, I have been there, this is just my humble opinion. :D

Very well said.

It's for the protection of the 18 yr.old as well. On one cruise my DS was 17 and his BFF was 18. I had to remind the BFF that under no circumstances was he to mess around with under-aged girls as he was now an adult. He was kind of confused and said, "You mean I can't hang out with the younger girls at all?" I told him yes, he could be friends with younger girls but could not be anything more than that. At 18 you are an official adult but it doesn't mean you really think like one. So this rule I believe is also for the protection of not just the younger kids but for the older ones as well.

And I do wish that the cruise lines would enforce all their rules...Chair Hogs anyone?" However I think this one, regarding older kids mixing in with younger ones, is vitally important that it be enforced. JMHO

Edited by mousey