Curious about Barcelona cruise

Hi all,

Just booked a first Med cruise, on Harmony OTS for September 2016! :D:D:D We are stupid-excited for this cruise and looking forward to the trip to Spain before and after the cruise. We are going with a group (18 people total) and some have been to Europe(Italy and France), but not Spain.

I have been volunteered (by the group) to find information; So i'm in need of some information, help/advise, anything. I was curious for those who have been to Barcelona, what were some of the concerns (if any) you had while in the city? Is the city people-friendly? Is the Barcelona Port busy/hectic? Are there hotels near the port? What should we expect on a med cruise?

Any helpful information will be greatly appreciated. :):):)

Hi all,

Just booked a first Med cruise, on Harmony OTS for September 2016! :D:D:D We are stupid-excited for this cruise and looking forward to the trip to Spain before and after the cruise. We are going with a group (18 people total) and some have been to Europe(Italy and France), but not Spain.

I have been volunteered (by the group) to find information; So i'm in need of some information, help/advise, anything. I was curious for those who have been to Barcelona, what were some of the concerns (if any) you had while in the city? Is the city people-friendly? Is the Barcelona Port busy/hectic? Are there hotels near the port? What should we expect on a med cruise?

Any helpful information will be greatly appreciated. :):):)

You should also ask your questions in the Spain Ports forum:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=596

The port is pretty much in the City Centre. Ramblas is the main drag and from the end of that the port is around 10 mins walk (though Im not sure there is a footway to all berth) but there are shuttles and of course taxis. Consequently central hotels are not far from the cruise ship docks.

The main concern in Barcelona is pick-pocketing. Yes its an issue in many big cities but is very prevelant in Barcelona.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My wife and I went on a Med Cruise out of Barcelona. We left to Barcelona 2 days early so we could do our own sightseeing around the city. It is much less dangerous than going around New York City and I live just outside the city. You can take the trains, buses and cabs around anywhere in Barcelona. One thing I would suggest doing is the Barcelona Taste Tour (this is a tapas tour). You go around with 2 of the tour guides to 3 different Tapas Restaurants and eat and have drinks in each one. The tour was supposed to be 3 hours and ended up being 5 hours and we all had a blast. Have a Great time and relax.:D

We were in Barcelona for two days this past May prior to our Med cruise. We loved Barcelona - it is a fabulously walkable city. There are many guide books and maps that will help you navigate through the gothic architecture, gorgeous churches, oversized parks, and Gaudi masterpieces . The food is tremendous - try everything and enjoy the shopping as well. Las Ramblas is at the city center with shops and eateries, but there are many good finds off the main drag too. We stayed at The Gallery Hotel and found it to be clean, with a lovely breakfast, and quite convenient. There's a pastry place right next door to the hotel that is not to be missed - can't remember the name but YUM! Enjoy your time planning and your days in this lovely city.

A few things about Barcelona

Its definitely a good choice to sail from Barcelona rather than Rome. The airport, city centre and cruise terminal are all within reasonably easy reach of each other (20-30 Euro taxi). Rome is not nearly as good from that point of view - eg it cost us 150 Euro to travel from Rome airport to Civitavecchia, and Civitavecchia itself is pretty grotty.

Travel round Barcelona - the cheapest way if you're there for a few days is to buy a package of 10 metro tickets (I think it will cost 10 euro). You can buy a package between two if you don't think you'll be travelling much.

Las Ramblas, as others have said, is the main shopping street - its great. The best value restaurants will be off the side streets. But we found Barcelona quite affordable overall - eg, a big bottle of mineral water only costs 1 euro.

If you want to go to La Sagrada Familia (famous cathedral designed by Gaudi) then buy tickets in advance online, there's long lines otherwise. Bear in mind that work is still ongoing in the cathedral so there's lots of building noise, drilling etc. I did find that a shame, but the place is still worth seeing - very unusual.

We stayed at the Hotel Universal which I can highly recommend, nice rooftop swimming pool and bar, free wifi, very comfortable. Right by Parallel Metro station.

We went on a Med cruise on the Allure about a month ago. Barcelona was my favorite port. I actually preferred walking around the city over Rome. Lots of trees provided ample shade for comfortable walking. We purchased a HoHo bus pass which was about 30 Euros for the day. There are three main route types (Red, Blue and Green) and the pass allowed you to go on all three if you wanted. A great way to see the main sites of the city. They gave you earbuds so you can plug them in and listen to the tour narration. There were many languages to choose from.

We love Barcelona! Parc Guell ( designed by Gaudi) is a must see, as is the old (gothic) part of the City. Also, be sure and walk the Boqueria and maybe get something to eat!

We stayed at Hotel 1898, central, beautiful and historic, right on Las Ramblas.

Check out Runner Bean tours. They are free (tip at the end of tour). They have several tours available, guides were knowledgeable and friendly. We used them for two different tours.

Can Majo, seafood restaurant, on the water... Best sangria and paella... EVER!!!

You will have a great time!!!

The port is pretty much in the City Centre. Ramblas is the main drag and from the end of that the port is around 10 mins walk (though Im not sure there is a footway to all berth) but there are shuttles and of course taxis. Consequently central hotels are not far from the cruise ship docks.

The Blue Bus goes to the ships:

http://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.com/en/transport/barcelona-cruise-port.html

Manny

Excellent responses everyone! I truly appreciate it. Definitively something I will check into so my time in Barcelona will not be too exciting ;). Especially since my group is a bunch of crazy hispanics, i'm sure we'll fit in just nice. ;);)

I know some of the Oasis-class ships have made it to the med; I was curious if these ships tend to not get overcrowded? For some reason I get the impression, Med cruises will not be as crowded compared to the Caribbean cruises. Correct me if I am wrong.

Also, since the cruise is in a different country, will the language differ from English?

Excellent responses everyone! I truly appreciate it. Definitively something I will check into so my time in Barcelona will not be too exciting ;). Especially since my group is a bunch of crazy hispanics, i'm sure we'll fit in just nice. ;);)

I know some of the Oasis-class ships have made it to the med; I was curious if these ships tend to not get overcrowded? For some reason I get the impression, Med cruises will not be as crowded compared to the Caribbean cruises. Correct me if I am wrong.

Also, since the cruise is in a different country, will the language differ from English?

I was on the Serenade of the Seas and the ship was almost at capacity they spoke English, Spanish and another language I can't remember though.

There will be many people from other countries, many more than on Caribbean cruises. First and official language on board will be English.

... A full ship is a full ship. ;). There will be fewer children, people will dress a little less casual but really, not many other differences.

I'd like to suggest Sandeman's New Europe free walking tour. The tour is about 3 hours and is free - you then tip the guide at the end what you feel the tour was worth. Their meeting point is close to the Gothic area. The walk will give you an opportunity to learn some of the history of Barcelona while exploring a small portion of the city.

Enjoy Barcelona - it's a great city. Just be smart about your belongings (not a lot of expensive jewelry, pocketbooks that close and can be carried close to the body, wallets in your front pants pocket, etc.). We have been there about 5 or 6 times and have never had any problems.

Marianne

Our sailing was full but like on the other two oasis class cruises we took, the ship never really felt overcrowded.

Almost all announcements were made in English, Italian and I believe Spanish. The muster drill took longer because it was done in multiple languages. Even at the beginning and end of the shows where the Cruise director would say a few words, multiple languages were used.

One nice little touch different from the other RCCL cruises that I have taken was that we were given glasses of Champagne during our embarkation in Rome (not sure if those that Embarked in Barcelona got the same treatment).

We are going to Barcelona (2nd time) in October. Loved the city. The others posters above said it all and I can't add much more, however, Barcelona is known for pick pockets so be aware. Don't carry much cash or wear expensive or flashy jewelry, keep carry on secure i.e. cameras, purses etc. Look out in crowds for distractions. Other than that you should have a wonderful experience. Criminal or harmful activity is minimal so you should feel safe.

We are going to Barcelona (2nd time) in October. Loved the city. The others posters above said it all and I can't add much more, however, Barcelona is known for pick pockets so be aware. Don't carry much cash or wear expensive or flashy jewelry, keep carry on secure i.e. cameras, purses etc. Look out in crowds for distractions. Other than that you should have a wonderful experience. Criminal or harmful activity is minimal so you should feel safe.

Thank you Shrifk for the heads up. This has been a very circulated issue i've seen in my research about Barcelona. As a prior service member, its instinctive of me to be aware of my surroundings. Definitely will pass along the message to our group.

I did a review in Oct 2014 "Our families viewpoint of our Med cruise" it was out of Barcelona. I also have pics on it.

We did public transportation for all trips around Barcelona (we were complete newbies at this!) Saved quite a bit of $ We would buy the T-10 card and we could just hand it off to the next one in our party (doesn't have to be used by the same person) Then we would just purchase more s needed.

Also did Sagrada Familia (Hubby was more impressed with it than the Vatican!) Definitely buy tickets online before hand if you want to guarantee getting in! We went to Park Guell just walked around the outside didn't go into the museums but for our family that was fine. (Nice views of the city)

On our return from the cruise we took the trains up to Monserrat. The day had started out beautiful but by the time we got there it was raining and temps dropped to in the 50's. We were not prepared, and would have really enjoyed it more had the weather cooperated.

Also if you can check what nights the Majic Fountain has there light show, we all really liked that too!

We stayed at the Hotel Universal which I can highly recommend, nice rooftop swimming pool and bar, free wifi, very comfortable. Right by Parallel Metro station.

Stayed at the same hotel last time in Barcelona. Had a great room with a terrace, separate living area and a big jacuzzi in the bathroom. It was a Superior double. They only have two of these so you may have to book early. Not much more expensive than a regular room. The staff was great and helped us a lot.

Have also stayed at hotel Fira Palace, now called Crowne Plaza Fira Center which also is a great hotel with big rooms. It's not that close to Las Ramblas and the old town so you have to walk a little more.

It's very close to the Magic Fountain though (which has a light show with music on Friday and Saturday evenings - packed with people).

If you like soccer try to get tickets for a game. Barcelona is one of the top clubs in Spain. I'm sure the hotel staff will help you with tickets.

Some say you can go in for free, but I have not tried that - they say you just have to stay outside the arena and after some time there will be someone asking you if you want to watch the game. I'm not sure if that really works.

As some other have mentioned Sagrada Familia is a must, Park Guell is very nice, the beaches are just a short walk from the city center, Las Ramblas is nice and packed with people (expensive to eat there and rather touristic), Placa Reial is a rather nice square with lots of places to eat (it may be rather touristic there too).

The food in general is great, especially the Tapas. Last year we took a "tapas tour" which was really nice as we went to places that were more genuine and not touristic. We went back to a few of them during our four days there.

I have never felt unsafe in Barcelona, and have not had any issues with pickpocketing during my times there, but as usual in big cities you may have to be careful.

I love this city and have always stayed there some days there before my Med cruises. Can't wait to go back. May have to book a Med cruise again soon. :)

The OP asked what to expect during a med cruise; expect to be exhausted! :D

The cruises are often port intensive, not many sea days, and there is so much to see in every port (mostly historic sites) so there will be very long days.

I'm not sure what ports you will visit, but Florence is a very nice place to visit if you have the opportunity.

If you stop in Naples there is of course the Island of Capri to go to but I would recommend a trip to the Amalfi coast. Did a private tour last year from Naples to Sorrento and Positano. Wow - the views! The food!

Below are a few photos from the Amalfi coast.

/Erik

On our way to Positano.

Amalfi-01_zpsnvwox59n.jpg

Positano.

Amalfi-02_zpst27i9cpa.jpg

View from the restaurant outside of (above) Positano.

Amalfi-03_zpsf4iykojy.jpg

Stayed at the same hotel last time in Barcelona. Had a great room with a terrace, separate living area and a big jacuzzi in the bathroom. It was a Superior double. They only have two of these so you may have to book early. Not much more expensive than a regular room. The staff was great and helped us a lot.

Have also stayed at hotel Fira Palace, now called Crowne Plaza Fira Center which also is a great hotel with big rooms. It's not that close to Las Ramblas and the old town so you have to walk a little more.

It's very close to the Magic Fountain though (which has a light show with music on Friday and Saturday evenings - packed with people).

If you like soccer try to get tickets for a game. Barcelona is one of the top clubs in Spain. I'm sure the hotel staff will help you with tickets.

Some say you can go in for free, but I have not tried that - they say you just have to stay outside the arena and after some time there will be someone asking you if you want to watch the game. I'm not sure if that really works.

As some other have mentioned Sagrada Familia is a must, Park Guell is very nice, the beaches are just a short walk from the city center, Las Ramblas is nice and packed with people (expensive to eat there and rather touristic), Placa Reial is a rather nice square with lots of places to eat (it may be rather touristic there too).

The food in general is great, especially the Tapas. Last year we took a "tapas tour" which was really nice as we went to places that were more genuine and not touristic. We went back to a few of them during our four days there.

I have never felt unsafe in Barcelona, and have not had any issues with pickpocketing during my times there, but as usual in big cities you may have to be careful.

I love this city and have always stayed there some days there before my Med cruises. Can't wait to go back. May have to book a Med cruise again soon. :)

The OP asked what to expect during a med cruise; expect to be exhausted! :D

The cruises are often port intensive, not many sea days, and there is so much to see in every port (mostly historic sites) so there will be very long days.

I'm not sure what ports you will visit, but Florence is a very nice place to visit if you have the opportunity.

If you stop in Naples there is of course the Island of Capri to go to but I would recommend a trip to the Amalfi coast. Did a private tour last year from Naples to Sorrento and Positano. Wow - the views! The food!

Below are a few photos from the Amalfi coast.

/Erik

On our way to Positano.

Amalfi-01_zpsnvwox59n.jpg

Positano.

Amalfi-02_zpst27i9cpa.jpg

View from the restaurant outside of (above) Positano.

Amalfi-03_zpsf4iykojy.jpg

OK, those pictures just got me SUPER excited for the private tour I booked for the Salerno/Amalfi Coast day (I'm doing "Excursion 4 - Positano, Amalfi, and Ravello" with AP Tours)!! Pricey, but I get to pretty much set the schedule within the overall parameters! :)

Thanks also for the tips about Barcelona! I haven't bought those tickets yet, but I have been looking. Looks like I'll be in about a day and a half before the cruise then out the day we return, so I'll just get a sample of the city. I looked at the tapas tour, but any time there's something like "if you're booking as one person, please contact us" I get wary, so I'll probably just explore on my own.

Are taxis readily available at the port? I'm trying to decide if I'd rather do that or the ship's transfer to get to the airport. I've read more than one horror story about pre-arranged transportation not showing up and claiming things like "traffic" or "he's there, you just don't see him" and stuff for me to want to risk one of those services.

Barcelona is great.....just be careful with your belongings.....pickpockets are in gangs and very good at their trade!!!!

Don't go wandering around drunk! Especially at night....

Tip on embarkation. There is a wine store after check in.......so you can buy and take onboard more wine and spirits than officially allowed in your hand luggage.....

Never done it myself of course.......

The food market La Boqueria is a must visit...right on la rambla.......eat lunch there.......

Use the HOHO buses to do your tours........

Enjoy this amazing city........

Barcelona is our favorite city. BUT YOU NEED TO BE AWARE AT ALL TIMES. There are many street performers that are highly entertaining with ppl crowding to see them. Do NOT stand in the crowd, stand back to watch. The thieves may be milling through the crowd. We went to the night time Majic Fountains; it was wonderful but returning to our hotel via the subway; it was very packed in the cars and that is where one guy tried to lift my DH's wallet from his upper 'breast pocket' and under/through his coat (that's not where he hid it). DH grabbed his arm and loudly said "Pickpocket". He backed off with his hands raised in the air and kept his hands raised til the next subway stop. Then he and his pack of friends exited quickly. Most are not out to do you physical harm, they just want your $$$. We kinda laugh and tell people that there must be a P.U. in Barcelona; "Pickpockets University".