Early Saver vs Past Guest Rate when BOOKING WHILE ON YOUR CURRENT CRUISE

RecoveryDude

Hi! I am going on a cruise in 3 weeks and am considering booking a new cruise while on this one, as I now understand that I will get some bonus OBC. However, I have seen people mention that they book the "past guest rate" as opposed to the Early Saver rate. Why wouldnt you ALWAYS book the Early Saver rate? unless I'm missing something, my research shows me that the Early Saver is almost always CHEAPER than past guest, AND has the added benefit of PRICE Protection. Don't they have the same rates available at the same prices as carnival.com when you book while on a cruise?

Thanks!

ES is the way to book if you definitely know you are definitely going on that future cruise and will not be making any changes between now and then. Each change to your ES booking results in a $50 pp change fee.

Book PG if the future cruise is a long way out or you might cancel it or make changes. PG has no change fees. Some people initially book PG and then change to ES later.

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHH .... so if I know SPECIFCIALLY which cruise I want and don't plan on changing it, then I can book ES as long as I dont plan on changing it ... because if I change the booking I have a $50 penalty - However, if I am NOT SURE which cruise I want to take I can just book PG rate and then change it without a fee?

And to be sure, if I book PG on a cruise, when I get back I can change it to ES without a problem?

Thanks!!!

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHH .... so if I know SPECIFCIALLY which cruise I want and don't plan on changing it, then I can book ES as long as I dont plan on changing it ... because if I change the booking I have a $50 penalty - However, if I am NOT SURE which cruise I want to take I can just book PG rate and then change it without a fee?

And to be sure, if I book PG on a cruise, when I get back I can change it to ES without a problem?

Thanks!!!

YES to all of the above..

I just asked all these same questions and CC helpers cleared it up for me. If you just want to take advantage of the OBC in the future and want the option to pick your "real" cruise later then book PG (and yes you can change to a better ES rate later if you want). If you are 100% sure you know the exact cruise you want and won't change your mind that book ES.

One other suggestion I picked up... if you want to save some up front $$ when booking on board just find a 3 day PG rate cruise like a year or more away and book it. Then you can put down the smallest deposit possible to hold your OBC (since the longer the cruise, the bigger the deposit). Once you get back home and decide somewhere down the road what you really want to book you can change then or cancel if you want with no out of pocket expense. If you book a longer cruise you will have to cover the additional deposit when you change to that cruise... but it helps spread out the cost a little. Just make sure to make your final decision of what cruise you want or to cancel before final payment is due under the PG rate you booked on board. That is why the farther out you book the date for, the more time you have to make up your mind exactly what you want.

Kind of have a cruise in mind picked out when you get on board to do your booking under to make it go faster for you. Any on restricted 3 day PG way out would be good.

Edited by wemjam

Will I have access to more cabin choices since I'm booking direct with a "live" carnival person vs doing it online via carnival.com when I get home? Also, if I dont want to wait in a long line, is there a better time to do this, ie, as soon as I get on the ship?

U guys Rock, I've learned so much from posting on these forums. Thanks very much for everyones help and advice!!!! :)

--Jeff aka Recovery Dude

Book PG if the future cruise is a long way out or you might cancel it or make changes. PG has no change fees. Some people initially book PG and then change to ES later.

I do book PG while on the ship to make sure I get the OBC and have the flexibility to change ships/date if I have to. When I am sure of the actual cruise I am taking then I convert to ES to take advantage of any price drops after final payment. This has worked for me. If you do decide to change the cruise just make sure you tell the Carnival phone rep to keep the original booking number for the new cruise. You will lose the OBC if you are assigned a new booking number. Also remind the phone rep to make sure the OBC goes to the new booking. There are some agents that don't know how to do it and may have to ask a supervisor how to attached the OBC to the new booking.

Will I have access to more cabin choices since I'm booking direct with a "live" carnival person vs doing it online via carnival.com when I get home? Also, if I dont want to wait in a long line, is there a better time to do this, ie, as soon as I get on the ship?

U guys Rock, I've learned so much from posting on these forums. Thanks very much for everyones help and advice!!!! :)

--Jeff aka Recovery Dude

No, you do not have more "access" to cabins on board. You also HAVE to book this direct with the cruise consultant. For the shorter lines- go before they present any programs.

IF there is a line- be WELL prepared for being stuck behind people, who just don't have a clue what they want to book- taking up way too much time.

I find it much easier, when I get to the front- just telling the consultant, to book me random cruises under the past guest rate (usually I do 3 at a time) as far out as possible. I show my sail and sign cards and then leave. :) I get the paperwork later at my cabin.

Hi! I am going on a cruise in 3 weeks and am considering booking a new cruise while on this one, as I now understand that I will get some bonus OBC. However, I have seen people mention that they book the "past guest rate" as opposed to the Early Saver rate. Why wouldnt you ALWAYS book the Early Saver rate? unless I'm missing something, my research shows me that the Early Saver is almost always CHEAPER than past guest, AND has the added benefit of PRICE Protection. Don't they have the same rates available at the same prices as carnival.com when you book while on a cruise?

Thanks!

We don't book ES while on cruises because we book the shortest cruise furthest out knowing that we won't sail that cruise. When we find just the right cruise, we contact our PVP who transfers the booking number to the new sailing. We pay the additional deposit and the OBC adjusts according to the length of the new cruise. We still receive price adjustments until final payment date. The restrictions of ES aren't worth it to us, especially since I've never seen our price go down after final payment anyway. (I check for kicks and giggles even though I know I'm not eligible should the price drop.)

YES to all of the above..

I just asked all these same questions and CC helpers cleared it up for me. If you just want to take advantage of the OBC in the future and want the option to pick your "real" cruise later then book PG (and yes you can change to a better ES rate later if you want). If you are 100% sure you know the exact cruise you want and won't change your mind that book ES.

One other suggestion I picked up... if you want to save some up front $$ when booking on board just find a 3 day PG rate cruise like a year or more away and book it. Then you can put down the smallest deposit possible to hold your OBC (since the longer the cruise, the bigger the deposit). Once you get back home and decide somewhere down the road what you really want to book you can change then or cancel if you want with no out of pocket expense. If you book a longer cruise you will have to cover the additional deposit when you change to that cruise... but it helps spread out the cost a little. Just make sure to make your final decision of what cruise you want or to cancel before final payment is due under the PG rate you booked on board. That is why the farther out you book the date for, the more time you have to make up your mind exactly what you want.

Kind of have a cruise in mind picked out when you get on board to do your booking under to make it go faster for you. Any on restricted 3 day PG way out would be good.

Hey, that sounds like something I wrote in an earlier post...;)

If you are definitely going and there is a particular room you want, you may as well lock it up with ES before it is gone since Past Guest rate is higher.

We booked Pride for Next May. PG rate was only $20 more total than ES rate.(Yes, we did book an actual cruise this time. We also booked a three day dummy cruise.)

Edited by stargate fan

--Jeff aka Recovery Dude

I always find it's best to go to the Future Cruise Desk early in the cruise.

No, you do not have more "access" to cabins on board. You also HAVE to book this direct with the cruise consultant. For the shorter lines- go before they present any programs.

IF there is a line- be WELL prepared for being stuck behind people, who just don't have a clue what they want to book- taking up way too much time.

I find it much easier, when I get to the front- just telling the consultant, to book me random cruises under the past guest rate (usually I do 3 at a time) as far out as possible. I show my sail and sign cards and then leave. :) I get the paperwork later at my cabin.

Actually, the Future Cruise Expert does have access to more cabins than what shows up on the Carnival website.

While I agree that unless you are absolutely sure that the cruise you book is the cruise you want to take, PG is the better way to go and you can change it to ES at a later date. However, be aware that Carnival can withdraw ES at any time. ES normally is not available just before 5 months out ( maybe less on the shorter cruises ).

Carnival can at their discretion not offer ES. About 2 years ago, Carnival did not offer ES for a period of a few months so during that period, if someone had booked PG, they did not have the option to change to ES.

3/4/5 days - $50

6 days - $75

7/8/9 days - $100

12+ days - $200

Plus two Friends and Family certificates for OBC to pass on to anyone who wishes to book the SAME cruise.

I didn't see mention of 10 & 11 day cruises.

It has been updated to include the 10 & 11 days , 7-11 days gets $100 OBC:o:o

So if you book a 3 day cruise to get OBC linked to your booking and then change to longer cruise how does that affect the F&F vouchers? Are they now good for your longer cruise? Are the 60 days the F&F vouchers from the date of booking onboard the 3 day "dummy" cruise??? Thanks!

So if you book a 3 day cruise to get OBC linked to your booking and then change to longer cruise how does that affect the F&F vouchers? Are they now good for your longer cruise? Are the 60 days the F&F vouchers from the date of booking onboard the 3 day "dummy" cruise??? Thanks!

It is 60 days from the return date of that current cruise you booked on.

Yes, the 60'days are from the date you first book on board.

If you rebook your longer cruise within the 60 days, the booking # would reflect your new cruise under that booking # and when the certificate/voucher is sent in, only your booking # is on it and not the dummy cruise you booked. Only your new cruise is on file so your friends/family can book the same cruise as you.

However, if you do not book a new cruise within 60 days, the dummy cruise is the cruise of record so your friends/family would only be able to use the voucher for booking that dummy cruise. If you book your new cruise after60 days, everything is good for you as long as it is before final payment. However, your F&F vouchers would have expired after the 60 days so cannot be used.

It is 60 days from the return date of that current cruise you booked on.

The F&F Certificates are good for 60 days from date of booking.

While I agree that unless you are absolutely sure that the cruise you book is the cruise you want to take, PG is the better way to go and you can change it to ES at a later date. However, be aware that Carnival can withdraw ES at any time. ES normally is not available just before 5 months out ( maybe less on the shorter cruises ).

Carnival can at their discretion not offer ES. About 2 years ago, Carnival did not offer ES for a period of a few months so during that period, if someone had booked PG, they did not have the option to change to ES.

On the flip side CCL has extended the ES promotion well past the 5 month mark on sailings that aren't selling that well. Last call early saver is what it is called i believe.

Haven't seen it a lot but I have seen it.

Bill

Thanks!

We are able to book Military Rate which is usually the same as ES when we book a full year in advance while on a cruise. When we get home and are positive of the dates, etc., I call & change it to ES. I go on the cruise prepared for what we want to book the next year, but just feel better not confirming to ES till after we get home.