St Kitts railway

Just booked this trip for our cruise I have heard it comes highly recommended quite pricey but hope its worth it do any of you know if any food or drink is available on the train. any more trips that you would think are unmissable that i should be considering its paradise islands and tropical delights

Absolutely fantastic trip, well in our opinion, we did receive a drink we also had a group of girls singing and locals out waving as you went past we are going again next year I will have a look tomorrow at your cruise and report on the trips we have done in the past ,we have been for the last 6 year's,☺

It's a few years ago we did the train but we had two drinks offered. Iirc there were two different cocktail type drinks - rum punch was one and perhaps pina colada was the other. I remember distinctly it was two though because I tried both!!! I feel sure there were alternatives - beer and a soft drink/water? But no food.

Yes, an expensive trip but we really enjoyed it and from talking to other passengers who tried to DiY they found it cost them more for tickets and taxis! There seems to be a bit of a monopoly with the train company and cruise ships! We had a bit of a short tour/detour on the way back via a fort - didn't go in but we did get a bit of sightseeing thrown in. Enjoy!

Hi infoqueen

I have already reported on one of your cruises the paradise islands, the post is under 'Celebration 13/12/15' dated Aug 15th. As for the other cruise I would not recommend the sub on Aruba and I think we did mainly round island tours never done the 'rum runner' but have witnessed passengers being carried back to the ship so it must be good:p

Have a great time:)

We did the St Kitts railway in February 2014 and enjoyed it. Yes ...a bit expensive but we thought it was worth it. We sat upstairs on the back seat and were offered drinks each time they were brought up the stairs but lost count of the Piña Colados I had. IMO it is best to be upstairs as the views are better.

i thought it was a little overpriced imo... but there is no doubting that it is a very scenic way to see the interior of the island, the train follows the coast for a time too:cool:

they hand out rum cocktails and there is a commentary… I havnt made my mind up about the onboard choir yet?

top deck is bench seating along each side, it can be a bit tight? especially if other ships are in and there will be pax from all the ships on board the train

lower deck has regular train 2 x 2 seating with tables and big windows

the train (and the line) is narrow and it does go over some precipitous ravines (v slowly):eek::cool:

part of the tour is by mini bus

kittstrain.jpg

[/url]

kits.jpg

kits1.jpg

We found the choir OK but it could be the rum had something to do with it, we did enjoy the trip

... :D Funny Above! The rum definitely helped!

We did enjoy the tour and thought it was an very enjoyable thing to do once. :)

LuLu

Edited by OCruisers

Hi infoqueen

I have already reported on one of your cruises the paradise islands, the post is under 'Celebration 13/12/15' dated Aug 15th. As for the other cruise I would not recommend the sub on Aruba and I think we did mainly round island tours never done the 'rum runner' but have witnessed passengers being carried back to the ship so it must be good[emoji14]

Have a great time:)

Been looking for that post but can't find it :-(

Sent from my SM-T330 using Tapatalk

I have been to St Kitts and never knew there was a railway:o:o:o

Is it as good as the one in Flam?

I wouldn't say so Linda. Different experience really. Flam is so scenic, majestic mountains and simply spectacular. St Kitts was lovely and we thoroughly enjoyed it but it follows a low lying route around part of the island passing the nursery school where the children come out to wave, passing little homesteads, people working the land but few sea views and you get the drinks, commentary and singers. But I didn't realise until we took a taxi Cockleshell Beach that there were fabulous views to be had of the Atlantic and Caribbean Sea on either side of the island! That involves travelling on the other half of the island from the train route which is totally different in its geography. Both train trips are worth doing but they are very very different.

We enjoyed the railway in Jan 13 and the rum punches and Pina colados!! We sat up on top deck which was great for photos. I was really enjoying the commentary too, but he kept talking when the choir girls were in our carriage so we couldn't hear him then, but stopped the commentary when they were in his cabin. Very enjoyable experience though.

Hi sparklyB

It was in 'roll calls' Hi 1 ainr

We are doing this itinerary but on a back to back in Feb however we have done it many times before on both Destiny and the Dream. IMO if you are doing just one week I think you have chosen one of the best.

Bridgetown you can just walk into town depending on how much time you have or get a rickshaw, great fun. Remember its Sunday so most places will be shut, if you are only on the one week it may be an idea to do the trip and transfer back to the airport then you will see some of the island.

Road Town again you can just walk into town which is very colourful also a good trip is 'around the island' its on an open seated lorry!!.

St Maarten our favourite lots of shops when you dock and probably lots of other cruise ships the trip to the 'other' side of the island we found very interesting and you can always risk life and limb to see the planes land but we now always get early off the boat pick up the water taxi (queues will form later on) walk to the far end of the beach hire beds etc and a bucket of beer and enjoy a great beach, suggest you try bargaining the price if you are early, then check out the shops on the way back MAGIC.

St Kitts if you don't do anything else on your cruise I would highly recommend the train trip, its expensive but IMO one of the best.

Antigua I think the best trip we did was 'round the island' but ending up at Nelsons Dock yard fascinating place to see we were very fortunate that we witnessed some of the round the world rowers getting in which made it extra special, recommend if you have a rum here you only have one

St Vincent Round the island trip again is a good one also if you haven't been to Bequia that's a nice trip. I would not recommend that you just walk round Kingstown, well we don't like it anyway but others probably would.

Its been a couple of years now since we have been on Celebration but reports are favourable at the moment and I will report back when I get back as we are one her again in September.

Hope this helps and have a great one :)

you can skip the water taxi in st maartin...its $7 per person (return) easy to walk (about 15 minutes) left out of the port gates and left again through dock maartin (the marina) past captains duty free shop, over the little bridge and you're on the beach

maho beach (end of airport runway) has recently lost all its sand in a storm (just a rocky foreshore at the moment) locals are hoping that the sand will wash back in naturally

the most beautiful powder white sand beaches in the world on antigua (choose from about 300)

st vincent: kingstown is very local/vibrant/authentic caribbean....... water taxi from the ships dock to the beach about $5pp (bit of white knuckle ride tho) i dont know how much a taxi would charge to go overland?

to get away from the crowds/vendors (on the beach) you could always pay one of the locals with a boat to row you over to young island where there is a quiet resort, the bar (and a swim up bar in the sea) is open to non residents:cool:

Hi geo are you certain about the turn left out of port gate? From what I recall after passing through security its straight on for water taxis or right then left for the walk into town I realise that the new extension is up and working but surely if you turn left then left you would be in the bay😕😕

thanks so much for all your help, love the photos geo. so i have no doubt i have done the right thing by booking st kitts at least its paid for anyway and I heard that it gets booked up quite early. I am so looking forward to our cruise even though we have done it in 2014 on Dream we were a bit green and didnt organise ourselves much this time we dont want to miss anything. think beach in antigua definately and plenty of rum

Hi geo are you certain about the turn left out of port gate? From what I recall after passing through security its straight on for water taxis or right then left for the walk into town I realise that the new extension is up and working but surely if you turn left then left you would be in the bay😕😕

its thru the turnstyles (at the end of the dock) straight up thru the shopping high street, past the land taxi dispatch area (on the right) and left out of the port gates

thanks so much for all your help, love the photos geo. so i have no doubt i have done the right thing by booking st kitts at least its paid for anyway and I heard that it gets booked up quite early. I am so looking forward to our cruise even though we have done it in 2014 on Dream we were a bit green and didnt organise ourselves much this time we dont want to miss anything. think beach in antigua definately and plenty of rum

have a great cruise info... we are on the same itinerary in december :cool: