canadian offer on RC

retiredkid

bummer :( I was on the RCI boards for my friend and discovered that they are offering USD OBC for 10% exchange. (1000 US for 1100 CD) . Fab. u. lous.

Of course, I called, and the guy was so apathetic in his responses. "hmm, no, I haven't heard of that." and when asked if there was ANY kind of promotion, he said "other than what you have? nope" Then silence. (BTW, I have NO promos or breaks whatsoever.)

I certainly don't want or expect him to behave like he is my best bud, but a little courtesy (or at least a little empathy) goes a long way. I have contacted ship services many times, and that is the first time I have felt like I was really REALLY imposing on them. (I could almost hear his eyes roll) :D Thanks for letting me vent. It helps, sometimes.

Unfortunately that seems the way of the world. Many employees are just not engaged. That said, I would think they have no pull whatsoever in making any changes. You might want to email guest relations or post on Facebook but I doubt if that would give you any more satisfaction.

bummer :( I was on the RCI boards for my friend and discovered that they are offering USD OBC for 10% exchange. (1000 US for 1100 CD) . Fab. u. lous.

Of course, I called, and the guy was so apathetic in his responses. "hmm, no, I haven't heard of that." and when asked if there was ANY kind of promotion, he said "other than what you have? nope" Then silence. (BTW, I have NO promos or breaks whatsoever.)

I certainly don't want or expect him to behave like he is my best bud, but a little courtesy (or at least a little empathy) goes a long way. I have contacted ship services many times, and that is the first time I have felt like I was really REALLY imposing on them. (I could almost hear his eyes roll) :D Thanks for letting me vent. It helps, sometimes.

Cathy if it was RC that you called, i can give you a few more details. If you book a RC cruise in Canadian dollars, the exchange rate is fixed to the rate on the day you booked. So you can buy on board credit, your ship excursions etc at the fixed exchange rate. We booked at 1.19 while some booked when it was at par. The rate changes every quarter so its probably still 1.19. Hope this helps.

Edited by Mar56

Cathy if it was RC that you called, i can give you a few more details. If you book a RC cruise in Canadian dollars, the exchange rate is fixed to the rate on the day you booked. So you can buy on board credit, your ship excursions etc at the fixed exchange rate. We booked at 1.19 while some booked when it was at par. The rate changes every quarter so its probably still 1.19. Hope this helps.

Mar56, it was actually HAL that I called. I am booked there already.

The way that I read the RCI threads this morning, I misinterpreted as people are phoning now and all of them getting the flat 10% rate as a promo. Wishful thinking, I guess. Thanks for the added info. At least I don't feel so 'put out' with HAL.

Mar56, it was actually HAL that I called. I am booked there already.

The way that I read the RCI threads this morning, I misinterpreted as people are phoning now and all of them getting the flat 10% rate as a promo. Wishful thinking, I guess. Thanks for the added info. At least I don't feel so 'put out' with HAL.

For what little it is worth, at least you can book a HAL cruise in Canadian dollars. They adjust the rate 3-4 times a year I believe. If you book at the right time, before they get it repriced, you can do very well.

It can also work in reverse of course ;) but that's when we book in USD$

Ahh if one only had a crystal ball.

It's a great offer. We received the same offer on our Celebrity (also owned by RC) cruise this past January. The exchange then was 9%. Needless to say, we took advantage of it. Lots of Canadian travellers on the threads and roll calls were taking advantage of the offer.

Celebrity also sent us an email 3 days prior to embarkation with an offer to pre-pay our gratuities. They offered us a small discount of about $4, but the offer was in CAD funds. We certainly took advantage of that offer also. Why wait 10 days to pay 30% more?

Princess also allows you to buy OBC at the rate your cruise was priced at.. Our fall cruise was at 20% exchange so I have bought some OBC at the same rate to cover our tips, etc. Some booked our cruise earlier and paid only 10% exchange and are able to buy OBC at that rate. It would be nice if HAL offered this opportunity as they are also under the Carnival umbrella.