$20 meat upgrades in MDR?

sandinmyshoes

Refuse to pay extra for meat on MDR menu. Also never pay extra for specialty restaurants. Why? I can see this snowballing into extra for many items on many menus.

I think we will pay for extras when we want but you do as you like it's your money.

I ordered off the Steakhouse menu once last cruise but it wasn't a steak it was the lamb. I don't get it unless I am on a cruise so we went to the Steakhouse once and then I ordered it off the MDR menu when it came up.

tigercat

I ordered a steakhouse item in the MDR on my last cruise.

It took a really really long time to get to me, but it WAS delicious.

I decided to do so because I really enjoy a quality steak, and I sail solo.

Going to the steakhouse by yourself - I have done it, but 2 hours for a meal by myself is really LONG. Plus all the servers and diners next to me kept asking if I was by myself repeatedly.

That gets old, really quickly.

• 3 weeks later...
I'll be on the Victory in October. I love love love lobster. If I paid the $20 upgrade fee will that be for one lobster tail?

Yes. But it is much bigger than the regular ones served in the dining room plus it's a cold water lobster

Edited by Bases5

Honestly from what I have seen, no it is not worth the extra $20. You do have to remember that not every ship has a steakhouse but the stuff they serve in their signature steakhouses isn't that great anyway if you ask me. Would rather get a steak from a place like outback or Texas roadhouse back on land as I like that type of cooking more anyway.

I believe it is just the item with maybe a side, served at your table just as with regular entrees. I don't think the steaks or even lobster is that much better quality than what you get as a regular menu item to pay the upcharge. But some surely will do this and I am sure carnival would be happy as they still upsell something and it frees up the steakhouse for full price reservations.

Now, maybe I read this wrong but I heard the steakhouse on the magic was only charging $20 for the steakhouse itself? Does anyone know if this is true or did I see that wrong? Because at $35 it might not be worth it but at $20 it surely would be. I am sailing on the magic from Galveston in a few weeks and was just wondering.

We are recently off the Miracle.

My 16 yr. old DD discovered steak this past year.

So after 11 cruises of nothing but Pizza, Pasta nad Burgers, was excited that she would be eating some of the better options.

She had the Fillet, I had the New York.

Hers was mushy and flavorless ( I tried it ). It was cooked medium rare as requested.

Mine was tough!! I asked for another steak knife. When I attempted to use it, he brought me a serrated knife.

The New York had little flaavor, and salt and pepper did not really bring out the steak flavor I was hoping for.

My wife has always refused us the Steakhouse, or any added cost food venue on our cruises.

Truly, the MDR is an upgrade from our daily home dining menu staples.

The Dad in me wanted to treat my sweet DD.

We did it. We tried it.

Never again.

To each their own, its about my children's allergies as well as we cannot trust what they are cooking in

We have severe food allergies and never had issues eating in port. We bring some pre packaged snacks off and have allergy alert cards. I make my own but you can order them online. selectwisely.com is one source.

No idea where you live but we lived thru the Los Angeles Malathion spraying in the early 90's. Hot summer, no air conditioning allowed (fans only). All because the Mediterranean Fruit Fly was introduced into our ecosystem. Never want to live thru that again nor inflict it on other people.

Edited by SadieN

I can understand why someone would want to pay for the upgrade in the MDR. My husband loves steak, so it would be worth it for him. However, I don't eat steak, so it wouldn't make sense for me to pay $35 for chicken, no matter how good the chicken is. This way, he can have his better steak without me having to pay for overpriced chicken. [emoji4]

Although I have to admit, if they made the steakhouse adults-only we might splurge for one night in order to have a nice, quiet dinner together. That would be worth the $35 pp extra fee.

You can book ahead of time for the steakhouse. Free bottle of wine included. It took me a long time to decide to spend extra money on dining but I think it's worth every penny. It's a really nice experience. And the tip is included in the $35 although some tip a few dollars extra if service was excellent.

And now I'm a Chef's Table fan also. And to me, that's worth every penny as well, especially if you like free-flowing champagne and wine. :D

Where have you seen that the tip is included? People on here say it is.

Hi All

I have done this on three occasions on one cruise. Yes I also have done the Steakhouse numerous times but hate the two hour plus dining time.

I love the filet and also have had the surf and turf they both were very good. Next cruise will try the lobster alone one night.

I was happy to see that this is offered as there are a few nights on the regular menu that I wind up with soup and appetizers only, so now I am pleased with the new offerings and yes they are just as good as in the Steakhouse.

Next cruise is the Sunshine and I think it still has the old menu so I know I will be ordering the $20 menu items at least twice.

pat

murrells inlet, sc

It depends. If you're set on steak, it's worth it, since (IMO, of course) the flat iron steak that is on the MDR menu should be considered dog food. Seriously, after getting it the last couple of times and having steak that was overcooked and super-tough and stringy, or tasted worse than an old, cheap Wal-Mart steak (I took only one bite of that one), I've sworn off of it. I'd rather get the Indian vegetarian entrée (which is really good, and different every night), the lamb shank, or even just get an assortment of soups and appetizers.

Now, if the choice is between getting the steak upgrade in the MDR or going to the steakhouse, I'd choose the steak house every time. You get a lot for the extra $15, like better appetizers (my faves are the French Onion Soup, which is SO much better than the MDR's, and the marinated portabello mushroom), better salads, amazing sides (wasabi mashed potatoes and creamed spinach, YUM!), bread that is to die for (rosemary focaccia!), and MASSIVE desserts.

Edited by ldlewis45

Love both the atmosphere and the food in the Steakhouse. Have never tried the $20 upgrade in the MDR, though I have been tempted a couple of times when there was nothing appealing on the menu. I've usually ended up just eating an extra piece of bread and appetizer on those nights.

It is so true food is subjective. First off let me say all of this is my opinion nothing more nothing less.

The $20.00 upgrade is worth trying at least once just to see if it is worth it for you.

We have eaten in the steakhouse five times and all five times it has been well worth it, especially on the first night. We usually upgrade from the free wine. You can order any wine the first night at 50% off.

One night I wanted surf and turf in the MDR. I ordered the flat iron steak and then paid $20.00 for the lobster. It was two tails, sweet and tasty, cooked perfectly.

I love beef and I have eaten in many fine steakhouses and yes I like the flat iron steak.

See, food is subjective, much like art.

agree with it being tacky. not only that, thats one of the fun parts about visiting different countries. experiencing their foods and flavors!

Before passing judgement...

I always loved sampling the food in the various countries along our itinerary.

Now, like so many Americans today, I am living with a life-threatening food allergy.

I dare not risk eating food in a less developed country (it's tricky enough here in the states) as it's simply not worth the risk getting sick.

Sure, I carry my liquid Benadryl and my Epi-pens, but anytime you use your Epi-pen means a trip to the emergency room because often additional treatment is required. Epi-pens alone don't take care of all symptoms all the time. Prefer to avoid foreign hospitals if possible.

Sure some avoid eating in port due to honest budget constraints or (dare I say it) out of plain cheapness, but not everyone.

I really miss eating in port--especially when I'm nibbling on my prepackaged snacks while my companions are chowing down a delicious Mexican feast in Cozumel!:(

I've often been tempted to try the meat upgrade, but I never have. I've always found something on the menu that I could eat without spending the $20. I'm one of those who come back to the ship for lunch before the buffet closes, too. Call me cheap or call me frugal, I don't like to pay again for my dinner.

We ate in a specialty (French) venue as guests of another couple one time on an NCL cruise. Never on Carnival, never on Royal Caribbean. I'm thinking that I may try the Steakhouse on my upcoming b3b on Carnival in November and on RCCL in Feb.

I was impressed that time on NCL, especially the French Onion Soup. It's a favorite of mine. Hearing you folks talk about the appetizers, the deserts and the huge lobster has my mouth watering. I have read that Carnival has the best steakhouse and the free wine on the first night has my "Spidy-bargain sense" tingling.

I'll be sure to post how it was when I get back. Oh, we'll be on the Carnival Freedom Nov 28 for 3 weeks. Any tips? I heard on another thread that one line even has up- charge meat cuts in the Specialty venues. Is that Carnival?