Lanzarote Rumination

rubinstein2r

We are on the Constellation TA in November and have made decisions on what to do in all ports except this one. Independent tours in Italy and Morocco, ship excursions in Cartagena and Tenerife but we are just underwhelmed so far by what we have seen about this port. Suggestions please?

Lanzarote has a very different volcanic landscape to the other places you are visiting. Maybe hire a car and drive around the island? You could visit the wine growing area of La Geriatric, Jameos del Agua, El Golfo, El Mirador, village of Yaiza, nice fish lunch.

The house of Cesar Enrique is interesting, visit Las Cuevas Verdes. Time days ( Fire Mountain) etc, etc.

There is plenty to keep you occupied for a day. Read Tripadvisor and do some Google searches.

Independent tours in Italy and Morocco, ship excursions in Cartagena and Tenerife but we are just underwhelmed so far by what we have seen about this port.
I know what you mean, we were not expecting anything special the first time, either. But I think you will be pleasantly surprised, it's a pretty interesting place. Your ship probably offers a full-day highlights tour that includes Jameos del Agua, Mirador del Río, a drive through Timanfaya Park, and a couple of stops for shopping, wine tasting, lunch. I would recommend that for a first-timer, because you would have a hard time squeezing that much into one day independently.

We went back to Lanzarote for a two week break earlier this year, our first return visit for 20 years. Shows you should never go back!

On re-visiting some of the main tourist sites we were stunned by the sheer number of tourists queuing to gain entrance, whereas in the past you could simply stroll in.

Fortunately you are going in November, which is not perhaps as busy as the summer, although the Canaries are a year round destination.

Unless you are hell-bent on seeing all the tourist sites, I would suggest hiring a car, and driving directly to Timanfaya and take a camel ride up Fire Mountain. I know it's touristy, but you don't get many chances in life to ride a camel. By getting there early you might avoid some of the worst of the queues.[see Trip Advisor for reviews].

After that, drive to Playa Blanca in the south of the island. You'll find a nice promenade to stroll along, plus lots of bars, restaurants etc for a cold cerveza or two. You'll also find various shops selling perfume, sunglasses etc.

It will then take you less than an hour to drive back to Arrecife.