Free Internet and your laptop!

septrack

Thanks for your response.I too don't understand why Princess would care that you use your own equiptment. Seems it would reduce wear and tear on theirs. Oh well, its still the best frequent cruise benefit going...given what other lines charge for internet access. I just about fell over on our Celebrity Mercury Alaska cruise this summer. 75 cents per minute for extremely slow service.

The major issue is bandwidth. Satellite internet service has limitations, especially with uploads (sending pictures, etc.). The internet cafe doesn't allow this so it's not much of a drain on the capacity of the ship's satellite connection. Once you connect with a laptop you are no longer restricted. You can send emails with attached photos, documents, etc., which can slow the connection speed considerably.

I usually check emails at the internet cafe but if I need to send a pic or doc will use the laptop. Just make sure you compose your emails offline first. :)

Does anyone know what the cost/minute is to use the internet on Princess?

We are pulling our 13 yr old out for 1 week and we will have to log in to his school to check assignments. Since we booked on board, and when we booked with our TA there was shipboard credit we have some $$$ in order to further our son's education :) .

Assuming that you're paying for the access - I have read that there's a benefit in bringing you own notebook PC if it's a fast current generation machine. Some posters here have advised that the PC's in the Internet cafe on board some Princess ships are older PC's that are slow and often require rebooting. I'm not referring to the connection speed which in relative terms is slow for everyone but rather - to the PC's themselves.

Does anyone know what the cost/minute is to use the internet on Princess?

We are pulling our 13 yr old out for 1 week and we will have to log in to his school to check assignments. Since we booked on board, and when we booked with our TA there was shipboard credit we have some $$$ in order to further our son's education :) .

Calliecat- the computers are so slow...... once you do get a connection, you see the dollars add up real fast.Be careful, I brought my lap top also, but like the other person said, you have to buy an access card to be able to use it in the atrium.

Enjoy

WE are from Missouri originally.

;)

CallieCat: We were on the CB a few weeks ago. The cost for internet was 35 cents per minute. I would rate the speed of the connection as better than dial-up, but much slower than DSL.

At most ports there are internet cafes within walking distance of the ship. Those usually have DSL and much better prices.

Archived