Cruise points (converted from old system) question

I know in Jan 2011 they changed how they figure cruise points (started giving 1 cruise point per night sailed - or double if in a suite and they automatically converted them to the new system). In any event, all my cruises with RCI were before 2011 and all three of them were 7 night sailings (non-suite cabin). So, wouldn't it then be 21 cruise points (per passenger)? Oddly, it shows me as having 22 cruise points. I'm not complaining if I got an "extra" point somehow, but every time I look at it I wonder how that could have happened. What am I missing?

I know in Jan 2011 they changed how they figure cruise points (started giving 1 cruise point per night sailed - or double if in a suite and they automatically converted them to the new system). In any event, all my cruises with RCI were before 2011 and all three of them were 7 night sailings (non-suite cabin). So, wouldn't it then be 21 cruise points (per passenger)? Oddly, it shows me as having 22 cruise points. I'm not complaining if I got an "extra" point somehow, but every time I look at it I wonder how that could have happened. What am I missing?

They did not use length of previous cruises for the conversion. All they did was multiply cruise credits by 7 and add a fudge factor, which in your case was 1.

Here is the formula they used:

Conversion from old cruise credits to cruise points:

If credits were 1-4, points = credits * 7 + 1

If credits were 5-7, points = credits * 7 + 3

If credits were > 7, points = credits * 7 + 13

Edited by clarea

Ah ha ... I did not know about the "fudge factor." That would explain it then. Thanks. Like I said, it's not a big deal -- it would just sort of drive me crazy when I would do what I thought was the math. :-) Thanks.

That was the conversion that they decided to use. For folks who had gotten their points with short 3 or 4 night cruises, they got a lot more nights in the conversion than they had actually sailed. If you had done it with 9 night cruises you would be coming up short. I too had one more point than nights I had actually sailed as I had all 7 night cruises.

Yep, we did one 7-night cruise on RCCL in a GS back in 2007 and we have 15 points. I guess that was calculated as 2 * 7 + 1? We'll get 14 for our upcoming cruise (7 nights in an OS), which puts us ONE POINT short of Platinum! :(

Here I was thinking that they actually went back and used the number of nights you sailed. I had 4 cruise credits when the conversion happened. I had done three 7 nighters and one 8 nighter. The conversion gave me 29 points (4x7+1), but I always thought I had 29 from 7+7+7+8. Learn something new everyday!

Ah ha ... I did not know about the "fudge factor." That would explain it then. Thanks. Like I said, it's not a big deal -- it would just sort of drive me crazy when I would do what I thought was the math. :-) Thanks.

Bob accurately described it as fudge factor, though the formula they used might have been closer to the formula for CocaCola. They knew back then when they made the conversion that not everyone would be happy. The conversion put me to Platinum one cruise earlier than it would have by the new system, but 4 years later, it let me one point shy of Diamond after 10 cruises which was the old method. So they got it back ;)

The people who probably made out are the ones that have done the 3 day on Majesty 50 times. (ducking and running)

I have two cruises before the conversion.....a 12 night with 2 points and an 8 night with 1point. Is this correct?

My cruises after the conversion are showing as 1 point per night.

Thanks.

Yes, that is correct. Cruises taken before Jan 2011 show the value in "Cruise Credits" and those taken after Jan 2011 show the value in "Cruise Points". The website display does not clearly show the units being used.

We got screwed in the conversion as we had all 7 & 9 night cruises. We are currently 1 point shy of Platinum. On other lines, if you change status due to the cruise you are on, they move you to the next level for the entire cruise. Does RCCL do this? My documents currently say Gold. I didn't really notice much difference in the perks so is it really worth worrying about?

I have two cruises before the conversion.....a 12 night with 2 points and an 8 night with 1point. Is this correct?

My cruises after the conversion are showing as 1 point per night.

Thanks.

Back then a 12 night cruise earned you 2 cruise credits and 11 nights or less earned you 1 cruise credit. Your 2 cruises earned you 3 cruise credits back then which is correct.

When the conversion was done your new total was 22 points (3 credits x7 nights +1 fudge factor =22). Now you are earning 1 point per night and that doubles if in a JS or higher cabin.

We got screwed in the conversion as we had all 7 & 9 night cruises. We are currently 1 point shy of Platinum. On other lines, if you change status due to the cruise you are on, they move you to the next level for the entire cruise. Does RCCL do this? My documents currently say Gold. I didn't really notice much difference in the perks so is it really worth worrying about?

Points are earned upon completion of a cruise so your C&A level will not change until you have completed your cruise and will be reflected on your next cruise.

So we know what the new levels are, but what were they before the conversion, back when cruises less than 12 nights gave you 1 point? I got 2 points for 7 nights in a GS, which today would give me 14 points, so 2 of these cruises would give me just short of Platinum. Was that the same on the old system?

So we know what the new levels are, but what were they before the conversion, back when cruises less than 12 nights gave you 1 point? I got 2 points for 7 nights in a GS, which today would give me 14 points, so 2 of these cruises would give me just short of Platinum. Was that the same on the old system?

Gold: 1-4 credits

Platinum: 5-9 credits

Diamond: 10-23 credits

Diamond Plus: 24+ credits

Before it was

1 credit for completing a cruise of any length

1 credit for cruises of 12+ nights or longer. (effective 1/1/2003)

1 credit for being being booked in a JS or above (effective 1/1/2004)

The max number of cruise credits that you could earn on a cruise was 3.

Edited by cruisenfever