No Tracey Arm

gooch47

We found the company right after and the seats were filled. However, we heard later that some people who booked did not show. Do you know anything about that? I was bummed, since this was the 2nd time we missed Tracey Arm, the first was weather related.

Currently on the Ruby. Yes, we missed Tracey Arm and we also were signed up for the small craft excursion. Disappointed, yes. So as soon as I had cell coverage going into Juneau I did a Google search for Tracey Arm excursions and came up with the company that Princess uses for their excursion. Called and left a message to call me (it was just a little after 7 am). Got a call back about 8 am, found out that there was an excursion leaving at 10:30 am and back at 5:30 pm and they had 4 seats available. Great, booked it and gave my cc number. Great excursion, saw whales on the way out, saw the glaciers up close and personal and saw a few more whales on the way back. Highly recommend Allen Excursions if you are ever in Juneau.

BTW, and not sure about the accuracy here, but, we spoke to a lady who seemed to be informed about the medical emergency that caused us to miss Tracey Arm. Apparently it was a young man who came aboard with an abdominal pain and it latter developed into an acute appendicitis issue. Tough deal for him, and, even a tougher deal for all of the rest of the passengers. Hey folks, if you have pains, have them checked out before boarding. Everyone else will appreciate it even if you never hear it. Plus, it might save you a lot of problems and maybe even your life. :cool:

On our recent Japan cruise, we arrived in Maizuru a couple of hours late due to a helicopter evacuation. Most excursions were shortened, but "Kyoto on Your Own" was totally cancelled. Fortunately for us, we'd already planned an additional few days in Kyoto post-cruise, but it caused a lot of grief for pax for whom that one day in Kyoto was expected to be the highlight of the cruise.

There was a way to go by train and spend a few hours there, but we chose to spend the afternoon in nearby Amanohashidate instead (and it was one of the highlights of the cruise). Not the same as spending a sea day instead of seeing Tracy Arm, but they both bring up a point: if there's someplace you absolutely, positively have to visit, a cruise may well not be the best way to do it. Granted, things can go awry whenever you travel, but on a ship there are just a lot of factors beyond one's control or remedy. You can't just rearrange your schedule and say, "I'll rearrange my schedule and go to Kyoto tomorrow instead."

Edited by shepp

We found the company right after and the seats were filled. However, we heard later that some people who booked did not show. Do you know anything about that? I was bummed, since this was the 2nd time we missed Tracey Arm, the first was weather related.

It's too bad you didn't look further, a superior tour is with Adventure Bound, who your new port time, looks to have had time for.