Freedom of the seas 8/30/15

Hi. This will be my first time cruising! I leave in 4 hours for port Canaveral and am super excited. I'll be on the road for the next two days, so I was wondering if anybody else is going or has some advice or tips for this cruise. Like I said I've never been on a cruise, this is pretty much my first ADULT vacation. I'm 26, male and will be cruising with my mom (cruise is my birthday gift!)

I'm planning on buying the top alcohol package that includes everything. I have a couple of questions as well. Sorry if these questions seem silly:

1. Who at all do I tip?

2. What can I expect to pay in gratuities the last day?

3. Do I tip if I have the alcohol package?

4. Do I tip at sabor? I'm planning a lunch there.

5. If I order something that is over the price limit for a drink with the alcohol package, does the server/ bartender alert you?

6. I would really like to just pay in cash. How would that work? I don't necessarily like using my credit cards. Mainly because I'm 26 and my 4 credit cards have all less than 500 credit limits. I'm going to carrying about 1800 in cash on the boat. Can I just put that on my on board expense account? Or should I register a card and just pay if off in cash? I hope someone can relate and understands this question. Or should I deposit the cash into my debit card? And use the debit card as my payment (rather than one credit card with only a 500$ limit?)

A rather silly question: how much weight should I expect to gain? I'm a BIGG eater!! I love to eat!

Since this is my first cruise I would like to sit alone with my mom at dinner. How likely is that if we didn't request this ahead of time?

I'm sure I'll think of tons more questions soon but if you can answer please do!

1. Who at all do I tip? Anyone you feel like

2. What can I expect to pay in gratuities the last day? $90

3. Do I tip if I have the alcohol package? No, already included

4. Do I tip at sabor? I'm planning a lunch there. If you feel like it

5. If I order something that is over the price limit for a drink with the alcohol package, does the server/ bartender alert you? They may - you should ask

6. I would really like to just pay in cash. How would that work? I don't necessarily like using my credit cards. Mainly because I'm 26 and my 4 credit cards have all less than 500 credit limits. I'm going to carrying about 1800 in cash on the boat. Can I just put that on my on board expense account? Or should I register a card and just pay if off in cash? I hope someone can relate and understands this question. Or should I deposit the cash into my debit card? And use the debit card as my payment (rather than one credit card with only a 500$ limit?) Not a good idea to advertise carrying that much cash on any public forum. You'll need to decide how you will pay at check in - they will ask for a card but the final bill can be settled in cash

A rather silly question: how much weight should I expect to gain? I'm a BIGG eater!! I love to eat! It depends on your metabolism and how much you eat

Since this is my first cruise I would like to sit alone with my mom at dinner. How likely is that if we didn't request this ahead of time? Go to the MDR on the first day and ask to be seated at a table for two. Less likely at the early sitting, more likely at late sitting or with MTD.

A bit late to be asking these questions but see answers above. If you have time you can scour the roll call thread for this sailing for excusrion ideas and other things folks have already arranged.

Also, be prepared for a diversion if Erika becomes a strong storm.

Edited by Biker19

Thank you for your quick response! Sorry for the over share with money it's just my main concern! I intend to buy the top liquor pkg but knowing my credit card has only 500 tops it worries me. I would just rather pay it off in cash since I have it on me. The main reason I ask is because I want to know if I can just walk up with cash and pay for the pkg.

The main question I am asking:

I have a credit card that I used for my on board expense account.

It has about $500 limit on it

I don't know how much of a hold they put on credit cards but I imagine it's at or around $500.

I have 4 credit cards and the maximum limit on all four is $500 (shoddy credit, hey! I'm only 26 I'm working on it!)

so I just used one, since they didn't have an option for registering multiple cards.

I have about 1800 in cash I'm bringing on the ship however. Since I understand the ship uses a cashless system, how can this work? If possible I would rather hand them my cash and use that as my payment. Is this possible? Even though I registered my card for payment? I'm sorry I've just never been on a cruise. I understand a lot of you know the system, I just don't.

Edited by Leonardtaylor

You can set up cash as a payment system as well as a card (either credit or debit) at check in. Once on board, you can deposit as much of your cash as you want onto your seapass card.

You should keep checking the RCI site for messages about your sailing - it may be affected by the coming storm.

I would open the account with your credit card, once onboard, deposit at least the cost of the drinks package and daily tips to your account at the customer service desk. For anything else you spend, you can either add more cash during the week,or let the credit card take care of the balance. I would not recommend using a debit card

For what its worth ,as a 250lb man I gained 13 pounds on my first cruise. By my third cruise I found i could maintain my weight and still have a good time. The hardest part was the airport travel days. Walking the stairs and the pool deck in the morning helps.

Thank you for your quick response! Sorry for the over share with money it's just my main concern! I intend to buy the top liquor pkg but knowing my credit card has only 500 tops it worries me. I would just rather pay it off in cash since I have it on me. The main reason I ask is because I want to know if I can just walk up with cash and pay for the pkg.

Set up the cash account and give them the amount for your drink package and tips up front. Then check your charges every other day and see what else you might have charged and then pay it off as needed. Don't just hand them all your cash... you have a safe in your room.

Other things you might be charged for would be shopping on board, excursions booked, things at Coco Cay or Labadee like snorkel gear or a floating mat.... otherwise your drink package will be the big ticket item.

Have a great cruise! Enjoy!