Just Booked Our First NCL Cruise on the Getaway, Got a Couple Questions

PaulInPGH

I just landed a new job, so as a reward to myself, I just booked a last-minute cruise for my wife and I on the Getaway! This will be our first cruise on NCL and we're very excited to try something new. Plus, the price was fantastic and the free ultimate drink package was a huge bonus.

Our two previous cruises were on RCI (Independence and Serenade). I would love to hear from you frequent NCL cruisers about what we might expect in terms of differences, any hints or suggestions for Getaway, etc. I also have a couple more specific questions.

I've read that booking dinner and show reservations is suggested for the Getaway. Is that necessary, or would we be able to make our choices for when/where we eat once we're on the ship? If we should book ahead of time, are the menus for the various restaurants available online? I ask because I'm kind of a picky eater and I'd rather know what I'm in for before booking a for-fee restaurant.

We have an earlier flight home (11:15), so I'm trying to figure out the best way to get from the port back to the airport. Should we book a shuttle or would cabs be available? Along those same lines, RCI offers an early disembarkation option where you take your own luggage off the ship. Is something similar available on the Getaway? I want to be sure we don't miss our 11:15 flight.

Again, any tips or suggestions are highly appreciated, especially as I don't have our usual several months of available planning time for this trip.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers.~

I just landed a new job, so as a reward to myself, I just booked a last-minute cruise for my wife and I on the Getaway! This will be our first cruise on NCL and we're very excited to try something new. Plus, the price was fantastic and the free ultimate drink package was a huge bonus.

Our two previous cruises were on RCI (Independence and Serenade). I would love to hear from you frequent NCL cruisers about what we might expect in terms of differences, any hints or suggestions for Getaway, etc. I also have a couple more specific questions.

I've read that booking dinner and show reservations is suggested for the Getaway. Is that necessary, or would we be able to make our choices for when/where we eat once we're on the ship? If we should book ahead of time, are the menus for the various restaurants available online? I ask because I'm kind of a picky eater and I'd rather know what I'm in for before booking a for-fee restaurant.

We have an earlier flight home (11:15), so I'm trying to figure out the best way to get from the port back to the airport. Should we book a shuttle or would cabs be available? Along those same lines, RCI offers an early disembarkation option where you take your own luggage off the ship. Is something similar available on the Getaway? I want to be sure we don't miss our 11:15 flight.

Again, any tips or suggestions are highly appreciated, especially as I don't have our usual several months of available planning time for this trip.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers.~

Congratulations on your new job! I'm sure you will love your cruise. I have never been on RCL so I'll just tell you why I love cruising NCL.

I really enjoy the freestyle cruisiing, don't want to get dressed up on vacation if I don't have to. I also find the staff, especially the bar staff, to be friendly & very good at their jobs. I know that NCL does have the walk off option so I don't see getting off on time a problem. I have googled "NCL Breakway menus" and found a website (beyondships) that showed the menus; I also know there are others on here more experienced than me that can provide the actual links.

Have a great time on your cruise! :D

If you want to eat in Le Bistro then make your reservation now. It's a good restaurant and the times fill up early. Only problem is that deck is very smokey and the smells can drift into many parts of that restaurant.

You can get into many of the shows without a reservation if you go to the late show (the exception is the comedy shows- if they're good they can fill up). It's hard to know which comedy shows to reserve since some are repeats and some are not. Just go to the ticket office and book those once you get onboard.

We didn't care for the Illusionarium but if you do decide to go be sure you get a center front seat. You miss most of the magic from the sides.

The fireworks were great fun - just go to the highest spot on the ship to watch. No need to crowd into Spice H2O.

Don't miss the dance show! We usually try to go twice. We also loved Legally Blonde.

We were on the Getaway in February, sailing on her again next month.

We used the self disembark option just walked off the ship early in the morning, had to wait about five minutes for a elevator.

Advice, take a cab, don't elect the van sharing ride, we did and we were squeezed into the very back of a 10 passenger van, had to climb over everybody to get a seat. Our luggage was thrown in a trailer on the back of the van, and I had to keep getting off and making sure that someone wasn't walking off with our luggage as they were dropped off at their gates.

Our favorite free dining room was the Tropicana, live Latin music, dancing, including free dance lessons by the Burn the Floor Cast and some fun parades with the staff

The box office is open on the ship and you can always pickup or exchange tickets, always plenty of seats available

Thanks in advance!

Cheers.~

We were just on the Getaway earlier this month...she's a beautiful ship and I'm sure you'll enjoy her!!!

If you are doing any of the specialty restaurants then you for sure want to make your reservations ahead of time on ncl.com. Also, if you'd like to see the larger shows like Legally Blonde and Burn the Floor they also advise having reservations for those as well. When we sailed we booked all of our dinning and show reservations ahead of time. When we boarded and I realized that we needed to change the time of one of our reservations for Cagney's (steak house) we found they couldn't accommodate the change. Better to be safe than sorry...if you're dinning strictly in the regular dinning rooms you should be fine not having reservations. Just remember that some times are busier than others and you might have to wait a bit for a table.

Cabs are plentiful as soon as you walk out of the port. The began letting people walk off with their own luggage at 7:30 and we were through customs and in a cabin within 20 minutes...easy breezy :)

If you are someone who enjoys the spa think about booking the thermal suite online before you sail. You save $20 by booking ahead of time and the spa on Getaway is amazing!!!!

Good luck and enjoy your cruise!

Thanks, this has all been great information.

I usually like to disconnect when I go on a cruise, but this time we'll be in the process of selling our house and will likely need at least a daily check of our email. Having never used the internet on a ship before, what would you suggest? We'll have our smart phones, so we'd likely just connect to the ship's wifi for whatever exceedingly-high price they might charge.

Cheers.

This thread should help. The Week at a Glance will help you with show times so you can arrange show times.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2228737

This post was most helpful for us when we sailed in May. Pretty much has everything. Easy to skip through by following the photos.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2171334&page=5

Page 11 has Le Bistro menu. That's as far as I got. The food was very good there. We also ate at La Cuchina and we really enjoyed it but have seen reviews that said to skip it.

On sea days they have a lobster roll outside at Ocean Blue that was good but cost $11.

We really enjoyed the Getaway and the drink package was a plus. There are many complaints about the pool area being to small but we spend very little time in the sun. The spa area was great but cost extra. The rope course was fun but did not walk out on the Plank.

We have sailed RCI many times but have to give a thumbs up to the Getaway. Would definitely sailed this ship again.

If interested, there is a new dining plan (hope it's the latest):

http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/pressroom/pressRelease.html?storyCode=PR_061115

We used self-assist and took a cab. No problems.

I would make reservations to be on the safe side. You can always cancel or maybe change. Less to do while on vacation.

Edited by destiny217

Having sailed both NCL and RRCL you will find more similarities than differences. Here are some that I notice.

More specialty options on NCL if you can not get your preferred dinning times now, take a list and book as soon as you board they have tables set up to take reservations.

I have found the MDR on NCL offers fewer food choices than RCCL so you might want a couple of specialties.

You can prebook all your entertainment also. Doing so allows you go into the theater earlier than those without reservations. I am pretty sure you can still get in but reservations give you a chance at better seats.

There is no formal dress up night so you have to pick that yourself or not do it. I have found NCL enforces the dress code more than Rccl does. Men need long pants for dinner.

I have found Spice H2o the adult area to be more crowded, busy and loud than the solarium on Rccl. If you want a solarium experience you will need to get spa passes 199 each for the week on ship or 179 each online before your cruise.

We saw Legally blonde as a matinee on Getaway and loved doing it that way it freed up one of evenings to have a longer dinner and then go to Howl at the moon. We love Howl at the moon and comedy club available on Getaway. I am pretty sure we never had reservations we just went and enjoyed it.

Yes you can self disembark earlier and carry off your own luggage I wouldn't do it any other way.

Here are the menus for all the restaurants on Getaway:

http://www.beyondships2.com/norwegian-getaway-menus.html

I'm not sure what you mean by saying you are a picky eater - there are so many possibilities, but I can tell you that if you like Sashimi preparations, the Raw Bar is AMAZING! I would have just planned to have dinner there one night had I know how absolutely great it was rather than just Hors d'ouerve's before going to Ocean Blue. The sushi bar is really good, too. We also enjoyed Le Bistro and Moderno and I believe the Cagney's on this ship is the best in the whole fleet.

The spa is fabulous and was our major hang-out location on the ship - we avoid sun, so it was ideal with panoramic window across the front of the ship and that fabulous water circuit and thermal rooms.

I forgot to go to the Waterfront to get the lobster roll from Ocean Blue during the day at lunch - it is supposed to be divine. We also never made it to the Flamingo Grill which is open for breakfast and lunch - it serves Cuban food and people love that place!

Carlo's bake shop is also very good - my husband had 2 different b-day cakes from there. The chocolate mousse cake and some other chocolate cake he liked even more!

If you are going to Tortola, definitely take the excursion to The Baths on Virgin Gorda - it is the BEST excursion I've ever done in the Caribbean. Just be sure to take anti-seasickness meds that morning before boarding the ferry as it can be a rough ride over.

Getaway is an amazing ship! Live it up and congratulations on your new job!

Here are the menus for all the restaurants on Getaway:

http://www.beyondships2.com/norwegian-getaway-menus.html

I'm not sure what you mean by saying you are a picky eater - there are so many possibilities, but I can tell you that if you like Sashimi preparations, the Raw Bar is AMAZING! I would have just planned to have dinner there one night had I know how absolutely great it was rather than just Hors d'ouerve's before going to Ocean Blue. The sushi bar is really good, too. We also enjoyed Le Bistro and Moderno and I believe the Cagney's on this ship is the best in the whole fleet.

The spa is fabulous and was our major hang-out location on the ship - we avoid sun, so it was ideal with panoramic window across the front of the ship and that fabulous water circuit and thermal rooms.

I forgot to go to the Waterfront to get the lobster roll from Ocean Blue during the day at lunch - it is supposed to be divine. We also never made it to the Flamingo Grill which is open for breakfast and lunch - it serves Cuban food and people love that place!

Carlo's bake shop is also very good - my husband had 2 different b-day cakes from there. The chocolate mousse cake and some other chocolate cake he liked even more!

If you are going to Tortola, definitely take the excursion to The Baths on Virgin Gorda - it is the BEST excursion I've ever done in the Caribbean. Just be sure to take anti-seasickness meds that morning before boarding the ferry as it can be a rough ride over.

Getaway is an amazing ship! Live it up and congratulations on your new job!

Thanks, this is all great info!

I'm definitely looking forward to the Flamingo Grill. I grew up in Miami and the Ft. Lauderdale area and I love Cuban food.

Cheers.

Thanks, this has all been great information.

I usually like to disconnect when I go on a cruise, but this time we'll be in the process of selling our house and will likely need at least a daily check of our email. Having never used the internet on a ship before, what would you suggest? We'll have our smart phones, so we'd likely just connect to the ship's wifi for whatever exceedingly-high price they might charge.

Cheers.

You can buy time for your phone, but It may be better to use the "internet cafe" desk tops on deck 6?? near customer service I would hate to read a house contract on my phone.....

You can buy time for your phone, but It may be better to use the "internet cafe" desk tops on deck 6?? near customer service I would hate to read a house contract on my phone.....

Excellent point, thanks. With any luck this house will be sold by the time we leave. Then I won't have to worry about this stuff, and I'll have a little extra spending money for the trip:)

Cheers.