Room bar setup

Luckynana

...None of this means that X shouldn't be berated for charging extortionate prices for their drinks to make alcohol packages look like a better value. The drinks have to be expensive to make the package price look competitive.

The drink prices, including the stateroom bar setup, were just as expensive for years before they even introduced the drink packages. So they are not making these, nor individual drinks, expensive to make the packages look like a good value. That is just the price of drinks on the ship - plain and simple.

The high drink prices are just part of their business model and the profits are important to their bottom line. Just like a high price (compared to retail) for a bottle of wine or a cocktail is important to a nice restaurant. What their cost are is irrelevant as they price the items based on what drinks typically cost at other restaurants and resorts and comparable to other cruise lines (or perhaps a bit above). Their cost is probably far lower than the cost is to any land based restaurant or liquor store as they are buying in enormous quantities when you consider the volume of drinking on all the Celebrity and RCCL ships (I'm presuming they have a consolidated purchasing department).

Unfortunately, Celebrity does not run a retail package liquor store for on board consumption. You should expect to pay bar/restaurant/resort/cruise type prices for all extra cost beverages purchased on board from Water to Wine to Whisky. So if sailing Celebrity leave those thoughts of retail prices behind and you'll enjoy yourself a lot more.

I agree - we enjoy having the freedom to have a drink or 2 on the balcony and forget about the cost.

• 4 months later...
I just looked in my in-cabin amenities guide I scanned on my last cruise.

You can purchase on board, $79 or $99 depending on the brand of liquor.

18% gratuity will be added if bought on board, if you do it in advance, there is no gratuity.

On board it includes 1 bottle, 6 cans soda mixers, fruit and nut tray and choice of Vodka, Gin, Rum, Scotch and Bourbon.

Can you choose from other liquors besides the 5 listed above, such as the ones listed on the pre-cruise choices such as Brandy/Cognac?

Seems the analysis would be different depending on where you live and what kind of liquor you want. If I ordered a bar set-up it would be Bombay Sapphire. In NY a 1 liter bottle would cost between $38-$42. Add the cost of tonic and nuts and you're at about $45. If it costs $100 that's just above 2x retail. To me that doesn't seem unreasonable based on the typical mark-up of wine and spirits in any restaurant. If I was talking about a bottle I could buy for $15 of course that would be different.