One Suite or Two Insides-Family of 4

amandajean06

Hi all, I am hoping those of you with experience can help answer this question. We are trying to decide between one suite vs two inside cabins for our family of four. Myself, DH, and two kiddos, ages 3 and 1 on the Carnival Pride. What are your thoughts concerning space, cost, pros and cons? Thanks in advance!

With 1 exception, we have always gotten connecting rooms for our family of 4. Probably the biggest factor for us has been having 2 bathrooms, instead of 1. Of course, it's also really nice to be able to let the kids nap in their room without having to tiptoe around while they sleep. The one time we did get a bigger room for all 4 of us, it felt like we had no storage space. Felt like we were tripping over things constantly because trying to store 4 people's stuff for a week in 1 cabin was tough. I can say that I've always priced it both ways, and more often than not, it ends up being cheaper to get the 2 rooms than 1 larger room.

Our kids are 7 and 2 and we are doing a balcony cabin on the magic.

It was definitely cheaper than a suite or two insides. We have the balcony to relax if the two year old needs a nap and they aren't too big where their bodies and clothes are taking up a lot of space.

we wouldn't do insides with 2 kids, I'd do one balcony.

Reason is they will need naps and bedtime. The balcony or second room is great for this.

I don't know if four fit in a suite? If they do, then suite ONLY if it's a balcony suite, the ones we looked at where ocean view. I'm too spoiled to do ocean view or inside.

Edited by Gardeneroflove

We've always put all of us (4) in one cabin. Our kids are now 14 and 9. Mostly balconies, and some outside cabins. We've never missed a second bathroom. We're just very cozy for the week - but that's what our family vacation is all about!

The cruise isn't sold out, I was just thinking a suite would offer more room vs a regular balcony room. We definitely want to have a private place while kids nap, which is why we thought either a second interior room for the adults, or just use the balcony, as some have mentioned.

Hi all, I am hoping those of you with experience can help answer this question. We are trying to decide between one suite vs two inside cabins for our family of four. Myself, DH, and two kiddos, ages 3 and 1 on the Carnival Pride. What are your thoughts concerning space, cost, pros and cons? Thanks in advance!

With children that age, I would not book 2 cabins unless one adult was in each cabin at night... which removes most of the benefits IMHO. I might consider it with connecting inside cabins, but I don't think I've ever seen that on Carnival. They have a minuscule number of inside cabins that connect to balconies, but those seem to get booked very early on (or at least they are unavailable by the time I look.)

We tend to book a balcony for the 'lower' sleeper sofa and additional floor space. One child will sleep on the couch/bed and the other on the floor. In your case you'll need a crib which would take a good percentage of the available floor space in an inside cabin (but is still workable.) As others have said, the balcony is useful with the kids are sleeping. Also, with most voyages on Carnival, the incremental cost for the 3rd and 4th passengers is small. For instance, the 3rd and 4th will cost you $179+TTL in an inside and $259+TTL for the balcony. The balcony upgrade for the kids is quite cheap. Not useful for the 1YO, but a 3YO will probably enjoy a balcony.

I managed to book a 9A demi-suite on Legend this summer. It was ~$400 above the cost of an extended balcony on the same deck, but as this was Alaska that was only about a 10% premium. Given the opportunity, I would certainly do that upgrade again. Upgrading to a full suite for several thousand $ more, I would not even consider. I'd prefer 2 cruises in steerage over one cruise in a suite. :D

I have done it both ways with my children when they were younger. I say go for the 2 insides if they connect for the two bathrooms and the extra storage space, unless a balcony is really important to you. If u are concerned about hearing the little ones at night then bring along a monitor and set it up in their room. I hope you have an amazing time!

we purchased two adjoining rooms with NO balconies as my husband didn't want our room to have one at all for fear of our toddler climbing over.

we will close their door at night while we are awake and then open it when we go to sleep. we will also have a video monitor in their room.

With children that age, I would not book 2 cabins unless one adult was in each cabin at night... which removes most of the benefits IMHO. I might consider it with connecting inside cabins, but I don't think I've ever seen that on Carnival. They have a minuscule number of inside cabins that connect to balconies, but those seem to get booked very early on (or at least they are unavailable by the time I look.)

We tend to book a balcony for the 'lower' sleeper sofa and additional floor space. One child will sleep on the couch/bed and the other on the floor. In your case you'll need a crib which would take a good percentage of the available floor space in an inside cabin (but is still workable.) As others have said, the balcony is useful with the kids are sleeping. Also, with most voyages on Carnival, the incremental cost for the 3rd and 4th passengers is small. For instance, the 3rd and 4th will cost you $179+TTL in an inside and $259+TTL for the balcony. The balcony upgrade for the kids is quite cheap. Not useful for the 1YO, but a 3YO will probably enjoy a balcony.

I managed to book a 9A demi-suite on Legend this summer. It was ~$400 above the cost of an extended balcony on the same deck, but as this was Alaska that was only about a 10% premium. Given the opportunity, I would certainly do that upgrade again. Upgrading to a full suite for several thousand $ more, I would not even consider. I'd prefer 2 cruises in steerage over one cruise in a suite. :D

The Spirit Class (Miracle, Spirit,Pride and Legend) has connecting balcony-inside cabins. All the way forward. IIRC there are four on each ship.

Personally, I'd get a quad balcony.

The Spirit Class (Miracle, Spirit,Pride and Legend) has connecting balcony-inside cabins. All the way forward. IIRC there are four on each ship.

Personally, I'd get a quad balcony.

Yep, that was my "They have a minuscule number of inside cabins that connect to balconies"... though I didn't realize it was only Spirit class. :D I have never seen a matching pair available, though I don't know if that is because Carnival holds them back or otherwise. Our kids are too small to be a in cabin by themselves, so we're doing the quad balcony for a while longer still.

Suites on Carnival give you virtually no perks, so I wouldn't book that unless it's a VERY good price...

With kids that small, 1 quad would probably be fine...but for privacy, I'd go with connecting cabins.

we enjoyed the additional space, bigger balcony and priority check-in. Plus, the service was great! idk is room service is as great for other rooms, it was better this trip than our first 3 with carnival.

Dh used the sitting/dressing area for his electronics/laptop and played there after kid went to bed. I just went to bed most nights. We paid for our suite about what we paid for RCL balcony, and I'm guessing less than our Disney Cruise. Since we were 'downgrading' cruise lines, we upgraded our room. Very happy.

My 3 year old likes space to run around in, the tub was an added bonus for bubble baths! On RCL we felt we had no space. Last week, we had more space than we used, the pull out couch could stay out, all the way, we still have room to walk, plus there was a table/chairs at the foot of our bed.

Mine has enjoyed the balcony at every age. she can get outside time, without me having to worry or deal with crowds/actually leave the cabin. (I'm the odd one who spends MORE time in the cabin, than on the rest of the ship. thus, i want my balcony).