Best and cheapest way to get from Portland to Freeport

OceanSea

We are going to be in Portland but want to go up to Freeport. What is the best way to get up there without spending a ton of money? Any tips would be appreciated. We don't really want to do a ship tour on this port.

We are going to be in Portland but want to go up to Freeport. What is the best way to get up there without spending a ton of money? Any tips would be appreciated. We don't really want to do a ship tour on this port.

Portland Maine or Portland Oregon ? Makes a big difference.

Let's see - East coast board, no Freeports west of Texas, and Freeport ME is 20mins drive from Portland ME - contextually I'm 100% certain OP means Maine...

Amtrak Downeaster if the times work for you; local merchants association otherwise recommend taxi from Portland. Either way, if all you want to do is hit the outlet malls - for there are very, very few other reasons to visit Freeport in preference to staying in Portland - you're likely going to blow more on transport than you save at the malls in this day & age of online shopping... enjoy Portland instead and order Stuff when you're at home.

Kamloops, since the OP posted on the New England/Canada board it is a good assumption that she is asking about Maine.

OceanSea, what about renting a car? Before I decided to do something else, I had a rental car reserved from Enterprise for $42. They were open from 9am-12N so I was going to taxi back to the ship for $5. You can trice priceline for a cheap car.

A taxi from Portland to Freeport would be about $40 per person.

There was also a plan in 2014 to establish bus service for $3 each way from Portland to Freeport, but not sure if it has been started (maybe you can google information).

Edited by pizzalady1

Let's see - East coast board, no Freeports west of Texas, and Freeport ME is 20mins drive from Portland ME - contextually I'm 100% certain OP means Maine...

Amtrak Downeaster if the times work for you; local merchants association otherwise recommend taxi from Portland. Either way, if all you want to do is hit the outlet malls - for there are very, very few other reasons to visit Freeport in preference to staying in Portland - you're likely going to blow more on transport than you save at the malls in this day & age of online shopping... enjoy Portland instead and order Stuff when you're at home.

Not the outlet malls...want to visit the L.L.Bean home store. Thank you for your advice :)

I've bean to bean (groan...) and while the 'home store' is certainly pretty durn big, it's not worthy as a destination in and of itself - MEC, REI, Cabelas, even Bass Pro shops are better as they stock a variety of manufacturers. If you know you like Bean's products they have excellent return policies on mail order.

Portland ME for me was mostly about visiting friends, but we managed to go wandering downtown (nice historic buildings, especially around the Old Port) and sample a few brews (several local brewpubs). The local tourism site is a good place to start, have a browse and see what jumps out at you.

Cheapest way would be to rent a car and drive yourself.

I understand the LL Bean stores are a wonder all by themselves, but not to waste a valuable port day on them. Either rent a car and do a lighthouse tour, or drive to Kennebunkport which is a much nicer thing to do.

Bean has many outlets all over and a better mail order. Use that or buy local.

Cheers

Len