2-person sub 800-1000 ft down -- is it available?

campboo

We'll be stopping in GC on the RC Legend sailing Nov 26. I've read a bit about the deep ocean 2-Person sub excursion that goes down 800 to 1000 feet. I've heard that it is very pricey, but an awesome experence. Does anyone know if this adventure is currently available in Grand Cayman? Does anyone who has done it have anything to say about it? thanks.

there certainly was such an operation over 10 years ago. They actualy pre-dated the Atlantis operations that became so popular. I have no clue if they are still in operation - I don't recall seeing their tender or sub my last few visits to Cayman.

I looked into it when they first started - it was $200 per person :eek: but that included a t-shirt..... & was long ago....

I talked to a couple who went and they said it was GREAT

would you admit it was bad after dropping $400 plus tip :p

it was one mighty damn expensive t-shirt!

This page says Atlantis offers this dive http://www.caymanonline.com/info/watersports/submarine/index.shtml

but I don't see it on Atlantis own page http://www.atlantisadventures.com/destinations.php?site=5

but.... it is listed on DCL's list of shore excursions for GC

Atlantis Deep Explorer (1-1.5 hours)

Dive in a real submarine made for just two passengers. Both of you will take a boat from the George Town dock to a sophisticated deep-diving research submarine for your personal voyage under the sea to the Grand Cayman Wall - reaching depths of up to 800 feet! Guests will see fantastic underwater creatures that live far below the surface -it's an unforgettable adventure! The boat ride to the submarine is approximately 10 minutes.

Price: $345 (8 yrs & up)

and here it is too: http://caymanislandsdiscounts.com/AtlantisDeepDiveExcursion.htm

showing a price that exceeds DCL's ....and also says:

The Atlantis Deep Dive Submarine will be back in Operation mid June 2006

I guess it leaked :o

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the info, Capt_BJ. Apparently the 2-person bubble sub tour offered through RCCL and others is different than the 800-1000 ft. deep sub adventure that Atlantis used to offer (and presumably will again after June 2006). The current one goes down 60 ft. I'd love to hear from anyone who has done this tour -- is it worth the money ($200/person)? We aren't scuba divers so I'm thinking that this may be the only way we'll ever get down that deep. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

You have a couple of options......the Atlantis sub which holds 25 people is a great way to experience the famous Cayman wall. I believe it goes down to 100 ft (or more) and it's not too expensive. I've done it a few times, but not for several years. The two person bubble sub looks like great fun too - haven't done that. Be sure to check out the Cayman Activity Guide website (now advertisers on this message board). There is a ton of information on the Cayman Islands over there and discount coupons for all sorts of things, including both of these subs. In fact, there is a video of the bubble sub so you can really get an idea of what it would be like to take it. You don't need to book either one of these through the ship, of course.

Charlene

• 2 weeks later...

I just have to say, if you EVER get a chance to do the deep submarine...DO IT!! I didn't know it wasn't an option right now, and now I am very glad I had the chance to go.

We did the 1000 ft dive last year for our honeymoon, and it was the experience of a lifetime. Of course, we are very much "National Geographic" types and we love wildlife and oceanlife. Our sub driver was awesome. We saw so many things--the coolest deep sea animals that really resemble plants, coral of all types, fish, lobster, and even bioluminescent "splatter" on our window! I couldn't believe how dark it was down there!

Yes, its pricey. I think our trip was somewhere around $1000. But, its not like you can do this just anywhere. It is truly a once in a lifetime sort of thing. We didn't bat an eye at the price, and we are not rich by any means. If you can afford it, it is worth it IMHO.

We booked directly through RCCL, which only offered the 800 ft dive. We upgraded to the 1000 ft at the check-in desk, and purchased the DVD of our voyage.

• 2 weeks later...
We'll be stopping in GC on the RC Legend sailing Nov 26. I've read a bit about the deep ocean 2-Person sub excursion that goes down 800 to 1000 feet. I've heard that it is very pricey, but an awesome experence. Does anyone know if this adventure is currently available in Grand Cayman? Does anyone who has done it have anything to say about it? thanks.

Hi

Wow , you are the first person i have met on the board that is sailing with us on Novemebr 26th . We have 2 girls ages 4 , DH and I are in are mid thirtys and we are sailing with my parents . you are on the Legend of the seas correct ? We are in a JS AFT cabin , how about yourselves ? I also really wanted to do the sub but $800.00 for the 4 of us is a bit .

So glad that someone else from these boards will be on the same cruise as us. I was beginning to think that I'd missed a memo that said "avoid cruising the week after Thanksgiving" or some such nonsense. We are a couple in our mid-40's, no kids, no parents (but we like them, as long as they belong to someone else). We are going to splurge and do the bubble sub (which turns out to be different than the deep-diving sub, but supposedly thrilling enough to warrant the cost.) I can understand you not wanting to spend $800 on a 1-1/2 hr excursion; $400 for the two of us was hard enough to swallow. But we'll be glad to share our experience after we're back. We're also doing a stingray tour with Soto that afternoon. What are you going to do? Hope we meet up on the ship. So far there isn't a meet-and-mingle posted for our cruise.

We did that deep diving sub many years ago. It was very expensive, and we didn't think it was worth it, because it was so dark, we couldn't see anything except what was illuminated directly in front of the sub by the sub light. The one were were in would only hold four people total, including the sub driver, so it would only accommodate parties of three or less.

We've done the 100 foot dive and thought that was much better because you could really see a lot--there was still enough surface light to see well.

I actually live in Grand Cayman and am a submarine pilot for the Bubble Sub. I would definatly recommend booking a tour with us if you are interested in a beutiful underwater experience. Our submarine has a full 360 degree view around you and you will stay completly dry inside. I would recommend if you do book to bring a digital camera because you can play around with the pictures and find out which ones will come out best. I just did 4 dives today and saw a nice sea turtle and always hundreds of fish. We dive over a nice site off 7-mile beach called the Mesa, it goes down to 60 feet deep and there is plenty to see along the way. We even offer you the chance to pilot the submarine yourself.

For more info visit our website at www.bubblesub.com. Hope to see you in Grand Cayman and we would be more than happy to show you a wonderful and unique underwater experience ^_^

Archived