Repositioning Cruses

Can anyone tell me how a repositioning cruise is defined. I am confused as a certain cruise line is cruising from Vancouver to Hawaii and it is not classed as a repositioning cruise, however the next day it leaves for Sydney and it is a repositioning cruise. This has the effect of changing on-board perks and prices.:confused:

Can anyone tell me how a repositioning cruise is defined. I am confused as a certain cruise line is cruising from Vancouver to Hawaii and it is not classed as a repositioning cruise, however the next day it leaves for Sydney and it is a repositioning cruise. This has the effect of changing on-board perks and prices.:confused:

I've not noticed any line using the term or saying that prices and perks apply to "repositioning cruises" but oerhaps I've missed something. Prices and perks relate to supply and demand.

The reason they tend to be less is that the lines know there will be airfares the other way so they need o do something to attack passengers when the airfares will be substantial over such a long distance.

However to ME this is a repositioning cruise Van-Syd and being sold in two legs

Yes, there is definitely some different conditions for some things like drink packages for repositioning cruises. I would guess that the leg to Hawaii is considered to be still cruising to a USA destination, as it is.

I have seen some specials etc do not apply to repositioning also.

Basically the cruise line says what something is, and what the conditions are, and you can decide what you are keen to purchase. It would seem logical that Vancouver to Sydney at the end of a season would all be repositioning, but if they want to classify it another way, so be it.

I was looking at a cruise in mid 2017. It also goes from Vancouver to Hawaii, then suddenly appears in Sydney something like 17/18 days later. The Hawaii to Sydney leg has not been promulgated yet. I was hoping it would be a repositioning cruise but nothing as yet.

The perks are all on the 1st section ie USA. The exclusion of the second leg was in small print. When I questioned why it did not apply to the Hawaii to Sydney section I was informed It was a Transpacific repositioning cruise. So the term is still being used. So its a case of being very selective or go with the flow.