Callao port to Lima town

petlady7

Hi

We will be on the Star Princess this coming March and was wondering if anybody knew if Princess provide a shuttle bus from Callao port to Lima town , if so where from and to and how much per person please ??

We want to pick up a tour that only picks up from certain parts of Lima

Any info much appreciated

Princess ran a shuttle when we were on the Golden Princess last spring. As I recall there was no charge. It went from the port to a large shopping mall in Lima. The Callao port is industrial and very complicated and the area beyond the port gates is not somewhere you would want to wander. By the way, the traffic in Lima is terrible. Allow plenty of time for travel.

We're in Callao on the Ocean Princess next February and excursions have been posted. One is "Lima On Your Own" (CA2-185) which is basically bus transport to and from Lima with three round-trips offered, 9:30-3:30, 11:00-5:00 and 2:00-8:00. I don't know if you can mix and match times for longer or shorter stays in town. The one-way trip is 50 minutes according to the detailed itinerary in the tour description. Cost is $29.95 USD for adults and $19.95 for children. All this makes me doubt there will be a free shuttle in the coming year as it would compete with this excursion.

Here's the tour description we get:

Explore the modern Lima with this leisurely self guided excursion that begins at your pier. Here you will board an air-conditioned transportation and enjoy a 45-minute scenic transfer that takes you to the heart of Miraflores district in Lima.

Disembark at a central location that provides easy access to taxis, shopping and restaurants. Then set out on your own for several hours of free time to explore the many sights and delights of this fascinating city.

You may choose to shop at Larcomar where you will find the great designer and fine cafeterias. You may also walk to the Love Park, located on the cliffs of Miraflores, which has a spectacular view of Lima's Bay or walk around the Kennedy's Park or go to Barranco district, where Lima's bohemians usually gather.

Take time out from your day of exploration to indulge in a delicious meal at one of Lima's many fine restaurants. Or shop for souvenirs at the Indian Market. Pick up a weaving, a wood carving, or a stunning piece of gold or silver jewelry before returning to the pier.

Princess ran a shuttle when we were on the Golden Princess last spring. As I recall there was no charge. It went from the port to a large shopping mall in Lima. The Callao port is industrial and very complicated and the area beyond the port gates is not somewhere you would want to wander. By the way, the traffic in Lima is terrible. Allow plenty of time for travel.

Thank you very much for your reply , you wouldnt know what time they started running the shuttle buses do you on the second day ?

Two years ago we took this free shuttle and the shopping mall was Plaza San Miguel which is located between Callao and the Miraflores district of Lima. Suggest you check with your tour operator to see if Plaza San Miguel is one of his pick-up spots. Address (according to Google Maps) is: Av. la Marina 2000, San Miguel 15088, Peru.

Thank you everybody for your replies , our tour can pick us up at the JW Marriot hotel in Miraflores so the shuttle to the shopping mall sounds a good option , the only issue we may have then is that the shuttle buses would not start in time as we would need to be there about 9 am

Are you open to a private tour guide who can pick you up at the port itself?

The tour we want to book has quoted $64 extra to pick us up at the port so trying to find a cheaper alternative , a taxi doesnt seem too bad as long as we can get a reliable one as I hear that it can be a bit dodgy in that area , we can then maybe get the shuttle back as we need to be at the JW Marriott early in the morning

The tour we want to book has quoted $64 extra to pick us up at the port so trying to find a cheaper alternative , a taxi doesnt seem too bad as long as we can get a reliable one as I hear that it can be a bit dodgy in that area , we can then maybe get the shuttle back as we need to be at the JW Marriott early in the morning

The Star is scheduled to be in Callao at 8 AM on March 19th and stay until 6 PM on March 20th. Will you be taking this private tour on the 1st day or 2nd day?

If on the 1st day, make sure that your private tour in Lima will give you a full refund if the ship is unable to dock in time to make the tour. When we docked there we were five hours late due to fog at the port. Even if you do dock at 8 AM, I doubt you could be at your Lima meeting point by 9 AM.

Of course, if your tour is on the 2nd day, you would have no problem timewise in getting to your tour, but likely not on a Princess bus. But be sure you aim to be back at the ship no later than 4:30 PM just in case traffic gets in the way of a quick return.

Edited by caribill

The Star is scheduled to be in Callao at 8 AM on March 19th and stay until 6 PM on March 20th. Will you be taking this private tour on the 1st day or 2nd day?

If on the 1st day, make sure that your private tour in Lima will give you a full refund if the ship is unable to dock in time to make the tour. When we docked there we were five hours late due to fog at the port. Even if you do dock at 8 AM, I doubt you could be at your Lima meeting point by 9 AM.

Of course, if your tour is on the 2nd day, you would have no problem timewise in getting to your tour, but likely not on a Princess bus. But be sure you aim to be back at the ship no later than 4:30 PM just in case traffic gets in the way of a quick return.

Thank you Caribill , no this tour is on the second day so I figure I may need to get a taxi after allowing enough time to get the port shuttle to the gates as it sounds as if that can take up to an hour in itself according to other posts , we have a different tour booked for the first day but it has been arranged by somebody else on our roll call

Thank you Caribill , no this tour is on the second day so I figure I may need to get a taxi after allowing enough time to get the port shuttle to the gates as it sounds as if that can take up to an hour in itself according to other posts , we have a different tour booked for the first day but it has been arranged by somebody else on our roll call

Yes, it was very difficult getting a shuttle to the port gates. They were not organized at all. No one knew where to go to get the shuttle. Once we found the right place, the shuttles were trickling in. We saw some near fist fights between people waiting for shuttles. This was on day one. On day two, we took a half day Princess tour so we could shop at the Indian Market. That was much easier because you didn't have to navigate the port and they even stopped at a store on the way back so we could all buy wine.

Aaron Leyton does private tours and picks up at the port (just outside the gates). I can't say enough positive things about him. Here is my review and a few photos. Note that his tour concludes with a home cooked Peruvian meal. No other tour will do this!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=44260580&postcount=12

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=42288448#post42288448

Aaron Leyton does private tours and picks up at the port (just outside the gates). I can't say enough positive things about him. Here is my review and a few photos. Note that his tour concludes with a home cooked Peruvian meal. No other tour will do this!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=44260580&postcount=12

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=42288448#post42288448

Wow Vic! It sounds like we should have hung out with you guys that day, too. Hope you are doing well.