Martinique!!!

BunbunBoston

Help! we are cruising the Southern Carribean end of October on the Adventure!! Never been to Martinique, and am trying to find a good excursion. I usually look to Trip Advisor and have had wonderful luck booking great excursions. But looking today I noticed most are in French!! again Help!! we would like an island tour/seeing the high points (think Cosol in St. Lucia) Anyone out there have any recommendations??? any help would be great!! Thanks!

Help! we are cruising the Southern Carribean end of October on the Adventure!! Never been to Martinique, and am trying to find a good excursion. I usually look to Trip Advisor and have had wonderful luck booking great excursions. But looking today I noticed most are in French!! again Help!! we would like an island tour/seeing the high points (think Cosol in St. Lucia) Anyone out there have any recommendations??? any help would be great!! Thanks!

A couple of days ago same question was asked by another cruiser...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2254171

Here was my answer and a short photo review of the excursion I did. There's a few other ideas as well:

"Martinique i... very little info anywhere. I did a RCL excursion (rather than private) for this very reason. It was the St Pierre and Rum Distillery Tour. The rum is fantastic.. one of the best I've ever tried!"

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=45043099&highlight=martinique#post45043099

The last time we were in Martinique which was a number of years ago, the taxi driver whose English was severely limited, had a taped English version of the tour which he played as we reached different parts of the rain forest, the village of St. Pierre, that was destroyed when Mt. Pele erupted in 1902 etc.

A couple of days ago same question was asked by another cruiser...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2254171

Here was my answer and a short photo review of the excursion I did. There's a few other ideas as well:

"Martinique i... very little info anywhere. I did a RCL excursion (rather than private) for this very reason. It was the St Pierre and Rum Distillery Tour. The rum is fantastic.. one of the best I've ever tried!"

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=45043099&highlight=martinique#post45043099

When we went to Martinique we did the same ship tour to St. Pierre, Rum Factory and a visit to a replica of a famous catherdral in Paris. It was an excellent tour and we had a really good tour guide. I could find little on Martinique so we opted for the ship tour. I had read someone elses review which included Martinique and they described a copper steeple that you can see from the ship. Apparently this is in the center of town and the start of the shopping area. We did not go there but I am given to understand that this area is mostly french speaking and Euro for cash. Also the copper steepled church looked like it was in walking distance, if you are able to walk for say 20 minutes. We did shop around the pier and they spoke some english and took the dollar. So between the tour and pier shopping we had a nice day. Don't know anything about private tour guides on this island but I would expect they speak french and want to be paid in Euro's.

• 2 weeks later...

Hoopster95,

Thank you so much for your review of your tour!

Information on this port is so hard to come by. I am starting to think either people are staying on the ship or just not finding things to do that they found interesting enough to comment on. I appreciate you taking the time to do a review!

• 1 month later...
Hoopster95,

Thank you so much for your review of your tour!

Information on this port is so hard to come by. I am starting to think either people are staying on the ship or just not finding things to do that they found interesting enough to comment on. I appreciate you taking the time to do a review!

I have a stop next Feb - doesn't make me very excited. Rather get the feeling that it is a wasted day and it is unfortunate that it wasn't another port.

We'll be stopping at Martinique for the first time next month on the MSC Divina. I'd be happy just strolling around the town because after so many cruises we're pretty much excursioned-out. In any case we'll wait and see what the ship's tour desk will offer.

• 1 month later...

We stopped in Martinique about the 1st of Nov, but it was a national holiday an almost everything was closed. We just got off the ship and walked around a bit. We only saw a local horse-betting shop and a t-shirt store open, Everything else was closed up. I would like to go back because this stop seemed like a wasted day.

• 2 weeks later...