Anything to do around La Spezia?

tonkie

We are do to sail on The Allure later this month and have some excursions booked already, but we (DW) is undecided what to do when we get to La Spezia, a work colleague has just got back off the Anthem and they went to Florence and Pisa and on the return journey to the ship the coach trip was 3 hours and the ship had to wait for them.

As my DW is not the best at traveling via a coach and the possible 3 hours on it is really bugging her, were I'm all for going to Florence I don't want my wife to be under pressure to go.

So is there much around the area where The Allure docks, or is it she will have to grim and bear the coach?

Thanks in advance for any help

I second the private tour idea on this one. When booked through driver in rome and got a driver for the day in citeveccia and livorno. It was around $600 euro per day and the driver got us faster access to just about anything we wanted to see. We split it three ways with two other couples we met on cruise critic so it worked out very well. I do not recall it being 3 hours in the van. Maybe 3 hours round trip but not each way. He was better able to zoom in and out of traffic as well vs a tour bus so that could have contributed to it.

In Sept we did Public transportation to the Leaning tower and then went on to Florence, I would suggest not trying to do both! By the time we got to Florence I don't think we even had 30mins to look around! Not worth it IMO!

The family enjoyed climbing the tower, but I suggest buying tickets online before you go.

I have went to cinque Terre two times from port. The first with private tour joe bananas limos and the second with 8 of us set up on our roll call through italytoursharing.com. I absolutely love it there!! Can't wait to go back. If u use a private tour, u get there quicker with no stress...it is so beautiful..highly recommended.

Heaps within easy reach of La Spezia. By bus or ferry. Portovenere. By ferry or train to the villages of the Cinque Terre (Riomaggiore, Manarola, Corniglia, Vernazza, and Monterosso.) Corniglia only by train.

Also by train easily done. Pisa direct, and Lucca with a change of trains at Viareggio.