Worth the extra money?

nibbs

Having done DCL Europe three years in a row (all including Barcelona), I would not suggest a Med cruise with a child that young. "Port intensive" does not even come close to explaining how exhausted you will be. Not fun for a 4.5 y.o. with no hotel to take a break/nap at in the middle of the day. Very different from the parks or any other cruise. Days in port are largely spent commuting to the cities (1.5-2 hours each way), then rushing around to see everything. Getting off the ship at 7:30 and not returning until 5:30 or later. Many days in a row.

Don't get me wrong, we are returning for the Greek Isles next year. Love DCL and LOVE Europe. But with a child that young, no way. The price would be a waste with all the heartache of the long days. What about the Dover to Barcelona? London is awesome! We did that one this year and B2B with Med. Or even better for the little one, the TA. We have done both directions and absolutely love the long cruises!

I absolutely second this. A Med cruise can be exhausting, depending on what you choose to do. WE loved it, but we are adults. I wouldn't spend the money or effort with a young child. We did Dover to Barcelona a few years ago--that was great and would be a good kid cruise. And we LOVE the TA cruises. Added benefit is lower cost per day.

I absolutely second this. A Med cruise can be exhausting' date=' depending on what you choose to do. WE loved it, but we are adults. I wouldn't spend the money or effort with a young child. We did Dover to Barcelona a few years ago--that was great and would be a good kid cruise. And we LOVE the TA cruises. Added benefit is lower cost per day.[/quote']

We have the same issue: European (Med, Baltic, British Isles) cruises are exhausting and you spend most of your days off in port. For this reason, we do not cruise Disney in Europe. If we're paying 50%-100% more for Disney, we want to make sure we're there to enjoy it. So when we cruise Europe, we like Celebrity's newer ships (Solstice class) or sometimes Princess. We only cruise Disney in the Caribbean, or Mexico, where we know we won't be in the ports all day, and where we can take far more advantage of the ship and its offerings... which, after all, is what we paid for.

STH, you will have fun in the suite on Princess! Suites come with many wonderful perks, which I am sure you will enjoy. Make sure you have breakfast each day in Sabbatini's where they will make *anything* you want; the menu is only a suggestion. And they will fill your mini-fridge with drinks (alcohol, water, soda) at the beginning of the cruise, plus give you free laundry and a plate of hors d'oeuvres every night (I recommend the chocolate-covered strawberries). You can also eat at one of the specialty restaurants for free on the first evening (I recommend the Crown Grill, if you enjoy steak). We cruise Princess a lot, but have only been in a suite twice, yet we have appreciated the difference.

Edited by helenb

Thanks helenb! Like others on this group of posts, we have done the TA on Disney and it was outstanding. Terrific entertainment. DCL European itineraries have gotten progressively higher. One couple we cruised with did their TA on Disney and then switched over to another cruise line for their Baltic cruise. We may still consider the Norwegian itineraries on the Magic, depending on our upcoming Princess experience.

From the OP original question:

We have children ages 9 and 5 currently. We have take them on DCL transatlantics with non-DCL Europe twice now. (3 DCL transatlantics so far - with both kids)

2014- NCL Baltics from Copenhagen then flew to Barcelona for DCL WBTA

2013- NCL Med Barcelona to Venice 12 nt following DCL EBTA (youngest was 3 for that one)

So from having "been there done that" with children about same age... Port intensive... We were just fine and saved thousands $$$$ by going with non DCL in Europe. Naples is still Naples no matter which ship brings you there IMHO.

Don't let anyone ever tell you something can be too port intensive - you know your child best IMHO

I think that the Disney Cruise experience is very much worth it when you have young kids. That being said, I agree with the other posters who said that it's not really worth it when you are talking about a port intensive Med. cruise.

The real selling point for H and I when we are cruising Disney is that everything on the ship really caters to the kids. The shows, the dining experience, the superior child care services. If we are overseas, I don't want to be dining on the boat, I want to be eating in the local restaurants. I don't want my kids in the kids program while I lounge by the pool, I want to be us to all be taking in the local sites.

Disney works best for us when we sail the Caribbean. We did a few days in the Disney Parks followed by a four day cruise last year, and will probably end up doing something similar for our upcoming cruise in 2016. Both H and I have been to Nassau before, and there's nothing all that exciting there, so we have no problem just hanging on the ship and spending some time relaxing while the kids go play. The day at sea has the same slow pace, H and I will usually pop the kids in the children's program, have brunch together, then we all spend the afternoon/evening as a family. Then we have a fun filled day at the private island, and Castaway Cay is one of the better ones out there.

Overall I think the Disney premium is more justified when you are planning a vacation built around relaxing, not one built around touring. That's where the "bang for your buck" occurs.

OP - I've cruised on the Magic and Fantasy - had a good time on both. However, I paid about the same as I would have paid on Princess, etc. Now Disney fares for 2016 have increased to a point I will cruise on Princess, etc. (have really enjoyed my cruises on Princess). I think the fares are just to high. But if the ships are full, Disney may charge what they want.

I am agreeing with DarkPixie08.

Disney could do cruises to no where or just to Castaway Cay and we would still cruise with them.

It is like going to WDW. We go there to stay on property and live in the Disney experience. Same with DCL. We have done the 3&4 day Dream cruise that stops at Nassau and did not even think about leaving the boat.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

We have not used another cruise line but we meet more and more cruisers who only cruise on Disney. We love the cleanliness, options, crew members, food, and beds. There adult areas are great and the kids seem to like the options for them. We will pay more to know that the experience will be as great as we have experienced.

We currently have reservations for B2B DCL cruises next summer. BUT....I did a search and found another cruise line doing almost identical ports. I can get a balcony cabin for half of the per diem rate that I'm paying for an inside on DCL.

We have booked a short cruise on the ship that I'm considering. When we return from that cruise, I'll cancel one of the lines.

We've really enjoyed our time on DCL, but there is nothing new (same shows, same menus, etc). Many of our favorite CMs have moved from the Magic to other ships. And the costs have gone thru the roof along with decreasing benefits to being loyal DCL cruisers and increased numbers of items with onboard charges. I really hope that I like the other ship...the price difference will pay for all excursions, etc.