Recent Cruisers: Warm Cabins?

Midwestern Cruiser

Recently High Seas Texan provided an ongoing review of Freedom's sailing from Galveston (returns home today)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2253635

He expressed disappointment at the a/c (in a grand suite) and says others onboard had the same complaint.

Have any of you, who have recently sailed, run into this problem?

Am considering a portable fan and will make room if it's needed.

TIA for your input.

My last 3 cruises (Liberty, Sensation and Sunshine) we had no problem with the temp. I bring a battery operated digital clock that has a themometer. The 1st two ships were always no higher than 72. My last cruise it was a chilly 68. I actually had to keep it off of the coldest setting . I was in an OV on deck 2 on the Liberty, An inside on deck 11 on the Sensation and an inside on deck 1 on the Sunshine.

I was on the Aug 22 sailing on the Freedom a couple of weeks ago. I definitely noticed a difference in cabin temperature. Although I wouldn't consider it "warm", it wasn't nearly as cold as I felt it shoulda been. On the coldest setting, the cabin was "cool-ish". LOL! We love to have our cabin COLD. So yes, we noticed.

(Deck 7 balcony cabin)

If there is a problem with the cooling I hope they get it fixed soon. My wife and I sail on the Freedom October 3. She will make me miserable if it is not cool at night for sleeping. I kid you not.. I think she is part polar bear. :eek:

I might end up sleeping outside in a deck chair.

PS - I was teasing about the polar bear comparison.

QTPie :cool:

Edited by QTPieTrader

Usually I'm not that worried about things but a warm cabin is a deal breaker. We had one a couple of cruises ago ( it seems to be no rhyme nor reason sometimes) and I called and went to desk right away. No one came so about an hour later I was back at the desk and stayed their until someone came with me to see how hot it was... not happy people but guess what? It got fixed! Some "valve" was turned the wrong way, some other passenger was freezing, blah, blah... whatever the room now was cold! Stayed that way the rest of the cruise and yes people got a nice tip.

We cruised this past week on the Breeze and had no issues with the cabin being cool and staying cool.

I had packed 2 battery operated fans, just in case though :) Never had to use them!

What do you consider "cool" as a Floridian? I'll be on the Breeze in March and need the temperature to be under 68 degrees. Thanks!

Just responding to the main question. We were on the Freedom on the 29th 2 cabins down from the one mentioned and ours was nice and cool for the whole cruise. Not saying that because we didn't have a problem that they didn't just saying it wasn't a ship or section wide problem. It would be a very frustrating problem to put up with for 7 days and I can say I really feel bad for them.

We were on a 7 day cruise on the Freedom the middle of June and our balcony room temperature was great, made my husband make it warmer before I got out of bed in the morning. We were on the 6th floor. Never heard anyone else complain about their room being too hot and I like to talk to lots of people, love cruising and Carnival. I don't think it's a Freedom thing , I think it was something he wanted to complain about and he complained a lot. We are already booked on the Freedom for next June, 8 rooms, 17 people. If we thought there was a problem we would not involve that many people. We have learned when you cruise you have to have patience and make it as good as you want it, sometimes things aren't perfect but you don't have to gripe if your tablecloth is missing or your towel animal doesn't last the week. Try and have fun with your family and friends.

I am becoming increasing concerned about reports of warm staterooms. I know on our Freedom Repo cruise our room was uncomfortably warm. Yes we reported it and yes it was above Carnivals standards. Adjustments were made and it improved. Next day still too warm and was still warmer than their guidelines. After that adjustment it barely made it into the acceptable temperature. There were no fans available. We made do by removing the A/C vent cover.

I was on the Freedom in 2010, in a porthole room, main deck, never had a problem with room temp, it was always comfortable.

Fast forward to Freedom 2014, 4j room, one of those that face the front walkway decks/secret decks, room 7203/ or was it 7302 lol...forget,but it was a very warm room. I knew that you had to close the drapes by sundown, but also knew that the sun shining in during the day would heat up the room,so my drapes in that room stayed closed every day, all day.

Returned to the room about 11pm to midnight and found the room very warm still. This would probably be my only complaint about that cruise. However, I did find that when I woke up at about 3am, the room temp suddenly seemed to be reasonable.

My thermostat was at the coolest setting. however I find that the room was always very warm durng the day and early evening. i did not spend much time in the room anyway, but do like a cool sleeping environment, so this time was less than a good thing for me.

But from now on, I have to say, that I will natter away at housekeepng or guest services or whoever I have to, to have a comfortable sleep. Carnival's so called acceptable room temps dont happen to work for me as of the last crusie, so, then I will have to be a PITA:D

Edited by SMSACE6

This was not on the Freedom but last cruise on the Liberty I found the cabin warm no matter how much I adjusted the A/C. Went to purser's desk to see what could be done....on 2 separate occasions....they 'checked' the room and said 'sorry it was within the 'standard' temperature - when I asked what that was....'they said 73!!!'....much too hot in my opinion for a caribbean cruise :(

We did B2Bs in 2014 (Glory) and 2015 (Breeze.) Each time we had a balcony the 1st week and an oceanview the 2nd week.

Both years, the balcony cabin was uncomfortably warm at night for sleeping. We kept our balcony door closed, the curtains closed when the sun was on our side of the ship, and the a/c on the coolest temp setting. And both years, sleeping in the oceanview cabin was great because the temperature was perfect!

We agreed to get an oceanview for both legs of our next B2B because of the sleeping temperature issues we've had.

Edited by D4

Things that may cause an HVAC system to be too hot:

Excessive humidity in the air.

Interruption in the balanced damper system.

Blockage of the return air.

The biggest problem with the system is "individual tampering"...ie, leaving balcony doors open, removing dampers, blocking the vents, not closing drapes. Someone may be doing everything right in their individual cabin but if others who are fed by the same arm of the system aren't being conscientious it does interrupt cool air flow especially if a cabin is at the end of the line. It's difficult for any cruise line to be monitoring neighboring cabins so the problem can be pinpointed.

Optimum cooling for interior commercial spaces is 74degrees....higher than my "comfort" sleeping temperature but fine for daytime use. When the system is working hard to lower the temperature to 74degrees on hot humid days and the nights do not cool off its not easy to get the internal temperatures to lower.

Maybe someday cruise ships will have individual room coolers (like many hotels) but until then not all cabins during all seasons will reach the desired coolness.

Edited by Sweet Dutch Girl

This thread concerns me a little bit. My wife and I are taking our first cruse on the inspiration in October. We will be in cab E5 an interior cabin at the front of the ship.

Anyway temperature is more then just a comfort thing for us. My wife has MS and if she gets over heated she can have real problems walking. Have a place where she can cool off is paramount. Especially at night. Is there anything I can do to avoid these issues? What can be done if they show up mid cruise?