Storm Brewing

Nacho Daddy

Jimmy Buffett has a song titled "Trying to Reason with the Hurricane Season" and they also have Margaritaville T-shirts with that saying, which I will be wearing on our cruise on 9/20. :D All this talk about a "strong" El Nino and less likelyhood of hurricanes this year...yeah right! They seem to developing off Africa and rolling on out just like a smooth assembly line production. At least Carnival will steer clear of hurricanes for safety.

I think you have nothing to worry about.

The first storm (TS Fred) looks like it is going to basically make a u-turn and the other one looks like it will fizzle out.

From the Weather Underground which is my go to website for storm information. It hasn't let me down yet.

"TD 7 should gain enough latitude to begin experiencing high wind shear of 20 - 25 knots and a much drier atmosphere. These conditions should act to weaken and possibly destroy TD 7 by the time it makes its closest pass by the northern Lesser Antilles Islands on Friday night or Saturday. Penetration into the Caribbean will be difficult for the storm, as the high wind shear which has dominated the region all summer shows no signs of slackening during the coming ten days."

Here is the link http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/

Jimmy Buffett has a song titled "Trying to Reason with the Hurricane Season" and they also have Margaritaville T-shirts with that saying, which I will be wearing on our cruise on 9/20. :D All this talk about a "strong" El Nino and less likelyhood of hurricanes this year...yeah right! They seem to developing off Africa and rolling on out just like a smooth assembly line production. At least Carnival will steer clear of hurricanes for safety.

But it cleans me out and then I can go on :>)

There's a storm brewing off of Africa. Awesome! Just in time for our September 13th sailing.

I just read The Weather Channel's notice on it and I don't really think it's going to amount to anything to worry about. Cruise ships, if need be, reroute around storms. I will be on the September 13th sailing on The Splendor for a New England cruise. Whichever cruise you're on, I'm sure you will be fine. Enjoy!

We sail out of Jacksonville on the Fascination next Saturday (how good it feels to type that!) and I am keeping my eye own the all the action coming out of West Africa.

Can't do anything about it....

Here is to hoping all of you have smooth waters and sunny days on your cruise!

Now Tropical Storm Grace.

My grandmother name was Grace, had a aunt named Grace, my granddaughters name is Gracie, my favorite performer is Grace Potter.

This is one Grace I hope stays away.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Forums mobile app

September 10 is the statistical peak of hurricane season, so the likelihood of something being out there somewhere is good. Relax, though, as this particular storm is way too far out to waste much concern on at this point.

We live in Texas and often sail from Galveston, but decided for a change to fly to Miami and

do an Eastern Caribbean on Glory, well along came the possibility of a hurricane so our cruise

turned into a Western Itinerary!!! the Captain wanted his ship and passengers to be safe.

We still had a fantastic cruise, weather was unbelievable and the sea was calm all week:)

Enjoy whatever comes your way, and your time on the ship.

During hurricane season, when you're within a week of your cruising date, it's helpful to go to http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/ for the most up-to-date information about any developing tropical storms or hurricanes.

You can see any storms that are developing, and if you click on the link to "Warnings/Cone Static Images" it will show you the predicted path of the storm and the dates that it is expected to reach certain places. However, for the full story, you have to click on the link to "Forecast Discussion" and that's where you'll really get the full scoop on what they expect from that particular storm.

For example, looking at the forecast track for tropical storm Grace, you can see that the storm is expected to hit the area near St Maarten and St Kitts on Saturday, September 12th. If you read the forecast discussion, though, you get a more detailed story... that the storm is expected to begin weakening on Thursday, September 10th, and by the time it reaches St Maarten and St Kitts it probably will have been downgraded from a tropical storm to just a "tropical wave".

The language they use in the forecast discussion is the language of meteorology. In other words, it's kind of wonky or technical, not "layman's terms". So, you have to read it carefully and try to think like a weatherman and figure out what they mean. But if you can do that, it will give you a very good idea of what to expect from any storms that are developing.

During hurricane season, when you're within a week of your cruising date, it's helpful to go to http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/ for the most up-to-date information about any developing tropical storms or hurricanes.

You can see any storms that are developing, and if you click on the link to "Warnings/Cone Static Images" it will show you the predicted path of the storm and the dates that it is expected to reach certain places. However, for the full story, you have to click on the link to "Forecast Discussion" and that's where you'll really get the full scoop on what they expect from that particular storm.

For example, looking at the forecast track for tropical storm Grace, you can see that the storm is expected to hit the area near St Maarten and St Kitts on Saturday, September 12th. If you read the forecast discussion, though, you get a more detailed story... that the storm is expected to begin weakening on Thursday, September 10th, and by the time it reaches St Maarten and St Kitts it probably will have been downgraded from a tropical storm to just a "tropical wave".

The language they use in the forecast discussion is the language of meteorology. In other words, it's kind of wonky or technical, not "layman's terms". So, you have to read it carefully and try to think like a weatherman and figure out what they mean. But if you can do that, it will give you a very good idea of what to expect from any storms that are developing.

We live in the middle of NC but have a place on the coast near Wilmington...I love Noaa...and have used it a lot in years past....we have not had any really bad storms hit our coast in a few years...so haven't been reading it...BTW...also good when a snowstorm is predicted:D And after a while you can kind of figure out the wonky language...and each forecaster writes it a bit different!!