Master Chef's Table, Cellar Master/Sommellier dinner

cruisingxpert

Iirc the cabana dinner is quite expensive. I want to say it was something like $129 per person.

Yes, but the experience is, to overuse the phrase, priceless.

We sprung for this a couple of years ago on the Nieuw Amsterdam, on the second leg of an East/West Caribbean Collectors Cruise. We had attended several events with the Sommelier and enjoyed his events. The Cabana Club Dinner is overseen by the Executive Chef and the Sommelier. It is their chance to shine in terms of menu, wine pairings, service and ambiance.

The evening began with a gathering of the small group participating in the event. Specialty cocktails and small bites coupled with comfortable seating on the elevated deck just aft of the Crows Nest. It was a warm evening, albeit a bit windy. (Imgaine that, wind on a cruise deck while underway)

Afterward each couple was led to their private cabana, overlooking the Lido deck and Tamarind to the aft. We had the most starboard open-sided tent, er cabana, and I swear the full moon laid a direct path to ours across the water.

Dinner was a multitude of courses, including numerous amuse bouche tastes between them. The wine selections were quite good; not limited to selections from any of the packages. There was no limit on anything found to your liking; full tummies all 'round.

As the meal wound down, there was an opportunity to continue the event with music and dancing and more wine or drinks. We were there for 3+ hours and still were one of the early departures. Yes, this was the most expensive food/wine event we have done aboard at $135/pp. We have spent far more on excursions with so-so results. This event exceeded our land-based expectations of an over-the-top dining experience. The private setting for two in your own cabana with high service levels is somewhat intoxicating on its own. Mixing in food directly prepared by the Chef and good wine and my bride of 34 years made it unforgettable.

Yes, but the experience is, to overuse the phrase, priceless.

We sprung for this a couple of years ago on the Nieuw Amsterdam, on the second leg of an East/West Caribbean Collectors Cruise. We had attended several events with the Sommelier and enjoyed his events. The Cabana Club Dinner is overseen by the Executive Chef and the Sommelier. It is their chance to shine in terms of menu, wine pairings, service and ambiance.

The evening began with a gathering of the small group participating in the event. Specialty cocktails and small bites coupled with comfortable seating on the elevated deck just aft of the Crows Nest. It was a warm evening, albeit a bit windy. (Imgaine that, wind on a cruise deck while underway)

Afterward each couple was led to their private cabana, overlooking the Lido deck and Tamarind to the aft. We had the most starboard open-sided tent, er cabana, and I swear the full moon laid a direct path to ours across the water.

Dinner was a multitude of courses, including numerous amuse bouche tastes between them. The wine selections were quite good; not limited to selections from any of the packages. There was no limit on anything found to your liking; full tummies all 'round.

As the meal wound down, there was an opportunity to continue the event with music and dancing and more wine or drinks. We were there for 3+ hours and still were one of the early departures. Yes, this was the most expensive food/wine event we have done aboard at $135/pp. We have spent far more on excursions with so-so results. This event exceeded our land-based expectations of an over-the-top dining experience. The private setting for two in your own cabana with high service levels is somewhat intoxicating on its own. Mixing in food directly prepared by the Chef and good wine and my bride of 34 years made it unforgettable.

It sounds like it was worthwhile to you. I'm just not big on the expensive frou frou dinners. It's just not my style. That said I love a cabana. I'm sure it's not everyone's cup of tea. Sounds like you have a great memory:). One of my favorite memories was on a Hal ship sailing from port to port super slow. It was a beautifully warm night and I was at a lovely cocktail party on an open deck. It was awesome. I bet for others at that party it was just another cocktail party.

I have to start saving my on board account bills as I am sure our Master Chef's Table was more than $89.

I was cleaning out some more On Locations and found a copy of our most recent Zuiderdam ones.

There was actually a little snippet in the On Location about the Master Chef's dinner one day and it shows the price we have been paying (printing was very light color):

Sept%2012%20002_zpsfi33gqyp.jpg

• 1 year later...
Just because you have a Retreat Cabana does not guarantee that you can book the dinner.

It is first come, first serve.

On the Nieuw Amsterdam the Chef's Dinner was $89 per person and the Retreat dinner was $129 per person.

wanted to ask you if the Mariners discount is applicable to both dinners ? we are 4 stars mariners , ( for past few cruises Chef dinner & cellar master dinners was not available on our ship ) ,so i was wondering about information regarding mariner discount .

thanks.

wanted to ask you if the Mariners discount is applicable to both dinners ? we are 4 stars mariners , ( for past few cruises Chef dinner & cellar master dinners was not available on our ship ) ,so i was wondering about information regarding mariner discount .

thanks.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but the Mariner's discount does not apply to either of these dinners. They are full price. It only applies to regular specialty dining, not "special occasion" ones. So whether it's a Sommelier dinner, Master Chef Table/Dinner, Cellar Master Dinner or any other wording, it does not apply.

I was cleaning out some more On Locations and found a copy of our most recent Zuiderdam ones.

There was actually a little snippet in the On Location about the Master Chef's dinner one day and it shows the price we have been paying (printing was very light color):

Sept%2012%20002_zpsfi33gqyp.jpg

Oh so yummy [emoji39] this menu is making me very [emoji39]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The Mariners discount will apply.

Thanks for your reply, hope,it will apply on dining package , we seen some conflicting and confusing post some ship applying it and some do not ,hope it be the case for us on N.amsterdam so if I understand U correctly I can buy dining package at reduced priced and on top of that my mariners discount will be added so I will save even more ????

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Do they have the Chef's table on the 14 day cruises on the Prinsendam?

Yes, we attended a very nice dinner on the Prinsendam several weeks ago. I would ask about it when you first get onboard.

It is NOT advertised or announced, but one of the wine stewards mentioned it to us and signed us up. If he had not told us, we would not have known.

It was a great evening and well-worth the money.