we get lost on the ships

retiredkid

One of the things on HAL ships that I have noticed, is that each of the elevators is close to a set of stairs. And the stairs seem to always be to the forward of the elevator. So upon exiting an elevator and facing the stairs, I am always pointing forward. This commonly helps me get my bearings.

At least this has been true for all of the HAL ships on which I have sailed.

Scott & Karen

And the stairs seem to always be to the forward of the elevator. So upon exiting an elevator and facing the stairs, I am always pointing forward. This commonly helps me get my bearings.

It's not true for the forward elevators on the Prinsendam.

Edited by jtl513

One of the things on HAL ships that I have noticed, is that each of the elevators is close to a set of stairs. And the stairs seem to always be to the forward of the elevator. So upon exiting an elevator and facing the stairs, I am always pointing forward. This commonly helps me get my bearings.

Scott & Karen

Checking back on our last three HAL ships (Noordam, Oosterdam and Nieuw Amsterdam) this didn't apply.

What does seem to hold true is that if the elevators are in double pairs facing each other, the stairs are forward, while if they are a single pair, the stairs are aft.

I did figure out the stairs/elevator thing on my last cruise. And I was very appreciative of balloons on the doors which helped my navigation skills:rolleyes: - but part of the fun is finding your way around along with everyone else, and just in being on a ship. I was often challenged coming out of the cabin and wondering which way to turn.

Edited by Lizzie68

It’s easy to remember. Entertainment in the front, dining in the rear, Lido buffet & pool up, and most other things near the middle on either the Promenade and Upper Promenade decks, or the Promenade and Lower Promenade decks (depending on the ship.)

Scott & Karen

Probably the best description of the ships' layouts I've ever heard!

Edited by Fb_cruiser