Urgent help with shore tours

Hi - travelling 14 nights celebration - looking for help with which shore tours to do - especially need urgent help with VENICE? Full day or half day or secret corners - anyone any help or advice please?

imo better to do Venice on your own in your own time [emoji3][emoji106]🏻

I would agree - you can use the vaporetto to get into the centre - or walk! It's a small city and you can't really get lost just take a map (I found the PopOut maps good) and look out for the directional signs on the walls of buildings at 1st floor height. They will direct you to the main sites - Rialto Bridge, St Mark's and the Accademia Bridge. You will quickly get your bearings again. If you're good to walk you can get in and out and explore on foot no probs (or catch the vaporetto to save some time) and spend as much or little time as you wish in the city and not be restricted by tour times.

What are your other ports? Most destinations in the Adriatic and Aegean are easy DiY unless you especially want to go somewhere distant which isn't easily done independently but if most ports are new to you I think you will find they generally have enough of interest in their own right.

We did half day last time, which was our first, and had plenty of time to visit all the sites and a guarantee of a return. This time we will be doing the secret corners then a walk round in the afternoon local to the port. We go this week when do you go?

I can recommend Nico's Gelateria on the Guidecca Canal (you pass it on the way in on the right hand side) for super icecreams and reasonably priced. Make for the Accademia Br where you get great photos and across to the promenade along the Guidecca. Worth the walk! ;)

Hi - travelling 14 nights celebration - looking for help with which shore tours to do - especially need urgent help with VENICE? Full day or half day or secret corners - anyone any help or advice please?

A good plan for the day is get off ship asap and head straight to St Marks Square, here you can see the square the basilica and the camponile and the doges palace including bridge of sighs then take time for lunch [emoji3] places to just sit and relax for free are very few and far between! Then either walk or get water bus to see Rialto Bridge area before heading back to ship. Really you need to decide what you want to see most. I too used the pop up map but mostly ENJOY it's fabulous [emoji41]

I can recommend Nico's Gelateria on the Guidecca Canal (you pass it on the way in on the right hand side) for super icecreams and reasonably priced. Make for the Accademia Br where you get great photos and across to the promenade along the Guidecca. Worth the walk! ;)

Hi kruzeeka looks good to me did you actually cross the Ponte dell Accademia bridge over into St Vidal this is the area we had been looking at anyway for the afternoon and a nice ice cream sounds inviting:p

Hi kruzeeka looks good to me did you actually cross the Ponte dell Accademia bridge over into St Vidal this is the area we had been looking at anyway for the afternoon and a nice ice cream sounds inviting:p

Yes we crossed the Accademia Bridge - you can get one of the classic postcard views from the bridge looking down the Grand Canal towards the Santa Maria della Salute at the end on the right - so worth going for that.

After crossing the bridge we carried on more or less straight ahead and happened to pass a boatyard along the way which made another interesting photo stop until we came out on Fondamenta Zattere al Ponte Longo - we turned left once we hit this 'promenade' along the Guidecca Canal towards Nico's. If you Google 'Nico's Gelateria Venice' you will get reviews and they are good - on the lines of 'the best icecream in Venice' (sorry can't get this device to do the links for you).

Last time we went we were determined to get our icecreams even though it was pouring! We stood under the canopy at the front of the shop avoiding the drips :eek: - but it was worth the effort! It's a couple of years back but I think it was €1.70 per scoop and given Venice prices we thought it was good value and delicious!

Sorry looked at my map and can't see St Vidal so not quite sure where that is in relation to Nico's but I don't think you'd be disappointed with the Icecream if you make it. Enjoy! ;)

Agree that, unless the shore excursion is very specific about something you want to see and do, Venice is easy to navigate on your own.

If you have only 1/2 day, just wander. Easy to find your way around.

If a full day, consider getting a vaporetto day pass and heading out to Murano and Burano.

Hi kruzeeka

Thanks for the directions we will; however be doing it in reverse starting from the ship think its Stazion Marittima then along Ponte Lungo (that sounds like a coffee) till we get to Nico's:p then over the Accademia bridge and St Vidal is just on the left, well it is in my AA pocket guide, still what a place to get lost;)

Thanks again:)

Just arrived back from Venice yesterday. It was lovely. We left the ship and took the people mover for 1.5 euros to the Piazalle Roma. This is the main bus/vaporetto stop. There is a cafe and toilets. We took the #1 vaporetto to St Marks Square - 7.5 euros one way. You need to purchase the ticket from the kiosk by the canal and they run every half hour. Lovely start to our afternoon out as we were straight into the hustle and bustle of the Grand Canal. Walked round St Marks and then along past Harry's Bar and towards the Academia Bridge. it was quite hot so we took Kruzseeka's advise and walked down to Nico's Gelataria. Lovely ice cream at 2.5 euros for 2 scoops in a tub so it didn't run everywhere. As it was very busy, we walked to the right of Nico's and turned left into a square that was shaded and had a couple of benches. There was an old man busking with a violin and he played 'Just one Cornetto' for us. Very cheesy but a lovely moment.

We then meandered round to the Rialto Bridge which is covered as it is being worked on - very busy there. We gradually made our way back to Piazalle Roma and across the bridge back to the people mover.

An alternative when you leave the ship is a water taxi from the dock direct to St Marks Square for 8 euros. Some people took this but we loved the Grand Canal trip. Returned to the ship after 5 hours walking, exhausted but loved it. Also, don't miss the sail in. It was beautiful and clear and our ship gave a running commentary for the 90 minutes we were passing the islands and up the canal.