SDP v UPD

queenschick9b

The best first source of information is NCL: SDP FAQ & Terms.

If you are familiar with the UDP, which no longer exists except as a legacy product for people who purchased it or received it as a perk several months ago, the main differences appear to be:

• The SDP is for a certain number of meals, not for a certain number of days. The UDP allows you to visit as many restaurants as you like, every day of your cruise.
  • The SDP has a list of set cover charges for à la carte venues and reduced cover charges for entertainment dining, while the UDP offers a 25% discount off the à la carte pricing and entertainment dining cover charges.

There seems to be ongoing confusion about upcharge items on the menus of the specialty restaurants (see for example this current thread). According to the FAQs of both packages, these should all be included for no extra charge.

As I see it the most inconvenient difference between UDP and SDP is flexibility. SDP works like a punch-card; you buy so many meals (or make so many reservations) and as use them your card is "punched", however, a no-show (or last minute change of plans or cancellation) at a restaurant will cost you a punch. :(

Example, last year on the breakaway, we just missed a tender across the bay in Bermuda and did not make it back to the ship on time for our reservation. No big deal, we ended up eating at the buffet. However with SDP, that would have cost us a punch :(.

At the spa there is a 24 hour cancelation policy, so I'm suspecting that will be the SDP policy for changing reservations also. Of course, this new policy will certainly help open up reservations since people won't be tempted to make reservations they aren't 100% certain about.

I suspect some people will argue this is a better policy since we should always keep our reservations (and they may be corret). But few could successfully argue that losing the ability change your mind (without a penalty) takes away flexibility; making NCL less free-style.

Edited by BermudaBound2014

So far, I don't believe anybody has reported losing a meal with the SDP due to a no-show or late cancellation. In fact, has anyone actually been penalized in any way for not honoring a specialty dining reservation or for cancelling with less than 24 hours' notice? I know this is NCL's stated policy, but do they actually carry through with the threat?

So far, I don't believe anybody has reported losing a meal with the SDP due to a no-show or late cancellation. In fact, has anyone actually been penalized in any way for not honoring a specialty dining reservation or for cancelling with less than 24 hours' notice? I know this is NCL's stated policy, but do they actually carry through with the threat?

You are correct, no one has reported losing a SDP meal due to a late cancellation, but just the "threat" is enough for me to feel I have less flexibility :).

Example, last year on the breakaway, we just missed a tender across the bay in Bermuda and did not make it back to the ship on time for our reservation. No big deal, we ended up eating at the buffet. However with SDP, that would have cost us a punch :(.

You don't know that. You can't just assume that the ship wouldn't have made an exception. The guideline has always been to cancel at least 24 hours in advance, whether UDP, SDP, or paying as you go in the specialties. That part hasn't changed. Hopefully people are courteous and follow it, whether or not the ship is actively enforcing it. But to act like they would have "cost you a punch" when circumstances were out of control, when no one has reported this happening, isn't being truthful or helpful.

Edited by LrgPizza

The SDP is certainly less flexible than the UDP, but the point is moot because the UDP is no longer available anyway. I know the OP opened this thread asking for a comparison of the two packages, but the only choice now is between taking the SDP, or paying as you go for specialty dining. Whether you make reservations or not is a separate decision, but if you choose to make reservations, there is no difference in flexibility between SDP and pay as you go.

Edited by hawkeyetlse

You don't know that. You can't just assume that the ship wouldn't have made an exception. The guideline has always been to cancel at least 24 hours in advance, whether UDP, SDP, or paying as you go in the specialties. That part hasn't changed. Hopefully people are courteous and follow it, whether or not the ship is actively enforcing it. But to act like they would have "cost you a punch" when circumstances were out of control, when no one has reported this happening, isn't being truthful or helpful.

I'm only going by the terms and conditions listed at NCL. You're absolutely correct, I shouldn't have "assumed" the ship wouldn't have made an exception. They may very well have made the exception for us, but according to the terms and conditions; we would have been issued no refund. That's enough for me to be very very cautious when booking SDP reservations. But hey, that's just me ;-)

Dining/Entertainment: Guests that cancel on board more than 24 hours prior to the booked activity will receive a refund for their purchase in the form of an onboard credit. If a cancellation is made less than 24 hours prior to the activity, no refund will be issued. To make a cancellation on board, please visit the Guest Services Desk.

You have just quoted the NCL policy for on-line paid reservations. Strictly speaking, this rule cannot apply to SPD dining reservations, because in the case of a timely cancellation, there is no purchase to be refunded in the form of an onboard credit.

I can't find any reservation slips from past cruises to check how the policy is stated when you book a restaurant on board, but anyway the SDP was not available yet on our past cruises. Someone who is sailing now needs to ask on board, and hopefully NCL will add clarification to the FAQ/terms of the SDP on the website. (not holding my breath)

Again, there is very little practical point in reminiscing about how much better the UDP was. If you already have it for an upcoming sailing, enjoy it! If you don't, it's best to forget it ever existed…

The SDP is certainly less flexible than the UDP, but the point is moot because the UDP is no longer available anyway. I know the OP opened this thread asking for a comparison of the two packages, but the only choice now is between taking the SDP, or paying as you go for specialty dining. Whether you make reservations or not is a separate decision, but if you choose to make reservations, there is no difference in flexibility between SDP and pay as you go.

Thanks for all the feed back from everyone.

I know it isn't an option anymore but I have been on a cruise with UDP so I was curious how it will be different on my upcoming cruise. I think for 7 nights I will get the SDP for 5 meals. :)

Thanks for all the feed back from everyone.

I know it isn't an option anymore but I have been on a cruise with UDP so I was curious how it will be different on my upcoming cruise. I think for 7 nights I will get the SDP for 5 meals. :)

Have a great time! Can you please report back if you have any interaction with the policy for changing reservations with SDP? Curious minds and all :)