5 Reasons to book a balcony...

big al

Other things being equal (ship, itinerary etc) would you rather:

Cruise every year in an inside or cruise every other year in a balcony.

(You can adjust for your budget / vacation time - cruise twice a year inside or once per year balcony)

every other year in a balcony...we try & cruise once a year..won't cruise in an inside anymore...we never find any excitement in an inside..no connection to the sea...no amazing views & sunsets & moonlights...just like I would never stay in a hotel room with no window...but that's me...

GREAT choice & decision!! A balcony IMO is much more important than the hotel stay in Barcelona...you will get more days & better views from your balcony PLUS salt air, wind, waves, coastal views, moonlight, sunsets, etc...it's your cruise vacation- go for it!!

Big Al

Save money elsewhere (cheap meals etc) and don't miss paid for attractions in Rome. You will miss so much if you do.

Save money elsewhere (cheap meals etc) and don't miss paid for attractions in Rome. You will miss so much if you do.

If we can't swing the vacation like we want ( balcony, food, attractions,etc..), we just don't go or wait till we can afford it...I compromise all year, not on my holidays...but I do understand your point of view...

If we can't swing the vacation like we want ( balcony, food, attractions,etc..), we just don't go or wait till we can afford it...I compromise all year, not on my holidays...but I do understand your point of view...

Welcome Back! Sounds like you and your wife enjoyed your AOS trip. Can't wait for the review:D

I've got 39 days to go before embark. Just wanted to thank you again for all your help. Oh...and while I still haven't been able to snag a JS (lucky you) I did move our cabin up to the 9th deck same exact room number (was able to keep my hump - LOL). I'm still hoping for a last minute discount miracle but it won't stop me from enjoying every second of my beautiful balcony. :)

Thanks for all the great advice you gave us for the Adventure of the Seas sail on Nov 14. How do we use you for our cruise agent?

Thanks for the compliment....I think you should have my contact info, right? If not, let me know...

Alan

Thanks for the compliment....I think you should have my contact info, right? If not, let me know...

Alan

Thanks, I want to read your reviews too, how do we do that?

We are booked on Princess, going through the Panama Canal, 17 day on Dec 17. Balcony! Any suggestions?

Thank you again, loved reading all the balcony supporter notes.

Thanks, I want to read your reviews too, how do we do that?

We are booked on Princess, going through the Panama Canal, 17 day on Dec 17. Balcony! Any suggestions?

Thank you again, loved reading all the balcony supporter notes.

First you can read any reviews/ posts/ threads by clicking on my name at the top right and clicking "statistics", then "find all posts by Big Al" or "find all threads by Big Al", etc...here is my most well known thread I started 2 years ago called "Thanks, cruise ship balcony, a commentary.."..it has almost 50,000 views..just read the first few pages..some nice responses, too, especially first 4-5 pages,then repetitive...enjoy!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1947393

Big Al

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I need a balcony. I love having a place where I can sit away from the crowds and just enjoy some quiet time. Also, my DH always has the TV on in the cabin. At least when we are both in the cabin, I can still get away to a crowd-free, TV noise-free area.

MANY people tell me this and I agree 100%!! Yes, you can get away from it all in an inside cabin, but NO COMPARISON between 4 walls & darkness and sunshine, salt air, the wind at your face, ships passing by, sunsets, etc...so much to see and so serene & cool to be out there..sorry, there's nothing cool about a broom closet....Thanks for your post!!

Big Al

You know, it's funny, but I posted in this thread that even though I hadn't been on a cruise yet, I couldn't imagine not having a balcony. Now that I have experience my first cruise and balcony, my opinions is that while I absolutely love it and it's my #1 preference, I can deal without one if it means that I can do two cruises a year.

Which is what I will be doing next year. I already had another cruise booked before I even stepped on my first cruise. But as soon as I debarked, I knew that it would be torture waiting a full year for my next one! So, I booked a second, but the only way I can afford two in a year is to have one be in an interior.

I know it's not going to be the same, but fortunately, it's a porthole interior so at least I will be able to peak outside. And, it's on a 6 port, 1 sea day cruise, so we won't be in the cabin much anyway. I am going to miss being able to step outside in my pj's first thing in the morning, though!

You know, it's funny, but I posted in this thread that even though I hadn't been on a cruise yet, I couldn't imagine not having a balcony. Now that I have experience my first cruise and balcony, my opinions is that while I absolutely love it and it's my #1 preference, I can deal without one if it means that I can do two cruises a year.

Which is what I will be doing next year. I already had another cruise booked before I even stepped on my first cruise. But as soon as I debarked, I knew that it would be torture waiting a full year for my next one! So, I booked a second, but the only way I can afford two in a year is to have one be in an interior.

I know it's not going to be the same, but fortunately, it's a porthole interior so at least I will be able to peak outside. And, it's on a 6 port, 1 sea day cruise, so we won't be in the cabin much anyway. I am going to miss being able to step outside in my pj's first thing in the morning, though!

I've heard the term port hole interior used before but I think of interior as those cabins not at the edge where balconies and windows etc are to Me those cabins at the edge are either suites, balconies , port hole or window ones . so do you use that term for the port hole ones

I've heard the term port hole interior used before but I think of interior as those cabins not at the edge where balconies and windows etc are to Me those cabins at the edge are either suites, balconies , port hole or window ones . so do you use that term for the port hole ones

I'm only familiar with Carnival terminology, and on Carnival, port holes are considered interiors.

Edited by bakersdozen12

I have been on five cruises. Three have been inside and two were window cabins. Two insides on RCI and a window which was giant (Jewel of the Seas) and then one inside and one window on Carnival. We are booked in a balcony cabin aboard Freedom of the Seas in December of 2016. I am looking forward to it. We are a family of six so balconies aren't always affordable. Since I booked this one way in advance (for me) I decided to splurge a little... Okay, a lot. I'm one of those who has taken a cruise every year since I first stepped foot on a ship and I'm just happy to be on the ship no matter where my cabin is. My favorite, however, was the Jewels big ol window. I'm afraid the balcony is going to spoil me and I won't be able to go back to anything less.

I'm only familiar with Carnival terminology, and on Carnival, port holes are considered interiors.

ah ok cool , had someone at work confuse me using that same terminology with the cruise on golden princess, thank you i will remember that it is the same if i see or hear that again . :)

• 2 weeks later...

Love those balconies!! Added a last minute traveler to my first cruise and got upgraded to a back-of-the-ship balcony. The following year cruised as a chaperone on a high school trip - and got stuck with an inside cabin. In my opinion, it's always worth the cost of the balcony upgrade. There is only one way to sit on the balcony with your feet up, in the middle of the ocean, in the middle of the caribbean, at 1:00 in the morning. Being there but having an inside cabin just doesn't measure up!!

question in regards to balconies are they able to lock them during the night ?? i was able to go out in the middle of the night a few times but one night i could not not sure if i was just that tired i could not open the door or if the wind stopped it from moving somehow i had the first cabin deck 10 on the golden just had me thinking or i also could have done what i did first night not locked it myself and when i went to open later on i locked it ?? woke up and found it was unlocked but had not opened during the night