5 Reasons to book a balcony...

big al

I was lucky. My first cruise wad to Alaska, and everyone else in my party was experienced cruisers who swore by insides and insisted that rooms are only for sleeping anyways. But I'd heard that balconies are especially nice for Alaska and other scenic cruises and, thinking I might never cruise again, I splurged for the only balcony in our group. And that was lucky because I'm certain that if I'd had an inside that would have been my first last and only cruise.

I love making little fruit and cheese plates from the buffet and having them with wine on the balcony at night. I love having the ocean be the first thing I see in the morning. I love being able to have that first cup of coffee without getting dressed and going up on deck. And I loved being able to see the glaciers without fighting for a spot at the rail!

If you have a larger family, you can get one balcony and then the inside across the hall if you want some access.

I would rather go every other year with a balcony than every year without because to me, the balcony and "private ocean" is a big part of the cruise. It's like asking me if I'd rather go to the California coast or shopping in Chicago - they are two entirely different trips to me, not different versions of the same trip.

Agree on everything point you made 100%..it IS like having a private ocean..we too, would rather cruise less with a balcony, than cruise more with an inside with no character...

Big Al

We booked our first balcony for December but an offer we couldn't refuse came up and we took it. We'll still take the family on RC Freedom OTS in December but our first balcony cabin will come in 12 days aboard Carnival Victory. We are on deck 11 and under a pool but that was actually a nice point for us. If we are not in our room, you can find us in the Serenity area which will be just up the stairs from us. If it's noisy or in a bad location, I won't blame the balcony lol. I said before, we are usually just happy to be on the ship. This total trip air fair, cruise, taxes, port fees, exc only set us back $1300! I'm going to have a great time no matter what [emoji6]

We booked our first balcony for December but an offer we couldn't refuse came up and we took it. We'll still take the family on RC Freedom OTS in December but our first balcony cabin will come in 12 days aboard Carnival Victory. We are on deck 11 and under a pool but that was actually a nice point for us. If we are not in our room, you can find us in the Serenity area which will be just up the stairs from us. If it's noisy or in a bad location, I won't blame the balcony lol. I said before, we are usually just happy to be on the ship. This total trip air fair, cruise, taxes, port fees, exc only set us back $1300! I'm going to have a great time no matter what [emoji6]

Congrats on your 1st balcony!!! Don't forget to have breakfast on a SEA day..read my original post..make sure you have $3-5 in CASH for a tip..make the attendant bring the breakfast on your balcony, and enjoy!!

Big Al

Congrats on your 1st balcony!!! Don't forget to have breakfast on a SEA day..read my original post..make sure you have $3-5 in CASH for a tip..make the attendant bring the breakfast on your balcony, and enjoy!!

Big Al

Thanks Big Al! I will definitely take the tip and have breakfast on the balcony.

We have breakfast on the balcony several times while on the ship. The room service menus is a bit limited. We have the attendant leave our tray in the room on the little table and take out to the balcony only what we need as there isn't much space to put anything.

We enjoy breakfast on our balcony as often as possible on every cruise. Take a look at this picture my wife took of one of our breakfasts for her website.

Breakfast on the balcony

We typically have breakfast every morning except on those days when we have an early shore excursion. It's a wonderful way to start the day!

Edited by JimAOk1945

We have breakfast on the balcony several times while on the ship. The room service menus is a bit limited. We have the attendant leave our tray in the room on the little table and take out to the balcony only what we need as there isn't much space to put anything.

We enjoy breakfast on our balcony as often as possible on every cruise. Take a look at this picture my wife took of one of our breakfasts for her website.

Breakfast on the balcony

We typically have breakfast every morning except on those days when we have an early shore excursion. It's a wonderful way to start the day!

Hi guys- Thanks for both comments..agree 100% that breakfast menus are very limited!! That is why sometimes, my wife & I will stop by the buffet & grab a bit more IF needed...it's really for the wonderful experience & majesty we feel while enjoying our limited, but stimulating breakfast...

Big Al

I have used inside, ocean view, balcony, JR suite and Grand Suite. I generally select the type of cabin based on the ship. I need an accessible cabin so sometimes my choice is whatever is left. Any cabin is better than no cabin, but when I consider the possibility of being quarantined in an inside cabin. I can't breath! So in the future, it will be a balcony or no cruise.

• 4 weeks later...
Let's face it. There are some people that are only in their cabins to sleep and shower.

To me, though, my cabin is my home away from home. There is very little I participate in on the ship. The ship is not my 'destination' (which is why I don't go on of the mega ships). So to me the balcony provides my quiet, private out door space. I love getting up in the morning and going out in my nightgown (or if already in port with a robe on LOL).

I love sitting out there and watching the water, reading, napping. It's our own special space. :)

gee I know this is an old quote. sorry about that but I so agree, we had our first cruise in a mini suit and loved that the next one our neighbour had a balcony and we looked at that and thought yep that will be fine. our last cruise was balcony and for all the reasons that have been mentioned we love this option. we spent so much time on our balcony even when we did Alaska. you cant beat the fresh air . at night we at out under the stars . or just a read and a glass of wine. we ordered room service often. it was a really nice relaxing way to spend sea days as we did lots of excursions when we docked. 3 oclock would see us back in our room feet up either having a glass of wine or watching a movie and then getting ready fro dinner and the evening entertainment. it was nice to meet people over dinner, bit the rest of our holiday was for us. just planning the next one which has got me search the boards for recommendations. we want somewhere warm from march 2017 . I will post on the general and se if anyone ha any ideas

gee I know this is an old quote. sorry about that but I so agree, we had our first cruise in a mini suit and loved that the next one our neighbour had a balcony and we looked at that and thought yep that will be fine. our last cruise was balcony and for all the reasons that have been mentioned we love this option. we spent so much time on our balcony even when we did Alaska. you cant beat the fresh air . at night we at out under the stars . or just a read and a glass of wine. we ordered room service often. it was a really nice relaxing way to spend sea days as we did lots of excursions when we docked. 3 oclock would see us back in our room feet up either having a glass of wine or watching a movie and then getting ready fro dinner and the evening entertainment. it was nice to meet people over dinner, bit the rest of our holiday was for us. just planning the next one which has got me search the boards for recommendations. we want somewhere warm from march 2017 . I will post on the general and se if anyone ha any ideas

Most people who say they are only in their cabin to sleep & shower have NEVER had a balcony, or didn't take advantage of the wonders it provides...BTW, my wife & I always book a table for 2 for dinner if we cruise alone..I read someone write once, "Dining with people I've never met, have nothing in common with, and will never see again, is not my idea of a vacation- if I want to all that, I'll cruise with friends or family"...well said IMO...I'm very friendly on cruises & talk to many..I just want to dine alone with my wife is all...

As for March 2017, first of all, remember that March is SPING BREAK time, so it's much more $$ and LOTS of kids & teens..2nd, do you have some preferences as to where to go? Eastern Caribb? Western or Southern Caribb? Mexico? Any preferences for specific cruise lines? If you can give me some specifics, I can give you some recommendations....good post!

Big Al

I'm surprised to find a quote from Big Al that suggests meeting new people with whom one has nothing in common is not one's "idea of a vacation." To me, it's the opposite. At work, all I meet every day are "people like me with whom I have everything in common." A vacation is an opportunity to meet new people, get new ideas, learn of wholly different lives, experiences and viewpoints.

On our last cruise we met wonderful people from all over the world; none of whom were like us. Very few, as a matter of fact, were from the United States, even though we did meet some delightful people from the US.

It's not that we don't enjoy meeting people like us, but a vacation is an opportunity to broaden our horizons, and we book tables with open seats so that we can do just that. That's am integral part of the vacation. No one likes to be stuck with blowhards who're going to tell you how to vote, which religion is best or bore you with tales of (pick one or more) how smart or rich she/he is, their kids/grandkids [we have 5 of both; so be prepared for mutually-assured destruction], their golf game, favorite football team or how to invest on a sure thing in the stock market. You don't have to leave Podunk to get the same old people, stories and interests like that.

We meet wonderful people who are not like us, and we hope to meet more.

I'm surprised to find a quote from Big Al that suggests meeting new people with whom one has nothing in common is not one's "idea of a vacation." To me, it's the opposite. At work, all I meet every day are "people like me with whom I have everything in common." A vacation is an opportunity to meet new people, get new ideas, learn of wholly different lives, experiences and viewpoints.

On our last cruise we met wonderful people from all over the world; none of whom were like us. Very few, as a matter of fact, were from the United States, even though we did meet some delightful people from the US.

It's not that we don't enjoy meeting people like us, but a vacation is an opportunity to broaden our horizons, and we book tables with open seats so that we can do just that. That's am integral part of the vacation. No one likes to be stuck with blowhards who're going to tell you how to vote, which religion is best or bore you with tales of (pick one or more) how smart or rich she/he is, their kids/grandkids [we have 5 of both; so be prepared for mutually-assured destruction], their golf game, favorite football team or how to invest on a sure thing in the stock market. You don't have to leave Podunk to get the same old people, stories and interests like that.

We meet wonderful people who are not like us, and we hope to meet more.

Have you ever had HORRIBLE tablemates at dinner? We have had quite a few- some who only complain about the ship or cruise..some who fight in front of us..PLUS, my wife is from Peru & speaks limited English, so much is lost..also, for 23 years I was A Pharma sales rep, and had to smile & talk to hundreds of nurses, doctors, & staff every day..I have met plenty of people on my 32 cruises..I not only go to all the Meet & Greets, but have organized five on my own when cruise lines won't for several reasons..BUT , for dinner, we prefer to dine alone ( yet on our last RCI cruise we talked to 3-4 couples also sitting at tables for 2, all night long..) we are cruising to Alaska in a few weeks with my sister-in-law and hubby from Peru, and they speak NO English, so we will be dining with them...different strokes for different folks.....

Big Al

On my first cruise, I booked an OV. On my second cruise, I insisted on a balcony. I loved it.... Loved, loved, loved it! But (and hopefully no one jumps me for saying this) I really and truly was never in the room long enough to justify booking it again. My best friend, however, that's where she stayed. She is hooked to balconies after that experience. On our third cruise, my best friend said we should try interior just to see. It is seriously the best sleep I've ever had! I have really bad insomnia. I still can't sleep in past 5 or 6 a.m. but I sleep sooooo good. So I've chosen interiors ever since.

I'll probably book a balcony on the cruises where my best friend is my cabin mate. Otherwise, it is interiors for me bc of the quality of sleep. :D Balconies are seriously great though! I agree with what everyone said. But I'm an on the go kind of person and my best friend is the type who knows how to really kick back and relax. Hehe I see both sides of the coin on this one. :)

I am the same exact way! We have been on 10 plus cruises and on most of them we have had a balcony. I just tried my first interior (bunks at that!) and I slept the best I have ever slept! Still love the balcony cabin but I am not against inside cabins AT ALL!!

I am the same exact way! We have been on 10 plus cruises and on most of them we have had a balcony. I just tried my first interior (bunks at that!) and I slept the best I have ever slept! Still love the balcony cabin but I am not against inside cabins AT ALL!!

I don't go on cruises to sleep..maybe some people do, not me..I go on a cruise FIRSTLY to be connected to the sea- to experience the whole salt air, waves, romance, moonlight at night, seeing the wonders of the sea thing- the only thing you experience in an inside cabin is darkness ( to sleep,lol..), and 4 walls..no thanks...my one experience in a 122 sf cabin was enough for me...if I can't go in balcony, then in the Seinfeld mode, "No cruise for you!"..lol...

Big Al

Big Al,

At first I was hesitant to spring for a Balcony, because I'm one of those that's only in the cabin to change & sleep. However that all changed last year ... we had booked a 5-night Western Caribbean cruise on RCCL's Brilliance of the Seas. When booking, I looked at Balcony prices, and surprisingly they were not a lot more than an OV with large window, so we splurged and took the balcony ... as the cruise had one full day underway, we figured it would be a place to sit & relax.

The cruise was out of Tampa, in March. Florida. March. Can anyone say, 'Spring Break'?

Now, while the eye-candy for both the wife and I was ... AWESOME ... let's just say that a bunch of drunk 19- & 20-somethings is not the demographic with which we usually hang. To give you an idea of our ages, our *youngest* daughter will be 25 this year.

Mornings on the cruise weren't bad - because all the kids were still passed out from the drinking & partying they had done the night before. (We're early risers - usually up by 6:30'ish even without an alarm.) But by noon the first of the zombies would start stirring, by 1:00 in the afternoon the bars were starting to fill and by 3:00-3:30 every open bar was three & four deep and filled with he cacophony that only a horde of drunk college students can create. (Which really sucked for me, as I don't drink alcohol & always purchase the soda package - and can only get my official cruise soda cup filled at a bar.)

If it wasn't for the Balcony, I would have been tremendously disappointed in the cruise. However, having that little piece of 'my own space' on the ship was a Godsend. I don't mind sitting & 'people watching' in crowds (note my comment about the young, hard-bodied 'eye-candy' above!) but when on vacation, I like to occasionally 'get away from it all' and just sit & read in peace & quiet. The balcony provided that option. I was able to see some of the marine life - dolphins dancing in the bow waves - and was also on the correct side when we came across and picked up some Cuban refugees afloat south of Cuba.

In short, I'll never cruise again without a balcony again ... for all the reasons you mentioned, and so many more.

Cheers!

I am also a Balcony cruiser for all the reasons above. We usually cruise with Carnival because our son likes the slides etc. However, I have been dying to go to Alaska and decided on doing a cruise as part of our trip. Holland America had much more to chose from in Alaska. The difference in price for windows vs balconies is ugly though. I originally booked a window cabin just to be able to afford Alaska. As I did more research on Alaskan cruises though I saw how many people spent all their time in their balconies enjoying the spectacular views and wildlife. I waited for a better price( though still high) and upgraded. I'm so excited! I love to sneak out on the balcony when my husband and son are still sleeping and have the ocean all to myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We love balconies and could never go back to a regular outside room. We enjoy spending time on our balcony. We usually cruise during our teens vacations from school, so the ships are usually very crowded. Our balcony is our little slice of paradise away from the crowds.

We love balconies and could never go back to a regular outside room. We enjoy spending time on our balcony. We usually cruise during our teens vacations from school, so the ships are usually very crowded. Our balcony is our little slice of paradise away from the crowds.

I agree..if you have only an inside cabin, you can hardly call it "paradise"...I love sitting out there either alone , or with my wife or friends, and yes, a little slice of paradise indeed!!

Big Al

Big Al,

Just wondering your thoughts on V34 on the Inspiration. I know it is an obstructed view but hey, a balcony is a balcony! By the way, I love your idea of bringing beads for the folks walking below! My husband is a HUGE people person and I think I will do this!

• 1 month later...
Big Al,

Just wondering your thoughts on V34 on the Inspiration. I know it is an obstructed view but hey, a balcony is a balcony! By the way, I love your idea of bringing beads for the folks walking below! My husband is a HUGE people person and I think I will do this!

I'm not big on obstructed views, sorry..I feel if you are going to get a balcony, get a balcony..I had an obstructed view once, and it just was soooo frustrating NOT to be able to see the whole sea & view...never again...BUT, if that's the only way you will get a balcony, then do it- but you won't get that "real" balcony experience IMO...it is your vacation...do it in style, if you can, don't worry so much about the $$, it's not that big a difference, usually..

Big Al

• 4 weeks later...

There is another "cheaper" option on some Carnival ships.. French Door cabins. Just a bit more than insides, and you can open the doors, feel the sea breeze, see a sliver of ocean, and feel connected to it too. Some have better views, although obstructed. It is a good option, if funds are tight. Yes, a balcony is better, but, just thought I would throw this out there. I've done the FD cabins, many times.

There is another "cheaper" option on some Carnival ships.. French Door cabins. Just a bit more than insides, and you can open the doors, feel the sea breeze, see a sliver of ocean, and feel connected to it too. Some have better views, although obstructed. It is a good option, if funds are tight. Yes, a balcony is better, but, just thought I would throw this out there. I've done the FD cabins, many times.

It is an option...Thanks for your input!!!

Big Al

• 4 weeks later...