Hotels on way to cruiseport - we are driving

mamamzee

It would sure help pin down something specific if you told us where in Florida you were starting out from, and what your concept of "a distance" entails. Under one hour away? Two? Three or more?

The I-95 corridor is entirely urban in most of South and Central Florida; rural interstate style hotels facing exit ramps are rare and the few in Broward or Palm Beach counties are not ones anyone would recommend. Only exception is in the FLL airport area; there are good (but not cheap if that's the real motivation behind your plan) motels at the Stirling Road and Sheridan Street exits. Puts you 45 to 60 minutes from PortMiami depending on traffic (or if a weekday vs. weekend).

If you are looking to stay well outside the Miami megalopolis Ft. Pierce/Jensen Beach are two hours away, Melbourne/Cocoa Beach two and a half plus.

Edited by fishywood

Thanks. We live in Jacksonville and are familiar with I95 down to about Port Canaveral. Know a little bit about FLL, having cruised out of there before. But, we know nothing about Miami or the Port of Miami.

I think your suggestion about the FLL airport is a good one. Then we can drive to the port early on the day we cruise.

We drove down from NC last year and stayed at the Marriott in Boca right off 95, I got a price line deal at 55$ for the night, Beutiful hotel, in a shopping area so we went to the panera around the corner and drove to the port.

We're coming from Ponte Vedra to Port Everglades next spring, and got a great Hotwire deal on the LQ Oceanfront in Cocoa Beach. I know that's further north than you were originally thinking, but it may be worth looking into. We wanted that far so we could go approximately halfway after work on Friday and still be up and refreshed at a decent hour to make the rest of the trip.

• 2 weeks later...