Dream - itinerary change, Pride of Panama

Dont seem to advise clients Santiago de Cuba taken off Atlantic Adventure in April 2016. Been told two different reasons 1. Brochure misprint ( dec14, april15 and website until july) 2. Operational issues . Still no official communication from Thomsons.

Santiago de Cuba and Holguin have also been taken off Cuban Revolution, still awaiting to be informed by Thomson!! I can understand having to change itinerary's due to operational reasons but there is absolutely no excuse not to inform customers. They manage to email me several times a week trying to sell me another holiday but seem incapable of sending something of importance.

found out about this by accident and am fuming. only booked because of the itenerary. phoned thomson - very unhelpful, said i would loose deposit if i cancelled as it is deemed by them to be "minimum change" Said they are contacting all clients who have booked - but no-one has contacted me yet. To make things worse thay have added Cozumel!

yes cuban revolution is now exactly the same as cuban fusion?

I feel for you guys… I wouldn’t describe this the small change? thats thoms are obviously hoping to get away with?

we have been on dream for the past couple of few christmases & ny and were tempted by the santiago de cuba stop on dream..... its nearer to the cuban beaches than havana

but...... we eventually decided to defect to celebration this christmas... we were put off the dreams ‘christmas at sea’ itinerary which has an overnight in mobay (mobay is fine... 2 days is pushing it?) 2 sea days and the notoriously difficult to dock in (possible extra sea day) costa maya & grand cayman a tender port (also difficult if the weather isnt just right)

the weather is notoriously unpredictable in this part of the caribbean

we missed out costa maya last year (and playa del carmen) san blas was dropped and substituted with the 'delightful' (sic) santa marta!

we weren’t prepared to spend nearly all of christmas at sea again .... ‘christmas at sea’ itinerary may turn out to be a very apt name:rolleyes:

found out about this by accident and am fuming. only booked because of the itinerary. phoned Thomson - very unhelpful, said i would loose deposit if i cancelled as it is deemed by them to be "minimum change" Said they are contacting all clients who have booked - but no-one has contacted me yet. To make things worse they have added Cozumel!

I too was told the same in an e-mail. No contact has yet been made since. I cannot understand how the changes to the Cuban Revolution itinerary can be deemed to be "minimum change". There were originally 4 ports of call and 2 of these have been changed. Is that not 50% or half for fraction fans?

To make matters worse our first weeks cruise also include Cozumel but at least in the second week we get to tender!!!

We like many booked the Cuban Revolution cruise because of the 3 Cuba ports. Not happy.

Len

We are booked for Atlantic Adventure on the Dream on 5 April 2016 for 25 nights.

A few weeks ago HCN1955 posted that Santiago de Cuba had been dropped from the itinerary. I had a look at the itinerary and posted the following as a possible reason for it being dropped:

"Could be because of the distance between Santiago de Cuba and Grand Turk that they have decided to drop it. Santiago de Cuba was a departure time of 15.00 with arrival next day of 10.00 at Grand Turk. Only a thought."

I know it's disappointing as we only booked for the itinerary, having done several TAs, but the time in port was basically only half a day if getting on and off the ship is taken into account and trips would get priority. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Also only booked this cruise due to Cuba itinerary and have now decided not to go. Have booked a Caribbean cruise with MSC instead. Have complained to Thomson & ABTA and will pursue the refund of our deposit, especially as we are now told the reason for cancelling the ports in Cuba is due to infrastructure concerns. If such concerns existed the cruise should never have been advertised.

especially as we are now told the reason for cancelling the ports in Cuba is due to infrastructure concerns. If such concerns existed the cruise should never have been advertised.

tbh? this could be down to the cubans? its not impossible (imo) for cuban officialdom to beleive/hope that they would have enough security/port services etc (& they would have been keen to bank the port taxes) and to then leave it for thoms to find out later weather it would be adequate/acceptable for their pax? (just a thought)

I have booked the Cuban Revolution/Pride of Panama cruise and contacted Thomson re itinerary change. Thomson were unable or unwilling to confirm that the itinerary had changed albeit accepting that itinerary on website had been amended. I was advised by Thomson rep on telephone that arrangements were being made to notify customers but that they had subsequently been told not to do so yet. Disgusted at way we are being treated by Thomson.

Also only booked this cruise due to Cuba itinerary and have now decided not to go. Have booked a Caribbean cruise with MSC instead. Have complained to Thomson & ABTA and will pursue the refund of our deposit, especially as we are now told the reason for cancelling the ports in Cuba is due to infrastructure concerns. If such concerns existed the cruise should never have been advertised.

Hello MazzyKn, what are the infrastructure concerns?

Smaller cruise ships than The Dream still appear to be calling at Santiago. However, regarding the tender port of Holguin (Guardalavaca) I thought had found another ship going there but now there is no trace, which may well be me imagining things!!!

Both areas appear to offer resort based holidays so there should be guides and tours etc.

I wonder where they refuel?

I hope you enjoy your MSC cruise and ABTA come up trumps.

Len

I wonder where they refuel?

they refuel in havana (i guess its cheap)

lack of port infrastructure could mean anything? harbour pilots/immigration officers/health screening/dockers/ baggage screening/fuel/fresh water/port security/tourist buses, english speaking guides/tax visa issues......

there is a lot of red tape attached to immigration/health screening/baggage screening ect in cuba

everything is state run, everything even the tourist infrastructure runs on the bare bones

it wouldnt surprise me in the least if cubans just didnt get everything ready in time

it happened in mobay last year a lack of buses from the airport meant that the first cruise arrivals had upto a 3 hour wait in a corridor (we were given £50obc) thoms wont be wanting to have do that again:rolleyes:

Below is the e-mail we received from Thomson last week. It is not specific regarding the infrastructure issues that caused the itinerary change. Expect this will be sent to all who have booked shortly.

"We're writing to give you some important news about your cruise holiday.

As you're probably aware, we plan our itineraries a long way in advance of the actual sailing date using the information available to us at the time. Sometimes, as your departure date gets closer, we find we need to update your schedule.

Last winter it was unusually windy in the Caribbean and Central America, which meant we missed some of our calls in San Blas. We have to put health and safety first, so we can’t call at scheduled destinations when the weather makes docking or tendering dangerous.

We also have some concerns about the infrastructure that would support our planned visits to Santiago de Cuba and Holguin.

With that in mind, we had to make a change our itineraries.

On the first week of your cruise, Santiago de Cuba and Holguin has been replaced with a call in Cozumel and a day at sea.

For the second week of your cruise, rather than take the risk of not being able to call in San Blas again this winter, we've replaced San Blas with the Colombian port of Santa Marta. We've also reversed the itinerary for your second week to maximise your time ashore.

Cozumel is a Mexican island just off the shore of Playa Del Carmen we can offer trips and tours to mainland Mexican attractions like Chichen Itza.

Santa Marta, meanwhile, is the oldest city in Colombia. Fringed by sandy beaches and backed by the Sierra Nevada mountain range, it's got good looks aplenty. A new marina provides a bit of glitz. And, away from the seafront, Spanish colonial charm is abundant.

In terms of things to do here, city tours, nature walks, coffee farm visits, and snorkelling will all be on the menu.

Your new itinerary looks like this…

Day Port Country Arrive Depart

1 Montego Bay Jamaica 20:00

2 At sea

3 Cozumel* Mexico 06:00 17:00

4 Havana Cuba 14:00

5 Havana Cuba 18:00

6 At Sea

7 Georgetown Grand Cayman 07:00 17:00

8 Montego Bay Jamaica 08:00 20:00

9 At Sea

10 Puerto Limon Costa Rica 10:00 19:00

11 Colon Panama 09:00 18:00

12 Cartagena Colombia 12:00 19:00

13 Santa Marta Colombia 09:00 17:00

14 At Sea

15 Montego Bay 08:00

By way of an apology for this change, we'd like to offer you £50 onboard spending money per adult – which will be credited to your onboard account when you join the ship.

We hope you understand the reasons behind this change, and that we've explained it clearly, but if you've got any questions you can either visit your local travel shop, chat to us on Facebook by visiting http://www.facebook.com/thomsoncruises or give us a call on 0800 009 3870.

We hope you have a fantastic time onboard."

tbh? this could be down to the cubans? its not impossible (imo) for cuban officialdom to beleive/hope that they would have enough security/port services etc (& they would have been keen to bank the port taxes) and to then leave it for thoms to find out later weather it would be adequate/acceptable for their pax? (just a thought)

Dear Geomagot

We were in Cuba (Havana) in January and the locals are desperate for tourists.

If the infrastructure or security was that bad, why was the Pope in Holguin today and Havana yesterday.

Cheers

Hi all!

Very interesting thread!:D

We're booked on the Pride of Panama Feb 2 & I'm pleased to hear Santa Marta is back on the itinerary as that's what was advertised in the package we booked.

As far as Cuba is concerned we've been on the Louis Cristal (now Celestyal Crystal) cruise the past 2 years that stopped in Montego Bay, Cienfuegos, Santiago de Cuba, Havana, Isla Juventud & Antilla (for Holguin). They've changed their schedule this year too omitting the last 2 ports but overnighting in Havana & adding another port near Vinales, a beautiful place.

I wonder if maybe there are too many ships going to Cuba now, more than they can handle.:confused:

Not very nice of Thomson not to notify everyone of the changes.:(

~ Jo ~ :)

Dear Geomagot

We were in Cuba (Havana) in January and the locals are desperate for tourists.

If the infrastructure or security was that bad, why was the Pope in Holguin today and Havana yesterday.

Cheers

dunno? maybe the pope has more influence than thomsons.... divine influence;)

I wonder if maybe there are too many ships going to Cuba now, more than they can handle.:confused:

that would be my guess too? santiago de cuba is still recovering after being destroyed by hurricane sandy in 2012

cuba is changing fast and they want to keep up ... but marxist regimes are not known for their ability to adapt

Edited by geomagot

Below is the e-mail we received from Thomson last week. It is not specific regarding the infrastructure issues that caused the itinerary change. Expect this will be sent to all who have booked shortly.

"We're writing to give you some important news about your cruise holiday.

As you're probably aware, we plan our itineraries a long way in advance of the actual sailing date using the information available to us at the time. Sometimes, as your departure date gets closer, we find we need to update your schedule.

Last winter it was unusually windy in the Caribbean and Central America, which meant we missed some of our calls in San Blas. We have to put health and safety first, so we can’t call at scheduled destinations when the weather makes docking or tendering dangerous.

We also have some concerns about the infrastructure that would support our planned visits to Santiago de Cuba and Holguin.

With that in mind, we had to make a change our itineraries.

On the first week of your cruise, Santiago de Cuba and Holguin has been replaced with a call in Cozumel and a day at sea.

For the second week of your cruise, rather than take the risk of not being able to call in San Blas again this winter, we've replaced San Blas with the Colombian port of Santa Marta. We've also reversed the itinerary for your second week to maximise your time ashore.

Cozumel is a Mexican island just off the shore of Playa Del Carmen we can offer trips and tours to mainland Mexican attractions like Chichen Itza.

Santa Marta, meanwhile, is the oldest city in Colombia. Fringed by sandy beaches and backed by the Sierra Nevada mountain range, it's got good looks aplenty. A new marina provides a bit of glitz. And, away from the seafront, Spanish colonial charm is abundant.

In terms of things to do here, city tours, nature walks, coffee farm visits, and snorkelling will all be on the menu.

Your new itinerary looks like this…

Day Port Country Arrive Depart

1 Montego Bay Jamaica 20:00

2 At sea

3 Cozumel* Mexico 06:00 17:00

4 Havana Cuba 14:00

5 Havana Cuba 18:00

6 At Sea

7 Georgetown Grand Cayman 07:00 17:00

8 Montego Bay Jamaica 08:00 20:00

9 At Sea

10 Puerto Limon Costa Rica 10:00 19:00

11 Colon Panama 09:00 18:00

12 Cartagena Colombia 12:00 19:00

13 Santa Marta Colombia 09:00 17:00

14 At Sea

15 Montego Bay 08:00

By way of an apology for this change, we'd like to offer you £50 onboard spending money per adult – which will be credited to your onboard account when you join the ship.

We hope you understand the reasons behind this change, and that we've explained it clearly, but if you've got any questions you can either visit your local travel shop, chat to us on Facebook by visiting http://www.facebook.com/thomsoncruises or give us a call on 0800 009 3870.

We hope you have a fantastic time onboard."

many thanks for posting this ... v interesting

thomsons have basically said that the weather is unpredictable in that part of the caribbean... i would agree with that statement ... we spent last christmas mainly at sea or in cozumel due to weather issues... rather disappointing

and they are saying (between the lines) that some of the ports infrastructure/support is not up to an acceptable standard for them, thomsons are probably governed by a myriad of (westernised) guidelines/laws/restrictions & best practice’s put in place for the security and health of their passengers/crew/ship to which they have no choice but to adhere too, if the cubans cant supply adequate port facilities then thoms cant risk going there (litigation)

Regardless of the operational, infrastructure and officialdom issues Thomson must have been aware of the majority of these before their fanfare announcement of enhanced Cuba cruises.

The treatment of their customers is extremely poor (they cannot even be bothered to send a timely letter or e-mail) and their OBC (£50pp) derogatory compared to what other cruise companies do e.g OBC, cabin upgrades etc.

Thomson's are giving returning customers more reasons to go elsewhere.

Len

Thomson's are giving returning customers more reasons to go elsewhere.

Len

when you tick that box to say that you have read the t&c you are agreeing to accept that your itinerary may be changed at short or no notice for any reason or even for no reason?…. All the cruise lines do this not just thoms

i sympathise honestly i do, we were v tempted by the cuban revolution itinerary too, even without the Santiago de cuba stop its still a good itinerary, havana is a must see so is chichen itza

I fully agree about ticking the box on the original booking but Thomson in my view do not give their customers the degree of flexibility to cancel or re-booking, upgrades, OBC etc. Why??? Profit?

Incidentally we have been issued with a replacement invoice. I have not ticked the box on this and given 2 ports have been amended this is a material change and customers should be given the opportunity of free cancellation or booking another holiday.

Once a customer has ticked the box can they then say there are not 5 ports of call in a 7 night cruise but 1. Can they say for operational reasons that their ship will stay in the harbour for a week?

Re the Cuban Revolution they are also not stopping at Holguin. Our first weeks cruise is the Mayan Treasures which also includes Cozumel. Given Cozumel is the replacement for a Cuban port and Costa Maya is also on the Mayan Treasures itinerary given foul weather we may have enough time in Cozumel to qualify to vote in their local elections.

Happy days

Len

agree len.... yes their customer services could do with some 'sorting' cuban revolution turning into cuban fusion is not a small change imo they should at least allow people to rebook something else without having to pay any extra fees

but what i am saying really is..... the dreams ex Jamaica itineraries are fraught with difficulties (they were last year)

they do try to get into ports and stick to the schedule but sometimes its out of their control

some ports are known to be tricky to get into especially in western caribbean

costa maya (nearby huge sandbank) ditto roatan

playa del carmen (weather can change very quickly within minutes)

grand cayman (needs dredging but that will destroy the swimming with stingrays cash bonanza)

san blas (notorious for ferocious trade winds and unpredictable currents)

we had an overnight in cozumel (missed pdc) then we were back in cozumel again the following week

we had an unscheduled sea day (missed costa maya) (as well as the 2 scheduled ones per week)

roatan was a late arrival but we made it into port (phew)

we arrived in havana about 1.30pm but by the time they had done the: ebola check/passport check/baggage screening/security screening and queued for local currency it was 5pm before we stepped into havana old town

san blas was substituted long before we embarked for the cruise (they didnt let us know formally) santa marta is a disappointing substitute for san blas imo (others may disagree)

other cruises had overnights in colon! (not the prettiest of ports for an overnight) and missed out the beautiful costa rica

all this is what has put us off booking ex jamaica this year… we’ve booked celebration

Edited by geomagot

Called in at the local Thomson travel agent branch in April looking for a holiday to incorporate Cuba and America, TA advised travel between Cuba and America not ideal, picked up Thomson cruise bruchure and noticed Cuban Revolution cruise calling at three places in Cuba!!! looked online and several cruise booking companys Iglu being one also advertising this cruise, Thomson itinerary stated one full day at Santigo de Cuba and one full day at Holguin, one day at sea which showed the ship sailing anti-clockwise round the Eastern side of Cuba to Havana arriving at 08:00-23:59 on Saturday and also in Havana Sunday 00:01-01:00.

on the Iglu site the itinerary for this cruise showed it only stopping at Santigo de Cuba and not Holguin and travelling up to Havana on the western side 2 days at sea and then Havana! I contacted the TA to query this they contacted head office and assured us the itinerary was as per Thomson brochure (I have this on email) to make extra sure as the new brochure was due out we waited for the new brochure it also showed the oringinal itinerary, and as the TA reminded me it was a Thomson ship and cruise so they would be the ones to know! so with that assurance we booked.

Friday we received an email to say the itinerary had changed no Santiago de Cuba no Holguin just Havana and time there greatly reduced only arriving at 14:23 and departing at 18:00 the day after, Cozumel has been added (been twice already) and an extra 'at sea' we would never have even contemplated this cruise, the Cuban Fusion is virtually the same as this now and we had ruled that one out previously.

This is a very major change and it would seem that the itinerary shown in several editions of the Thomson brochure and on the website was never a reality,and feel we have been deceived and misled, we have of course contacted our TA to request a cancellation without loss, so far we have not been granted this.

I agree that of course cruise itineraries are subject to variation for all sorts of reasons, and have been subjected to these in the past. There must however be a line drawn as to what constitutes a change of itinerary and what is a significant change to the cruise that was advertised and booked. Cruises are covered by package holiday regulations and regulations 12 and 13 of the package travel regulations state that if a significant change is made to the holiday before departure, then the customer should be allowed a refund or to book an alternative. Had Thomson's offered we may have considered transferring to the Celebration, by not doing so, they have lost us a customer.