Tipping at Portofino's

threeofus

we went loved our dinner but did not get anything no wine, etc.. we were told by the waiter that the fee included the tip and so we did not leave anything extra, now had we asked for lots of stuff, lots of drinks etc.. we prob would have left extra... but in answer to your question teh tip is included in the fee and is not expected.

Our waitress at Portofino says that they get only $3 from your $20 surcharge. Their service and food was so good that it would be a crime to not give them something extra. It's four star food and service so paying a twenty dollar tip on top of the surcharge seemed fair and reasonable.

Thank you all for your replies. We were on RCL a while ago and the alternative restaurants were 12.00 pp at that time. At 12.00pp I would expect to leave a tip .... at 20.00 pp I wasn't sure what was expected.

Yup...it was 12.00 - first year of VOS and first year of EOS.

No need to tip, its included in the $20.

Considering that the waitstaff gets only 3 bucks of that 20, I personally, couldn't show my face there again if I didn't leave them something more for the superior service. They are head and shoulders above the normal dining room staff and yet they probably get tipped far less.

We went to both Portofinos and Chops on Navigator in 11/03. We felt the service was so excellent at both thatwe left about $50 additional for a table of four. Lots of hand service. Chops was a little better but I think that was mostly because the restaurant wasn't very crowded. - we ended up with about four waiters. We went on formal night which I think was also lobster night in main dining room.

Considering that the waitstaff gets only 3 bucks of that 20, I personally, couldn't show my face there again if I didn't leave them something more for the superior service. They are head and shoulders above the normal dining room staff and yet they probably get tipped far less.

glad feel that way but brad is correct the 20.00 includes the tip so there is no need to tip, if you do tip extra that is great....

glad feel that way but brad is correct the 20.00 includes the tip so there is no need to tip, if you do tip extra that is great....

That's right. But technically, you don't have to tip anybody else on the ship as the guidelines are merely "suggestions". That doesn't mean that I'm going to stiff anybody else either. It's horrible to receive that superior service and food knowing that the staff receives only $3 of the $20 surcharge as a tip.

We gave the waiter $20.00 - in cash, not on the seapass card. Our service in Chops was really wonderful - alot of special attention. We also never felt rushed to get through our meal. Sometimes waiters hover around your table and you feel like they are just waiting to jerk your salad plate away at the very second you put the last bite to your mouth or sometimes trying to take your plate before you've finished. None of that at Chops. It was a wonderful dining experience and the food was excellent.

Since more of my cruising experience has been on Disney, I have posted and read more at http://www.disboards.com than here, and there are many threads with comparable discussions there for tipping at Disney's optional/fee restaurant, Palo. Though their fee is lower, the amount the servers receive is an even lower percentage than the $3 out of $20 mentioned here. Now, $3 a day for a server is somewhere near what the regular dining room server gets, plus he/she has an assistant, and serves many more heads, and the service--hopefully--is much more personalized and attentive at Portofino or Chops. So the technicality is correct--there is a tip included in the $20--but it is sub-standard, IMHO, if you have a superior experience, and an extra amount would be very appropriate--though, no, not required--to be added onto the check you sign at the end of the meal.

So its called a "seapass" on RCI? I'd forgotten and have booked my upcoming cruises w/o a brochure to read such details. Same system, different name, on the other lines, so at least I'll know how it works even if I don't know what it is called!!

We always leave extra - usually $10 PP. They do a great job and give you the attention you would get in a 5 star restaurant. It is only money and you are on Vacation. These people for the most part need this money to send home to the family. That extra $10 PP can mean the world to them.

Since more of my cruising experience has been on Disney, I have posted and read more at http://www.disboards.com than here, and there are many threads with comparable discussions there for tipping at Disney's optional/fee restaurant, Palo. Though their fee is lower, the amount the servers receive is an even lower percentage than the $3 out of $20 mentioned here. Now, $3 a day for a server is somewhere near what the regular dining room server gets, plus he/she has an assistant, and serves many more heads, and the service--hopefully--is much more personalized and attentive at Portofino or Chops. So the technicality is correct--there is a tip included in the $20--but it is sub-standard, IMHO, if you have a superior experience, and an extra amount would be very appropriate--though, no, not required--to be added onto the check you sign at the end of the meal.

So its called a "seapass" on RCI? I'd forgotten and have booked my upcoming cruises w/o a brochure to read such details. Same system, different name, on the other lines, so at least I'll know how it works even if I don't know what it is called!!

I gotta believe that the service staff at Portofino, Chops, etc. somehow makes as much or more than the service staff in the main dining room. These are, after all, premium restaurants with premium service. One would think wait staff here most times has worked their way up the ranks, and earned the assignment in the premium restaurant.

Former Goalie,

You have to have this right. There is NO way that they are only making $3 a table. There has to be some kind of split with the dining room staff that is taking place. I wouldn't shed any tears about not tipping, however, if I thought their personalities and service warranted some additional coin, I personally would not hesitate to throw them some greenbacks.

Everybody has a different opinion and wallet size. Do what makes you feel good. Most of all...if they are trying hard, treat them with respect. My wife used to work on RCI ships...the staff busts their Axxes.

Our waitress at Portofino says that they get only $3 from your $20 surcharge.
Of course she should you that. She was guilting you into leaving her more. You fell for one of the oldest tricks in the book. She knows if she tells customers a small amount they will feel guilty and leave more. Servers are not stupid by any stretch of the imagination. I would never take the word of one waitress or one poster either. If it makes you feel better, tip all you want, not because some waitress told you she ONLY made $3 on the service charge.

Even still, considering the charge is $20, $3 would be exactly 15%. Don't know why anyone feels this is "awful".

Archived