Family Suite: 3 adults & 2 toddlers ???

frawnsay

Greetings! My family is looking to book a cruise in the Caribbean. Our party consists of my husband and I, our two boys (ages 4 & almost 6 when cruising), and my mother-in-law...all to celebrate her retirement from teaching 30+ years!

I am interested in the family suites (2 bedrooms & sofa beds) for our group. With our party, from your experience, is this feasible and recommended? We truly like the children's programs with RC and wish to sail with this company. Only have X to compare.

Any input/advice/opinions are welcomed. Thank you! Happy Sailing!

m

Have you narrowed it down to a certain ship? It will make a difference.

For example-- I am going to attached 2 pics of a family suite on Brilliance of the Seas that I toured on our cabin crawl. I think it is similar on all of the Radiance class. You will see that it is really one big room with an alcove that has a lower berth and a pullman that can come down from the ceiling. [not down in the photo] there is certainly enough room--a nice large cabin. But, not much privacy.

Not all family suites are equal. [yes, some are 2 bedroom] So, make sure you know what you are getting on a particular ship. :)

IMG_6480.jpg.2c66b9417906b2b6eb86e77958a7fd78.jpg

IMG_6481.jpg.f16c298db7189741e0f056ef4211874c.jpg

We have been in the two room suites several times. The two rooms are NOT equal - the "master" bedroom has a much bigger closet, its own dressing table, and its own bathroom. The other bedroom can hold up to 4 people but they need to use the bathroom that is out in the main sitting area, and the dressing table/mirror out there too.

The sofa bed is out in the sitting area as well.

We did it once with 6 people, my parents, my 2 kids and my husband and I. It did not feel as though the people using the 2nd bedroom should pay an equal amount if that makes sense?

We have also done it with just my family of 4 and it was wonderful - since we were paying for the kids - they didn't complain and didn't mind the bathroom and the closet.

Edited by MNfamilycruiser

Thanks for the heads up on the style of rooms and bedrooms. I was looking for a two bedroom style (master, 2nd, and use the sofa for the kiddos). We want a balcony (obviously, the bigger the better). Wondering if booking two balcony rooms would be better for space, privacy, and balconies.

We are paying for my MIL, so splitting costs doesn't matter this trip ;)

She is wanting to see Mayan ruins, so I looked at Caribbean sailings that had the family, two-bedroom suites. All that I could find were sailings out of Tampa for 5 nights that included Cozumel, Mexico. If my search has excluded possible opportunities, don't hesitate to point me in the right direction!

We were in a Royal Family Suite just recently. It sounds like what you are looking for. It has 2 bedrooms with a huge balcony. We only had 3 in our room but it worked well for us. There was lots of storage too. We enjoyed the suite benefits as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the heads up on the style of rooms and bedrooms. I was looking for a two bedroom style (master, 2nd, and use the sofa for the kiddos). We want a balcony (obviously, the bigger the better). Wondering if booking two balcony rooms would be better for space, privacy, and balconies.

She is wanting to see Mayan ruins, so I looked at Caribbean sailings that had the family, two-bedroom suites. All that I could find were sailings out of Tampa for 5 nights that included Cozumel, Mexico. If my search has excluded possible opportunities, don't hesitate to point me in the right direction!

With the current BOGO half off you might be better off getting two rooms. With all in one room only the 2nd adult gets half off - the 3rd, 4th and 5th all pay the same rate. But you would have to list one of the kids as being in your mil's room and you would have to get a room that could sleep 4 of you.

You can't book the 2 room suites online, so it can be difficult to see if any are really even available unless you call RC or a TA.

Other considerations- the 2 room suite counts as a suite - so you all get double cruise points and you get all the benefits of being in the suite - concierge lounge and the rest. You can search the boards here to find out what that all includes.

Also - the 2 room suite is BIG! It has a big balcony, dining table, the whole sitting/sofa area gives lots of space to spread out. It really is nice if you want to be able to spend time all together rather than in 2 separate rooms/balconies - the dividers between can't be opened on many (most?) of the ships even if adjacent.

Lots of options to consider. Often the minimum for booking the RFS is higher than five.

Two connecting balconies is one possibility. There are also suites (both Junior Suite and Grand Suite) that connect to a balcony cabin. Then you are basically creating your own Family Suite.

Voyager class and Freedom class and Oasis class would have quite a few of these potential combinations. And these are the ships that I think your family would enjoy the most.

We were in a Royal Family Suite just recently. It sounds like what you are looking for. It has 2 bedrooms with a huge balcony. We only had 3 in our room but it worked well for us. There was lots of storage too. We enjoyed the suite benefits as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, it was called a Royal Family Suite on one of the ships we were on, a Two Room Suite on the Radiance and Serenade

Melinda, starting in November, the Navigator of the Seas will be sailing out of Miami. Some of her cruises will include Cozumel, and shorter than 7 nights, so less expensive and your MIL can get to see her Mayan sites. :)

I would really look at 2 connecting rooms, that would give you 2 bathrooms, more sq ft (I think) and might be cheaper. We are a family of 6 but low maintenance and I still would not want just one bathroom. On our upcoming Freedom cruise 2 connecting were much cheaper. No suite benefits though.

On the Mayan ruins, be aware that the decent ruins (Chichen Itza, Tulum, and our favorite Coba) are on the mainland. Cozumel is an island so going to the ruins involves a ferry and a long bus ride each way. It is a loooong day especially with kids that age. I generally don't even consider booking excursions through the cruise line but probably would in this case. You may want to look at Costa Maya, that would only involve a bus ride. (Maybe you know this already :) )

Edited by Pedal/Paddle

I've stayed in 2 bedroom family suites many times.

They are fantastic. Remember they are suites so you get all the perks of a suite. The lounge room is usually quite large and the balcony is also large.

I use it with my Dad so it is all about the social interaction for him. we all have our own spaces but he gets the benefit of living in a house together.

Highly recommend it.

Raina

I would really look at 2 connecting rooms, that would give you 2 bathrooms, more sq ft (I think) and might be cheaper. We are a family of 6 but low maintenance and I still would not want just one bathroom. On our upcoming Freedom cruise 2 connecting were much cheaper. No suite benefits though.

The Royal Family Suite has two bathrooms, one with a full tub and shower over, the second with a shower only. We use these rooms all the time with a family of 5 plus MIL (so 6 altogether) and it has always been great for us. With small children my opinion is that it is ideal. Now our children are older teens, I'll probably look for other options after the next cruise (we are booked into the RFS again for the next cruise) as that 2nd bedroom is a bit on the small size for three teenagers.

The size of the balcony depends on the ship. Some of the RFS balconies on Vision class for example are tiny, so if this is important to you check first.

Edited by abo

OP said Family suite, you say ROYAL family suite. Are these not different? I thought there was an option with only one bathroom when we were booking this upcoming cruise. Sorry if I am wrong and causing confusion. :o

The family suites that have one bathroom are interior, oceanview and Promenade.

The "true" family suites are the Royal Family Suites, or RFS. Some ships have renamed them Two Room Suites or TS. Same accommodations.

Do you have to sail from Tampa? And are you limited to a 5 night cruise? I ask because there are some wonderful Mayan ruins in Belize. Out of Galveston there is the 7 night Honduras/Belize/Cozumel itinerary. Lamanai is in Belize and it was wonderful. A long day but I truly enjoyed it. I've heard good things about Xunantunich (also in Belize) as well. I believe its possible to do this same itinerary from Florida, but I could be wrong.

Edited by tlatrice

The family suites that have one bathroom are interior, oceanview and Promenade.

The "true" family suites are the Royal Family Suites, or RFS. Some ships have renamed them Two Room Suites or TS. Same accommodations.

Yes - we have booked these same suites 3 times. The first time, on Adventure I believe, it was called a Royal Family Suite. The exact same room, same layout was called a Two Room Suite on Radiance and Serenade.

Do you have to sail from Tampa? And are you limited to a 5 night cruise? I ask because there are some wonderful Mayan ruins in Belize. Out of Galveston there is the 7 night Honduras/Belize/Cozumel itinerary. Lamanai is in Belize and it was wonderful. A long day but I truly enjoyed it. I've heard good things about Xunantunich (also in Belize) as well. I believe its possible to do this same itinerary from Florida, but I could be wrong.

No, we don't have to leave Tampa. In my brief search on the RCI website, that was all I could find.

Galveston was a headache for my husband and I. Flying in, getting to Galveston, accommodations while there...I felt as if it was a "gotcha" moment. Perhaps our experience was rare, but it remains recent and still a bit raw. I won't go into it more, as I would like to try to stay positive. Galveston is a fun city, but we're hoping to try a different port.

i just upgraded to the RFS on the Freedom for just my wife and myself.They released it from the mandatory 5 person limit.Maybe to big for 2 of us but always wanted to try an aft balcony.Were really excited.

Did someone say, "AFT," ?!?!:D

Yes, every 2 room suite or royal family suite we have been in has been an aft balcony...BUT we book very early. I booked our future Norwegian Fjord cruise the day it came out :D We have a corner aft 2 room suite.

So, in your experience, instead of cruising spring 2017 (our proposed time frame), we should look at fall 2016--just for an idea of what *could* happen. And then as soon as fall 2017 dates are released, POUNCE!?

No, we don't have to leave Tampa. In my brief search on the RCI website, that was all I could find.

Galveston was a headache for my husband and I. Flying in, getting to Galveston, accommodations while there...I felt as if it was a "gotcha" moment. Perhaps our experience was rare, but it remains recent and still a bit raw. I won't go into it more, as I would like to try to stay positive. Galveston is a fun city, but we're hoping to try a different port.

It is harder when you are looking for a specific week, many of the ships alternate itineraries. I don't know how you searched, but if you put in a specific port stop you wanted to make you might have also limited results.

So, in your experience, instead of cruising spring 2017 (our proposed time frame), we should look at fall 2016--just for an idea of what *could* happen. And then as soon as fall 2017 dates are released, POUNCE!?

I have done some of each...the first time we just happened to get that room with 6 of us. For Alaska, I didn't get it immediately, but still pretty far ahead...just under a year maybe. For our upcoming Norwegian Fjords, we were limited on the weeks we could sail, and I knew that stateroom was wonderful for us, so I booked the day it was released.

It depends on how flexible you are in timing, whether the time is very popular with families etc.

UPDATE:

We are looking at Allure in early February. We have two scenarios...

(A) two side-by-side JS

(B) a RFS beside a JS

The price difference between the two scenarios is $1100 total, or an average of about $30pp/night.

Though the booking will be 3 in one cabin and 2 in the other, our family of 4 will be in one suite with my MIL by herself in the other.

Is a JS big enough for a family of 4 with two young kids (nearly 4 and 6 when we set sail)? Or would you recommend the RFS (two bedroom, two bathroom, large balcony)?

UPDATE:

We are looking at Allure in early February. We have two scenarios...

(A) two side-by-side JS

(B) a RFS beside a JS

The price difference between the two scenarios is $1100 total, or an average of about $30pp/night.

Though the booking will be 3 in one cabin and 2 in the other, our family of 4 will be in one suite with my MIL by herself in the other.

Is a JS big enough for a family of 4 with two young kids (nearly 4 and 6 when we set sail)? Or would you recommend the RFS (two bedroom, two bathroom, large balcony)?

IMHO you won't need the JS with the RFS. If your MIL needs a room for herself your children can share the sofa bed. If you book two JS they will have to sleep on a smaller sofa bed. The problem with booking your MIL on a JS is that she won't have suite privileges, like using the Concierge Lounge and dining in Costal Kitchen. Hope this helps.:)

Edited by drarill