Be careful using Three UK "Feel at Home" whilst onboard

I did a Med cruise in July and all the countries I visited (France, Italy and Spain) are included in their "Feel at Home" programme where you can use your normal phone allowance whilst abroad.

When on the "CellularAtSea" ship network I kept getting texts (several!) to tell me it was included too - it's NOT!!

Thankfully I knew it wasn't from going on previous cruises. I have tried contacting Three on several occasions and they just keep coming back saying I'm not getting a refund?! I haven't asked for one as thankfully I didn't use the supposedly free minutes!!

I made them aware that this is an error on their system that they clearly don't want to acknowledge or fix. I've even kept the messages from July as I'm adamant they are unfairly charging customers!

Be aware as Three seem happy enough for people to end up with a big bill courtesy of their error. Am in the process of complaining to Ofcom now.

I got caught out by this on our last cruise

The night before disembarkation in Venice we were in sight of land.

I checked the mobile signal and it was showing ITAL 3's partner in Italy.

I thought great I can reserve my seats on BA but half way through the process

I must of moved out of range and it reverted to ship and a couple of seconds later a text informing me of charges.

When I checked my bill £10.60 for 1.67MB of data:mad:

Lesson learned

If the contact you got from Three was misleading and wrong and they refuse to recognise that, can I ask that you refer it to Ofcom to get it sorted?

It's probably not the sort of thing they would spot themselves, but as you point out it could potentially be a big trap for some people and perhaps they need to give Three a healthy poke.

Edited by Chunky2219

Thanks for the heads-up. I would have fallen for this too. I had to deal with Ofgem over a disagreement with an energy company recently, so I know the criteria they use in making their decision is, what did the contract state? It is a reasonable charge? Have the company made a proper attempt to resolve the problem? Based on all of those, I think there is a good chance that Ofcom will rule in your favour. Going to the media would probably help too. BBC radio 4's You and Yours run stories like this. They contact the company concerned and ask a representive to comment and they follow things up a bit for the customer!

Will you keep us informed of your progress on this thread so that we get email reminders?

Good luck!

Whats "Three uk"?

On a similar note I once ran up a +£400 vodafone bill by accepting calls in the Cayman Islands - I had charges from various island networks including cayman, Bahamas and Jamaica.

I called Vodafone and they told me as a "one time only" they would drop the charges - as I had genuinely not known it cost me money to take incoming calls. (I know - seems a bit DUUUUUH now huh :o )

Lesson learned.

When I get on the ship I pull the battery out and throw it in the safe -

Who need's a phone on vacation anyway huh :)

Although I am wondering about Vodafone's new world thingy going on - same as EuroTraveller - anyone else used this in ports outside the EU?

Edited by Blondie008

• 1 year later...