Trying to decide between two cruises..

MaiTaiMary

We have a deposit down on a cruise, but now I'm wondering if we should change it.

I have two cruises in mind. My head is spinning with numbers and amenities and ports, etc. etc. Just wondering if somebody else could give their opinion and maybe put a fresh look at these cruises. :)

Which do you think would be a better option for us?

We are a family of 5. Mom, dad, and 3 kids.

A. 7 night Breeze cruise

-Western Caribbean

-Mom and dad have been to these ports before (and loved them)

-We would have two inside cabins

B. 11 night Vista cruise

-Southern Caribbean

-Out of New York in November (cold??)

-All brand new ports for the family (Grand Turk, Bonaire, Aruba, St. Maarten)

-six sea days (which I love)

-airfare would be more since it's in/out of two different cities

-We would share ONE Ocean View Family Harbor Suite for 5 ( :eek: )

The 11 night Vista cruise is more expensive, but still in our price range. I don't like the idea of flying out of the East Coast in November. I like sundresses, shorts, and tank tops on my cruise! Yet, the idea of sailing on the brand new Vista sounds awesome. On the other hand, we've never been on a ship like the Breeze and that too, would be an incredible ship. We would have two inside cabins on the Breeze, though. I always sail with a balcony and I'm afraid I would feel like I was in a closet all week. We really enjoyed the ports on the Western Caribbean, but I like the idea of seeing different places.

*sigh* Ahhhh first world problems. What to do, what to do. :D

Both cruises are filling up quickly, so if we were to change, we need to do it soon.

Thanks for reading my ramblings! :)

For me it's a "NO BRAINER"! :D

I say "LONGER IS BETTER" any time!

If you can swing the 11-day, GO FOR IT!

EVERY Reason you mentioned is a HUGE plus: New ports, Sea Days, Suite, NEW SHIP, etc...

Sailing out of NY is a wonderful experience!

Throw a sweater on as you sail out past the NY City skyline for a once-in-a-lifetime view, then get your "summer clothes" ready as it gets warmer every day!

Plus, the Southern Caribbean itinerary beats the tired old Western one any time! Lots of time for sun and beaches in new. exciting ports for your family!

YOU SOLD ME! HAHA!

The gratuities for 11 days for the entire family would keep me from taking a cruise that long with my kids.

Yes. Gratuities add up so quickly with a family of five! The Vista is still within our budget, but we might have to eat rice & beans for the rest of the year. :D

For me, hands down, would be the Vista. The room sleeps 5 so it shouldn't feel TOO cramped, right? LOL

It's a once in a lifetime expense. Right? Then again, I have no kids so I only speak out of selfishness!

Mary,

We have an awesome roll call for the Vista Repo (if that helps you decide).

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2166599&page=37

Here's the group website, so you can see everything we have planned: https://sites.google.com/site/vistarepocruisetomiami/home

Hope you join us!

Can any of you New Yorkers give me the heads up with the mid-November weather? I'm a Southern California native. I'm used to shorts year round. :cool: I just can't picture a cruise where we're sailing out of cold weather. :(

What is the weather usually like mid-November in NY? It's not (*gasp*) snowing, is it??

I wish I could get feedback about the Family Harbor Lounge. One of the disadvantages of sailing on a new ship, I guess. :D

It seems like that would be a great way to get the kids out of the cabin for a bit if say, DH and I were getting ready for dinner and the kids were just hanging out in the cabin. If I could shoo them off to the lounge for 45 minutes or so, that really sounds like it would help a lot! Five of us in one cabin does NOT sound appealing.

Mary,

We have an awesome roll call for the Vista Repo (if that helps you decide).

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2166599&page=37

Here's the group website, so you can see everything we have planned: https://sites.google.com/site/vistarepocruisetomiami/home

Hope you join us!

Awesome! Thank you!

BTW, what is your affiliation with soccer? :)

Hi Mary,

The Vista hands down!!

However, the only aspect that concerns me is the massive crew change THAT WILL be taking place from November 3rd to November 5th when the Vista reaches New York and docked there for 2 days. I realize the Journeys sailing you would be on would be the sailing after that, just concerned about that large crew change & possible issues for the following week or two. The crew change is going to be huge. Having said that, Carnival has put a lot of thought & planning into the Journeys sailings & Carnival has wonderful crew fleetwide. Just hope everything would be up to par..

:)

Edited by ObstructedView2

Can any of you New Yorkers give me the heads up with the mid-November weather? I'm a Southern California native. I'm used to shorts year round. :cool: I just can't picture a cruise where we're sailing out of cold weather. :(

What is the weather usually like mid-November in NY? It's not (*gasp*) snowing, is it??

I'm a native Noo Yawker and I've lived in the Bronx, Rockland, Westchester and Orange Counties, all downstate for all of my 64+ years. My BDay is in the middle of November, and I'd say average temps have been high 50's, low 60's for most of my BDays. It has never snowed on my BDay, while I do recall some once at Thanksgiving that mostly melted as soon as it came down.

We really don't start getting cold weather until the end of December, and then January and February can be downright frigid.

BTW, I'm on that Nov 16 Vista sailing, and it'll be great sailing down the Hudson as the Manhattan skyline goes by: Chrysler Bldg, Empire State, the new Freedom Towers will be on the port side while the Statue of Liberty can be viewed on the starboard side.

You won't be able to sunbathe at sailaway, but an autumn afternoon in NYC at that time of the year is generally pretty darn nice.

Edited by evandbob

MaiTai Mary, sounds like you answered your own dilemma. From reading your remarks, sounds like the Vista would be your best bet, despite flying in the cold winter. That's a small price to pay for a) longer cruise; b) better quarters; c) new ports; and best of all d) brand new ship!

Whichever you choose, have a wonderful time planning and a great cruise when the time comes!

BTW, I'm on that Nov 16 Vista sailing, and it'll be great sailing down the Hudson as the Manhattan skyline goes by: Chrysler Bldg, Empire State, the new Freedom Towers will be on the port side while the Statue of Liberty can be viewed on the starboard side.

OMG, you guys are totally selling me on this cruise!!! May need to have a talk with hubby this weekend.... :D

If I were picking I would choose the Breeze because I don't like cruising in colder weather. If you don't mind the cold weather go with the Vista.

I DON'T want to cruise in colder weather. That IS big for me.

The ship leaves 4:00p. By Day #4 9:00a, it's in Grand Turk. Just wondering how long the weather would be cold. I wouldn't think it would be cold for very many of the 11 days. Maybe 1 or 2 days as it sails south. (??)

You won't be able to sunbathe at sailaway, but an autumn afternoon in NYC at that time of the year is generally pretty darn nice.

The views at sail away will more than make up for the lack of Florida weather. This a definite plus for us.

We should have warmer weather by the second day :). We have so many roll call plans to keep us occupied, we won't notice the cool weather! And, Matt will keep us busy too :)

I would go with the Vista also but I'm very excited to board her in June 2016. The one thing I'm bummed about my Mediterranean cruise on her is lack of sea days, I'd LOVE to have 6 sea days on that ship. I think with the family lounge you'll be in great shape and not feel too cramped. I wish I could take time off in November to do it, I really want that cruise now!

Edited by Club Disney Chandler