Early Saver with OBC - Price Drop

Schoifmom

If you book an Early Saver that includes an OBC and you have a price drop, do you loose your OBC if you take that price drop? This is the first time that we have had an OBC with our ES fare. The price drop at this point is less than the OBC that we have, so if we would loose it, it wouldn't make sense to apply for the price protection.

Thanks!

If you book an Early Saver that includes an OBC and you have a price drop, do you loose your OBC if you take that price drop? This is the first time that we have had an OBC with our ES fare. The price drop at this point is less than the OBC that we have, so if we would loose it, it wouldn't make sense to apply for the price protection.

Thanks!

Exactly.......:)

Thanks!

Yes, in some instances you can lose the OBC. It really depends on the promo. Always ask first about what would happen to your OBC if there's a price drop happening before you tell them to go ahead with the price drop..just so no surprises. Obviously, if you still make out on the "plus" side, then do it.

For me, I ended up foregoing some price drops recently because it came out to be an "even wash" and wasn't worth it, so I just left it alone. After my final payment, there was another price drop. I lost some OBC but the price drop did put me in the "plus" side of things, so I went for it.

I also want to add that if anyone uses a TA who also gave an OBC (in addition to Carnival's OBC), the TA can also reduce or remove their OBC as well.

Just be sure to always ask first.

• 1 month later...
You are correct in your thinking. The price drop needs to exceed your fare plus (or minus :confused:) the OBC.

Fare $2000 OBC $200 New price would need to be $1799 or less to apply

Does that apply if the new lower price also includes an OBC for the same amount as the original booking?

Does that apply if the new lower price also includes an OBC for the same amount as the original booking?

You'd lose the original OBC but gain the other OBC instead. In other words, the 2nd OBC would replace the first. Just make sure you'd come out ahead.

...and always look at the taxes and port fees. They DO fluctuate. When you submit a form, in effect they cancel and re-book the new fare. That's why sometimes you lose OBC. If the taxes and fees have gone up, they will be "re-booked" at the new rate....

• 3 months later...

Thanks to the advice on Cruise Critic on monitoring and submitting a price protection claim we saved 90 bucks per person. We lost the $50 bucks total OBC but we are saving more.. and I have to pay more towards the deposit before our final payment on 2/23 but my Carnival gift card of $500 from AARP is on it's way today (per UPS tracking! (another great cruise critic tip).

This has me thinking about my scenario. I booked a cruise on board with the current early saver promotion that ends 2-15. there's on board credit with that plus for booking while on the ship. Carnival canceled that cruise so I booked another date and they gave me on board credit because of the cancellation. There's already been a price drop which I got no problem but I was told after the 15th I could lose my on board credit with another price drop.

So my question is, if there is another price drop could they take away all of the on board credit or just the credit from the promotion? Logically I would think they can't touch the on board credit from booking on board or what they gave me because they canceled the previous cruise...but I don't know.

When we booked we got a 50/room obc with a 250.00/room deposit. The price dropped 30.00/person last week and I called my PVP. We kept the same deposit, the obc and got a 60/room price drop. My advise call your PVP. You never know what they can do.

Maybe I am lucky but I book early saver and usually get the $100 OBC. I've put in for fare drops and never ever have lost that $100.

Hmmmm

It depends on what your OBC is for ... is it for booking on the ship or shareholder credit? If so, then you won't lose it.

If is a TA promotion, then you might or might not lose it.

If it is part of a promotional fare (such as ES with $25 pp OBC), then you will lose it unless the fare you are price matching to also has OBC. In that case, you will get whatever the new OBC is for the fare you are price matching to.

Edited by Schoifmom